Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI really like your review !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2013 at 21:50
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Yeah..well, that's arguably not the point of a music review.  It is supposed to critique the approach of the artist and not necessarily describe it in a lot of detail.  I like musical analysis in a review to better elaborate the opinions but, especially comparisons by way of "sounds exactly like this or that band" can either give away too much or set false expectations for the listener.  

If the point of a music review is not primarily to let one know what the music is like so one might be informed on whether or not to buy it, then what is the point of a review? To entertain?
Heh...I get the fact that there are multiple reasons regarding the objectives of a review but imho the main one is to inform us about the  music itself. If that at least is not a good part of the review then the review is not really helping anyone and it becomes just entertainment.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2013 at 03:13
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Yeah..well, that's arguably not the point of a music review.  It is supposed to critique the approach of the artist and not necessarily describe it in a lot of detail.  I like musical analysis in a review to better elaborate the opinions but, especially comparisons by way of "sounds exactly like this or that band" can either give away too much or set false expectations for the listener.  

If the point of a music review is not primarily to let one know what the music is like so one might be informed on whether or not to buy it, then what is the point of a review? To entertain?

Heh...I get the fact that there are multiple reasons regarding the objectives of a review but imho the main one is to inform us about the  music itself. If that at least is not a good part of the review then the review is not really helping anyone and it becomes just entertainment.

Smile

I read tons of reviews which helped me understand what's the music like, I'm trying to do the same. Reviews are definitely essential and there a lot of good ones around here.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 21:23
I really liked Guldbamsen's Witthuser & Westrupp review of their Trips & Traum. I probably would have already owned this if it was listed under Krautrock instead of Folk. A twisted album cover too. Another one goes on my list.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 21:45
I was thinking much the same way about Dave's new Agitation Free live album review, John, and I ended up just playing their `Second' album at work after reading that review!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2013 at 22:30
John, if I'd read it at the same time, I would have praised you for your Eberhard Weber review too! I really need to read a whole string of them and acknowledge them in one go!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 04:05
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

John, if I'd read it at the same time, I would have praised you for your Eberhard Weber review too! I really need to read a whole string of them and acknowledge them in one go!

Thanks Michael, by the way I picked up that Sundenfall II album based on your excellent review. Man you buggers keep costing me money.LOL

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 05:23
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Thanks Michael, by the way I picked up that Sundenfall II album based on your excellent review. Man you buggers keep costing me money.LOL

Oh, I really hope you like that album, John! It's very special to me, these days I reserve listening to it on slightly rainy lights, drizzly drives, quiet nightshifts.

It's a real gem, please let me know what you think after you've given it some spins.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 05:45
Thank you guysHug

John, I know you're a little wary when it comes to folk albums, and even if this one's bereft of any rock, I still think you could get into it. Enough psych in there to fulfil your marmalade dreams, for sure. Here's hoping anyway, who knows with you CanadiansTongue
Oh and stop luring me into buying more stuff already!!!! I really digged that Eberhard Weber review, and you know I'm a sucker for his smooth stylings. One of the very best bass players imo.

Bruce, you should definitely look into that live album by Agitation Free, if you dig that second album of theirs. The sound quality is also extraordinary(damn, something I forgot to mention in my reviewOuch
Btw I just caught your ØSC reviewClap I really want that one in my possession asap...

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 29 2013 at 07:00
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 07:57

I really liked Guldbamsen's Witthuser & Westrupp review of their Trips & Traum. I probably would have already owned this if it was listed under Krautrock instead of Folk. A twisted album cover too. Another one goes on my list.

Krautfolk sounds tasty.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 13:17

Thants what you get for listening to reviews....
Wink
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 13:20
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Smile

I read tons of reviews which helped me understand what's the music like, I'm trying to do the same. Reviews are definitely essential and there a lot of good ones around here.

Reviews can indeed be helpful and  that was my point in that it should give a good idea of what the music is like and not just be an exercise in writing.
Haquin
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 18:50
Originally posted by LinusW LinusW wrote:

Krautfolk sounds tasty.

I love that title, hey a new sub-genre !

