Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI really like your review !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 13:02
^Yeah, it's starting to get to that time when I start skipping over the over saturated reviews, so your's probably made it in just under the wire! LOL

Edited by SteveG - June 10 2017 at 04:08
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 04:10
Good to see Gerinski back with a Gotic review! The Grand Vizier's on the Endless River was good too, but I only made it as far as the forth paragraph before fatigue set in. Here's a hint: edit, edit, edit.

Edited by SteveG - June 10 2017 at 06:37
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 06:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Good to see Gerinski back with a Gotic review! The Grand Vizier's on the Endless River was good too, but I only made it as far as the forth paragraph before fatigue set in. Here's a hint: edit, edit, edit.

A good rule of thumb is the following: don't write a review that takes longer to read than the album takes to play! LOL 

Someone wrote a Mr Bungle review a year or two ago that i still haven't been able to finish because it's like the longest review EVER!!!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 18:03
Thanks to Michael (ABB) and Tszirmay's reviews of Mad Fellaz - II (although awhile back), I just got that a couple of days ago and just damn, I have been playing it non-stop!!  

Thanks guys for the great reviews which turned me on to this band!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 13:34
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Aw, that's very nice of you, Steve, thanks, mate. I'm not entirely happy with the review, but all good. I just wanted to slot it into the front page while there were no other `Is This The Life We Really Want' reviews there, but give it a few hours, I'm sure another will pop up before too long! It's not too often we get such high-profile releases in Prog Land!

Michael. It's a decent read, my friend. Not to worry.
Also, I finally got some great time with the album yesterday. Spun it about three 3 times. It's a hit with me.
It's nothing short of a brilliant mood piece. What I mean by that is you really have to be in the right head space to fully appreciate this album. It's not a casual listen and I like how your review kind of indicated that to be so.

Thanks mate.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 15:45
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

A good rule of thumb is the following: don't write a review that takes longer to read than the album takes to play! LOL 

Someone wrote a Mr Bungle review a year or two ago that i still haven't been able to finish because it's like the longest review EVER!!!!

Readers and writers come in all different speeds. I managed to get through this post 1/3 through the second disc of Tales.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 05:05
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Thanks to Michael (ABB) and Tszirmay's reviews of Mad Fellaz - II (although awhile back), I just got that a couple of days ago and just damn, I have been playing it non-stop!!  

Hey, Jim, great to hear you enjoyed the album (I'm sure Thomas would be stoked as well), always nice to find out someone likes an album of something we reviewed as opposed to a `What the hell are they on about?!' response...which I'm sure has also happened plenty!

I know the band kind of splintered a few months back, but are trying to work through it, hopefully it all comes together, there's too much talent in that group based on the strength of their first two discs!

By the way, did you get the album on CD or LP? I've only got the compact disc, but damn I envy anyone who picks that second one up on the larger vinyl format, just look at that cover!
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 10:56
Thanks Jim and Mike, glad to see that our words have an effect! Hug
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 21:19
^ still waiting for your Josquin Messonnier review, Tszirmay.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 08:36

Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

By the way, did you get the album on CD or LP? I've only got the compact disc, but damn I envy anyone who picks that second one up on the larger vinyl format, just look at that cover!  

Hey Michael, my usual method of checking out new band is to buy a digital download (high res if possible), if I really like it I will get the CD, which I will in this case.  Unfortunately, I have not been in the vinyl world in a long time :(
But yeah, that album cover is a killer!
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 22:27
I enjoyed Aussie-Byrd-Brother's compelling review of Spanish heavy prog band The Storm's eponymous debut album. I specifically want to call out the vivid adjectives used to describe the music: "ballsy heavy rock", "Hammond organ-dominated", "rocking blast of energy", "dense dirty Hammond backing", "strangled acid-rock wailing soloing", "howling guitar histrionics".

I have already added The Storm my future music acquisitions list.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 04:23
Great front page today thanks to Aussie-Byrd-Bro., Matti, the Jester, Warthur and Luka for his review of Предзакатный Взор на Земли Папируса by Senmuth! Clap
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 04:08
The 1000th review by Kev Roland. Clap And of the band that got him into prog in the first place, Galahad. Very cool.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 17:26
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

I enjoyed Aussie-Byrd-Brother's compelling review of Spanish heavy prog band The Storm's eponymous debut album. I specifically want to call out the vivid adjectives used to describe the music: "ballsy heavy rock", "Hammond organ-dominated", "rocking blast of energy", "dense dirty Hammond backing", "strangled acid-rock wailing soloing", "howling guitar histrionics".

I have already added The Storm my future music acquisitions list.

Great front page today thanks to Aussie-Byrd-Bro., Matti, the Jester, Warthur and Luka for his review of [URL=http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=40571" rel="nofollow]<span style="font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold;]Предзакатный Взор на Земли Папируса</span>[/URL] by Senmuth! Clap

Belated cheers, guys, (sorry, been away from the site the last few days), thank you.

Robert, if you decide to take a chance on The Storm, there's a great 2 CD reissue of their two albums called `Lost in Time', limited to 1000 copies, that's well worth grabbing! Both sound very different from each-other, but are equally great albums.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 18:10
Actually, I just wanted to thank Matti for dropping no less than FOUR superb Italian album reviews in a row recently, with his run of the latest Universal Totem Orchestra, Phoenix Again, Panther and C. and Il Tempio delle Clessidre write-ups. Sadly I'm still waiting on my order with these titles so I feel I dropped the ball in not having gotten around to them yet, so it's very appreciated that he offered his usual excellence in discussing those particular recent Italian titles.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 00:47

Robert, if you decide to take a chance on The Storm, there's a great 2 CD reissue of their two albums called `Lost in Time', limited to 1000 copies, that's well worth grabbing! Both sound very different from each-other, but are equally great albums.

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation, Michael!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 04:22
It's really good to see a lot of positivity in this thread as all the reviewers, if you agree with them or not, really put a lot a heart and effort into their reviews!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 13:37
Ah, Jefferson Airplane Takes Off! Now there's an oldie to warm my old hippie heart. Good review Silly Pup, but I think the album falls more towards folk rock than psych pop, but it was a great review. Nice to see Nil Recurring reviewed by VianaProghead. A very underrated album from PT featuring one Robert Fripp.

Edited by SteveG - July 07 2017 at 13:40
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 19:57

Ah, Jefferson Airplane Takes Off! Now there's an oldie to warm my old hippie heart. Good review Silly Pup, but I think the album falls more towards folk rock than psych pop, but it was a great review. Nice to see Nil Recurring reviewed by VianaProghead. A very underrated album from PT featuring one Robert Fripp.
                                                                                                       /
Hey, buddy! Thanks for the kind words. My tail is wagging. Woof! ʕ•́ᴥ•̀ʔ/

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2017 at 05:39
Good reviews from Laquearsaur as I really dig his eclectic tastes (from Queen to DT to Zappa) and another good Jefferson Airplane review from Silly Pup. As I recall, and that's no guarantee of accuracy, JA was never a top tier hippie/sixties band on the east coast. As you stated, they were products of the late 50's/early 60's folk boom on their first two albums before going hard/acid rock with "White Rabbit" and "Someone to love."

It was the Beatles that dominated hippie/sixties era listening and over the top interest along with artists related by extension like Cream and Hendrix, who were embraced by the Beatles either collectively or individually. Everyone else was really second rate.

Edited by SteveG - July 10 2017 at 08:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4344454647 61>