Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI really like your review !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 61>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 16:48
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Another great review John for Serge Bringolf Clap I'm glad this album gets a little more exposure, it really deserves it.
I came across this album a few weeks ago with the warm recommendation by Mr. Aussie Byrd, and I simply can't stop listening to it. I still can't swallow the debut just yet but I'm getting there.
By the way thanks Sagi and yes it's one of my favourite Zeuhl albums now. The guy knows how to drum and it's so cool that Eckert from Art Zoyd is on it.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 06:20
Just wanted to highlight a reviewer we sadly don't see that often anymore, Greenback.

This one shows that you don't necessarily have to write bible length reviews to illustrate the sound and feel of an album: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=32436

Man, I love this one - and it's actually a fine and very apt description of said album methinksLOL 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 07:22
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Just wanted to highlight a reviewer we sadly don't see that often anymore, Greenback.

This one shows that you don't necessarily have to write bible length reviews to illustrate the sound and feel of an album: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=32436

Man, I love this one - and it's actually a fine and very apt description of said album methinksLOL 
I love humming refrigerators.  To each his own, I guess. LOL
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 15:15
Well me too Steve. I just love the way he describes the album, even if he hates it with a vengeance
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 14:16
Just wanted to highlight one of my current faves. Coasterzombie has been dishing out reviews for RPI releases, known and obscure, like it was going out of fashion. It has been a guilty pleasure of mine, putting albums on he just reviewed and thereby also rekindling my love for the music.
This guy should be reviewer methinks. No doubt about it

- Douglas Adams
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 01:36

stefro, good man! Thumbs Up At last, another soul that enjoys Holger's Movies. You've emphasized some pretty interesting points about the album, like: 

"Whilst that album [Canaxis] - which was also pieced together from various scraps of samples and radio recordings - proved a somewhat difficult listen, 'Movies' is anything but. Humorous, catchy and utterly fascinating, this the kind of album that showcases the right kind of curious experimentation, with Czukay leading the listener through a merry dance of sounds, textures and styles without ever forgetting the key rock music ingredients. "

I wonder which track off of the album is your favorite. Smile
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 08:06

Just wanted to highlight one of my current faves. Coasterzombie has been dishing out reviews for RPI releases, known and obscure, like it was going out of fashion. It has been a guilty pleasure of mine, putting albums on he just reviewed and thereby also rekindling my love for the music.
I've been enjoying his various reviews as well David Thumbs Up

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 08:07
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

stefro, good man! Thumbs Up At last, another soul that enjoys Holger's Movies. You've emphasized some pretty interesting points about the album, like: 

"Whilst that album [Canaxis] - which was also pieced together from various scraps of samples and radio recordings - proved a somewhat difficult listen, 'Movies' is anything but. Humorous, catchy and utterly fascinating, this the kind of album that showcases the right kind of curious experimentation, with Czukay leading the listener through a merry dance of sounds, textures and styles without ever forgetting the key rock music ingredients. "

I wonder which track off of the album is your favorite. Smile
Well you guys have my interest in this one. I have Canaxix and Full Circle but haven't heard this one.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 08:10
Oh and i wanted to mention Ivan's review of SINKADUS' first album. Can't believe he found it in a bargain bin. It's been out of print for a while so it really caught my eye to see his review on the front page. Man there are so many albums from the nineties and early 00's that you just don't see reviewed anymore unlike when I first started coming here in '05.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 08:11
It's a funny release. I think it has this merry-go-round feel to it. Fairground soundtrack or something. It's definitely an altogether different beast than the two you have John. The instruments also sound very peculiar.

EDIT: I was referring to the Holger Czukay album...

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 21 2013 at 08:12

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 08:14
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I've been enjoying his various reviews as well David Thumbs Up

I'm glad I'm not the only one who've noticed himThumbs Up

- Douglas Adams
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 05:17
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I love humming refrigerators.  To each his own, I guess. LOL

Haha I thought that was gonna be a cracker of a review but it left me stunned cold instead.

Humming refrigeraters and killer bees are Tangerine Dream's specialty, dont knock it! LOL
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 05:21
Onto good reviews, read a nice one today here

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=934397

Jim really nails it in a short space of writing

Love the way he writes
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2013 at 17:21
this is a lovely piece of work and described the album so well from start to finish... passionate and well-structured

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=943203
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 08:41
Must comment on David's (Guldbamsen) last string of reviews, that as always are so fun to read. Excellent album picking from the french scene. Some really extraordinary obscure masterpieces that really deserves a bigger exposure, from Dashiell Hedayatt to Triode, Komintern, Alpes and Vannier, all fantastic!

Keep up the sacred work man!! Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 08:50
You're too kind Sagi, thanks a million manEmbarrassed

I am actually on my way to Italy for my upcoming reviews, just in case you're interested in following my review road trip. 
I'll catch you later though - I was in the midst of writing one.
Again thank you for the praise my friend, it's always nice to see people still read the frontpageHug

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 12:20

Must comment on David's (Guldbamsen) last string of reviews, that as always are so fun to read. Excellent album picking from the french scene. Some really extraordinary obscure masterpieces that really deserves a bigger exposure, from Dashiell Hedayatt to Triode, Komintern, Alpes and Vannier, all fantastic!

I've really been enjoying David's reviews as well, especially the albums he's chosen.Clap Keep it going man, no pressure though.LOL

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 13:18
Thanks John! 
I promise I'll keep it going as long as I can. Summer vacation from studies, so until I have to start thinking about some paperwork that I need to do before I begin, I'll continue to write.

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 13:23
Maybe pressure will do him good Wink
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2013 at 20:26

Ditto!  I loved the quote he made on the "Procession" album today (now I have to get it).  I am the same on the RPI stuff.
 Qutoe: "On here I've decided that the singing is just so damn gorgeous in itself, that I'm not even slightly interested in finding out what he's singing about."

I must also put out a shout of RPI praise for Michael "Aussie Byrd Brother", his reviews have been quite in depth and insightful.  Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 61>