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2013 at 18:53

Oh, I really hope you like that album, John! It's very special to me, these days I reserve listening to it on slightly rainy lights, drizzly drives, quiet nightshifts.

It's a real gem, please let me know what you think after you've given it some spins.
It will be a while before I get to it, i'm back into the reviewing mode again but it's down the list a bit. If anyone else has any Folk suggestions that are either Krautrock or Psychedelic flavoured my ears are open for business.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 04:02
Prog folk suggestions eh John?

First of all, you really need to check out Spanish act Errobi's Ametsaren Bidea. There are some psychedelics in there, but even more fusion, I'd say. I think you'd love this track, and album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or_6DmYcAQY

For Krautfolk, I'd say:
Wulf Zendik's Zendik http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bc4WhrdYcA (mad as monkeys, but I love it)
Emtidi's Saat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgBNZvQ4cPQ (ultimate sit on the lawn album)
Okko Bekker's Sitar & Electronics (w/ A.R. & Machines) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKqERrMGMJs (self-explanatory really) 
Øresund Space Collective's West, Space & Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQZhtxNcB18 (ØSC sits down for a cup of tea and some doobies)
Aktuala - any of their albums really http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzGa3TcL-Kc (I would imagine you having a bit of a hard time getting into them though, but to me they are "Krautfolk")
Although some of the above are featured in Indo Prog/Raga Rock - they still sit well beside the Krautfolk moniker imhoSmile

Psychedelic folk:
Emeraude's Geoffroy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dknjpQG89Y (Floydian folk rock outta France)
Carol Of Harvest's s/t http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpxI02Y5RrE (not sure how you'll feel about those vocals, but just wait until the synths start breaking looseBig smile)
Tusmørke's Underjordisk Tusmørke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm4nh2_xNlc (new retrodelia release with lots of mellotron)

Cheerio partner, I hope you'll find something to your liking. I know how fickle your tastes are in this department.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 09:58
THomas from T asked me to write a review but i couldn't felt so different than David about the album. And thanks for your reviews, David, Im always looking for innovative and underground stuff, and that's what you got, fella.

Edited by VOTOMS - August 30 2013 at 09:59
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 10:58
Originally posted by VOTOMS VOTOMS wrote:

THomas from T asked me to write a review but i couldn't felt so different than David about the album. And thanks for your reviews, David, Im always looking for innovative and underground stuff, and that's what you got, fella.

I thought I'd turn out to be the only dissenting voice there... Nice review too Lucas, I like how you managed to draw a parallel to how you go about your own music - making it slightly more personalSmile

Thanks for your support, and hey when you've collected records for something like 20 years, I bet you'll have just as many obscure and underground recommendations of your own. Heck, I've already read a couple of your reviews of records I had never heard of before, so kudos my Brazilian friend.

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 16:24
Wow David you've given me plenty to check out and I apprecite it. I'll investigate this long weekend as the weather sounds like it's going to be fairly wet. I'll let you know what I think.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2013 at 22:29
Hell. Yes.

A great review, for a great album - `In Hoc Signo' by Ingranaggi della Valle - by an always great reviewer, Tszirmay, someone who's opinion and thoughts always influence my future purchases!

Thanks again for constantly crippling my wallet, Mr Roxy!
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2013 at 01:35

Hell. Yes.

A great review, for a great album - `In Hoc Signo' by Ingranaggi della Valle - by an always great reviewer, Tszirmay, someone who's opinion and thoughts always influence my future purchases!

Thanks again for constantly crippling my wallet, Mr Roxy!

Pffffff! My ex-wife had a gambling problem, I at least INVEST in my collection and the pleasure derived from my purchases lasts forever. 

May your wallet die a leathery death soon.Embarrassed
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2013 at 02:46
Excellent Karlstad review David, I'm glad you shed some light on one of the best live performances maybe ever recorded. I must agree with everything you said, this is SBB on freaking fire!! I try not to listening to it too much beacuse it is sooooo good (Ermm that came out with no sense at all...), that way every time I'm listening to it I'm left drooling on the floor like a satisfied rhino. I may replace my Jimi avatar with Antymos Apostolis some day...Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 61>