Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI really like your review !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 61>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 14:14
Hear hearClap

I love reading Ian's reviews and have missed them like crazy (as well as his furry ways on the forum) 

I know I've highlighted this one before, but his write up of The Residents' Commercial Album is just ridiculously funny. First time I read it, I nearly wet myself:

3 stars Yet each man kills the thing he loves, from all let this be heard. Some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word. The coward does it with a kiss, the brave man with the sword (Oscar Wilde)

The Residents appear to have attempted a Reductio ad absurdum ploy here to break down the constituent parts of pop music so that they are revealed as products in the builder's yard.

They protest too much. (and don't ever let them do your loft extension)

Perhaps the most disingenuous aspects of this endeavor are threefold;

1 - It is precisely the repetitive elements of pop music that define pop music.

2 - Every masterpiece ever created in western diatonic music can be reduced to just 12 notes and no amount of dice juggling monkeys are ever going to come up with Barber's Adagio For Strings of Bananas.

3 - See Oscar Wilde.

The Residents would not exist as a viable entity were it not for the platform afforded to them by popular music, as how else could we reference their work against what it purports to deconstruct?

(Hey check this out guys, it's a piss-take of that funeral procession music they use on Neptune!?)

Despite these niggles, what is presented on Commercial Album if taken on its own merits, is yet another intriguing installment of some of the most bizarre and 'uneasy listening' you are ever likely to encounter. The percussion has almost a 'toddler banging on Mum's Tupperware' effect and there is a playful and childlike element to the Residents that sits uncomfortably beside its sinister and darker elder sibling.

It's practically impossible to tell you what these tracks sound like as it would be like asking Sherlock Holmes to provide a description of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. So as glib as the following may appear, they are sincere testament to what the contents do suggest, at least to me.

My Work Is So Behind - Yosemite Sam tackles rap but is interrupted by an incoming call on his cellphone

Birds in the Trees - The Beach Boys undergo a full body search by Customs in Hawai

Picnic Boy - Rare and previously unreleased Fun Boy Three and Mud collaboration

When We Were Young - Elgar's rejected score for 'The Spy Who Loved Me'

Love Leaks Out - Morrissey auditions as the replacement for Bob Marley in the Wailers

The Act of Being Polite - The on board demo that shipped with Casio's flagship Dictaphone

Loss of Innocence - Deputy Dawg sings the 'Jaws' theme

Simple Song - Like hearing Kraftwerk at the other end of a telephone

Ups and Downs - A lullaby sung by Vlad the Impaler

Possesions - Status Quo cover version by the house band in the Betty Ford Clinic

Moisture - Apocalypso Now

Amber - A sea shanty written by a shipwreck

I'm not even sure if the Residents would much care if they were considered 'progressive' or not, but I would place their tradition as belonging to that of psychedelia and 60's trash culture. For those with an adventurous spirit and a receptive set of ears, this record contains a bounty of unknown pleasures and more.

unsettling/beautiful/cute/kitsch/insidious (Delete as applicable)

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 14:25
I've read that one before, it's a doozy. LOL
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 14:30
Deputy Dawg sings the 'Jaws' themeLOL
It's so funny cause it's true.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 20:50
Lemming was in fine form on that one; interesting he references Doyle, as I hear his voice in Iain's writing.   Those of us who read SACD in our early years seem to be inescapably influenced by his style.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 21:03
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Just had a ball reading Iain's (ExittheLemming) lengthy and entertaining in depth analysis of The Who's underappreciated "Face Dances" album.  I've been very busy at work and only meant to browse over the new reviews but I got sucked in.  Bravo!

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1125729

I enjoyed the hell out of that.  Thanks Iain!   Clap

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2014 at 21:50
Many thanks for all your kind words and encouragement, it's certainly appreciated.Thumbs Up
Interesting to read David's Sir Arthur Conan Doyle comment as I've only read Hound of the Baskervilles (and wasn't that crazy about it to be honest - must have kindled my love for the stilted tweeness of Noel Coward and PG Wodehouse etc) I think my muse is closer to the bumbling Doctor Watson than that of the chiseled glass vowels of Sherlock Holmes.Wink

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 21:16
Hooray! So excited to see another rview for Sundenfall, and it's by John!

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1129012

Cheers for name-dropping me too, my friend!

Really glad you enjoyed that album, I'm going to give it a spin later tonight   
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 22:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The way Philosaurus just wrote about the new Nichelodeon album makes me wish that he'd review more often. I really digged that one...oh and for the folks around here who don't know him by that exact name - it'll be Man With HatEmbarrassed
Anyways have some clappies on me big fella, what a reviewClapClap

Thanks sir!

