Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI really like your review !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 14:17
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Huzzah!

After about a two-year hiatus, Iain (ExittheLemming) has returned to eloquently make me feel dirty for liking stuff.

Truthfully, I feel better now for being not as into Trout Mask Replica as the bulk of my musical taste might suggest.

Welcome back!!!

Thanks. If my review is critical of anything it's those who profess to love Trout Mask Replica but never listen to it and of myself for not being able to appreciate it. You clearly belong to neither camp Big smile
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 15:40
Iain !   Been far too long.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 21:10
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Iain !   Been far too long.

Damn straight pear. Hope all is erm...peachy Big smile

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 04:24
What a brilliant review from the exiled Scotsman ...although I prefer the early version with the tennis analogy. Had me grinning from the get-go.
Welcome back Iain.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 04:30
Thanks David. Glad you enjoyed it.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 04:37
^ Sweet !!
I just looked backed at the Trout Mask reviews. I reviewed it with 3 stars - over 10 years ago. And what blows me out, is that I haven't spun this vinyl since that week I reviewed the damn thing. So, is this (alledged) work of art really necessary ????
Great analysis Lemmingman........
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 04:43
I always enjoy a well written review that reeks of irreverance and fun
-even when it completely misses the point of this wonderful album or maybe it doesn't and simply is unwilling to take the plunge into the rabbithole
Sour grapes from a big fan. To me Trout Mask is the perfect ending to a wild night out on the town. A couple of New Years back I remember listening to it on repeat with a friend of mine. I think some wires got crossed because it has made sense to me ever since - so much so that I completely forgot to shut it off when the guests arrived who all looked equally frightened and bewildered coming in the door. Good times.
It is also an album that goes incredibly well with a bit of herring and snaps. You'll thank me later.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 04:58
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I always enjoy a well written review that reeks of irreverance and fun
-even when it completely misses the point of this wonderful album or maybe it doesn't and simply is unwilling to take the plunge into the rabbithole
Sour grapes from a big fan. To me Trout Mask is the perfect ending to a wild night out on the town. A couple of New Years back I remember listening to it on repeat with a friend of mine. I think some wires got crossed because it has made sense to me ever since - so much so that I completely forgot to shut it off when the guests arrived who all looked equally frightened and bewildered coming in the door. Good times.
It is also an album that goes incredibly well with a bit of herring and snaps. You'll thank me later.

Well said. I think 'Trout' attracts so many coruscating and maybe unfair reviews because for me,  it speaks more from the free jazz sphere than the Avant/RIO Prog one. Apart from say, 'Moonlight on Vermont' and a couple of other tracks, it ain't really a rock album at all?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 05:06
In many ways you seem to hit the nail on the head with that post - even if it only touches upon the subject of expectations. No amount of prep work can prepare the average rocker for Trout Mask - even if you come from the avant lands not because it's the most bonkers and out there sh*te released north of Vesuvius, but because it basically is rockless.
Hell I've had more succes in getting people to listen to Mr. Bungle than Tangerine Dream. To me personally that is beyond weird.

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 05:23
I think my sister would dig Trout Mask more than any Tech-Death. She does enjoy certain Zappa when I play it, but can't stand any growl Metal - though always digs non-growl Opeth when it's playing.......(so for jokes, I'll play a track which has clean Vox merging into fierce growl moments. Fun reaction I get !!
Morningrise is just BRILLIANT for this.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 05:32
Mjeaah I wouldn't get my hopes up Tom
During my 15 year old love affair with this strange album I must have played it hundreds of times to women in various forms - some of em mad about music others just mad in general - and I have sadly never converted anyone. A couple of guys have taken the bait though but they both came across as some kind of weird Stephen Hawking and GG Allin combo.

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 29 2017 at 05:33

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 05:37
^ Like I said, I haven't spun the ole fishy mask album for over 10 years........
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 08:34
Nice to see Iain back to shake up the status quo. Now if we can only get him to review the Madcap with similar disdain, life would be perfect. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 02:09
Great to see Japanese all-girl band (well, one of their earlier line-ups!) getting some attention recently on the front page, with Ben Miller/Progfan97402's review of one of their best discs, `Goddess of Darkness' - timed nicely as well considering their very recent reunion concerts in Japan!

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1715784

Always cool to see Ben likes to jump around a whole range of genres too in what he reviews, something I like trying to do as well (although it's usually a blur of Italian prog and electronic stuff! ).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 06:28
^Seconded. Methinks a prog reviewer tag is in order (tbh it probably should've been handed out a long time ago).

- Douglas Adams
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 10:05
Great Memoriance review from the Aussie-Man !!!! Spot on, bro......Hug
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 04:31
Ulver's new one sounds both fascinating and repulsive to me. Trip hop, electronica, Gothic! So, it's worth a spin, thanks to aapatsos.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 09:23
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Great Memoriance review from the Aussie-Man !!!! Spot on, bro......Hug

Aww, cheers, mate, I thought you might like it seeing as you dig the album so much too! Now there's an album very much deserving of plenty more attention...

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Seconded. Methinks a prog reviewer tag is in order (tbh it probably should've been handed out a long time ago).

For sure, Dave, and I'll bump a second request for ViannaProghead/Jaime Silva, the guy does terrific work across a range of genres and albums.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 07:31
I loved Ivan's Jordsjo review; captured some of my thoughts on this album perfectly. Clap

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 07:43
Well dip me in brie and call me a high cholesterol niche snack if you like, but that old ex admin rascal Bob Easy Livin has submitted an uber spiffy review of Pendragon's Masquerade 20 DVD/video. We are not worthy....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 61>