In a way I wish I did too. (I had a problem a few years ago that made navigating the site a bit of a chore, and then after that was fixed I lost the computer that I used for such things. I certainly wasn't going to review on a laptop. I also still need to transfer all my music back on to the computer, as I like to listen to the album as I review it...which will take me awhile. ) But I'm slowly working back towards it. Have a small list of things I'd like to review so hopefully I'll get around to it soonish.

And not just to return the compliment, but your reviews are excellent reads and informative. Probably helps that we have a fairly similar taste in music.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 00:26
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Two very good reviews on the front page! First of all Dennis (The Crimson King) with his outstanding review to KC's box set, very informative and easy to read, keep up the good work man! Clap I would really love to own this baby since I have a few live albums.Second review for Apostolis (Psarros). Very good review for Mahjun! Clap I'm so glad you wrote a review for them since I offered them a few weeks ago to the site. Beautiful description of their music, every word is on the spot! I have all their albums and I must ask if you have any others?

Yeah! Right on! I miss The.Crimson.King.
Dennis really did nail that Road To Red Box set. A daunting task indeed. 26 discs. Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 00:59
I think I'm gonna cry a bit. This is the most positive laden forum I've ever seen on PA!
It is page after page of people complementing one another. This is how it should be.

Well, I'm joining the fun now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 01:02
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Aye, looking for praise in this thread was a tad optimistic.

Actually I think it's 90% optimistic. It's going pretty well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 01:17
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Thanks Sheavy, Finnforest, Guldbamsen, Dreadpirateroberts, and Atomic, I really appreciate your kind words and support! I greatly admire all you guys, and it's been a privilege being on this site with you all.

David - I owe you big time for the K.Schulze help!

Finnforest - I still owe you that second Jacula review - I've been slowly piecing it together recently!

Atomic - It was great catching up and saying hello at the Yes show we saw in Melbourne!

Catch all of you around on the Archives!

I'm late to this thread, so me 6th. You Rock, Byrd!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 01:37
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Just a quick shout out to my good friend Nick (Progbethyname) who is really working the cause, especially for prog metal reviews! His recent Sound of Contact review was very informative, and he's topped it just now with the Royal Hunt one.

To be honest, he's helping me how to approach reviewing some more prog-metal releases in the future, so I'm watching carefully!

Good work, buddy!

Well, if this doesn't inspire me to write more i don't know what can. Thank you so much, Michael.
Means a lot.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2014 at 04:37
If anyone is wondering what a good review looks like, point them here:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=221604

In fact, you can pick practically any review by Chicapah
(Rollie Anderson) and will be entertained and warmed by a funny, insightful, sincere and humble master of the written word.Thumbs Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 18:47
A great and convincing read by SecondLifeSyndrome for Rick Miller's Heart Of Darkness.

The first paragraph details a very angst and tense atmosphere that surrounds Miller's use of sound in co relation with the overall mood of the album. Put a smile on my face cause it made me think of Current 93's Dogs Blood Rising album, which is an album still to this day that I cannot listen to with headphones on...well super HD cans no less.
Anyway, I'm convinced I wanna buy the album. Thank you, Jason!
Catch ya later on The Prog Mind. ;)
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2014 at 19:52
Thanks, Nicholas!  And thanks for mentioning my pageBig smile
theprogmind.com
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 13:23
Second Life Syndrome's review of Frequency Drift's new album is as spot on as the listening experience itself. He got it! A brooding yet satisfying recording that cries out for more recognition. Bravo! Hug

Edited by tszirmay - February 13 2014 at 13:24
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Second Life Syndrome View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 14:30
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Second Life Syndrome's review of Frequency Drift's new album is as spot on as the listening experience itself. He got it! A brooding yet satisfying recording that cries out for more recognition. Bravo! Hug

Thanks!  I find myself enjoying more and more with each listen, too.
theprogmind.com
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 10:03
Yes really excellent review there Second Life Syndrome (Jason Spencer). Yes we've met on The Prog Mind a lot of times and that's always nice. Smile
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 02:29
I stumbled on DaveRoxit's review of Love Beach by ELP the other day and the following caustic description of Greg Lake's lyrical approach made me laugh, as well as being painfully (for an ELP fan) true:

"Lake's melodramatic ballad "For You" gets good mentions from time to time, but I fail to see why. This song is merely the culmination of the album's dominant lyrical theme, which again and again force the listener to understand that, yes, Greg Lake will love you hard, he will love you long, he will love you right, and also wrong; he will make love to ya, make love to ya, make love to ya, he will love you like nobody's ever loved you, he'll love you so hard you'll shake the stars and... oh my god Greg STOP IT. I wanted a rape whistle, listening to this album. You will smell like Greg Lake's chafed scrotum by the end of Side 1 alone. You have been amply warned."
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 61>