Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI really like your review !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 01:23
Have mention here about really great review from Wigwam´s Hard `n`Horny made by Silly Puppy. As a one detail from it he might not known (also many other outer Finnish people) that Wigwam members draw themselves 400 copies of original covers. Many of them just have band name or something like that, but some of the first ones were truly artistic pieces (Jim & Mats specially were also great drawers). You can see some of them in the discogs sites (Images of the first pressing). Really like the one that is made from Bands Music From Big Pink. These original pieces are naturally very expensive, I have seen only one in a shop and that wasn´t original, somebody has glued later articles from Wigwam into it and maybe even drawn more to it.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 13:11
Strawbs Ferryman's Curse: Excellent one, Steve.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 07:37
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Strawbs Ferryman's Curse: Excellent one, Steve.

Thanks kindly Mr. B. As we both share many musical tastes that extend to Neil Young, Tom Petty, etc., I think that you would love the Strawbs 40th Anniversary album titled Strawberry Fayre vol.1, that showcases both the various Strawbs incarnations through the years that got together in 2009 to play live, as well as stellar folk and acoustic sets from former members Brian Willoughbly, Roy Hill and John Ford. Dave Lambert resurrects his pre Strawbs group called Fire and they are a revelation. The album also includes what I consider the definitive version of Cousins' solo epic Blue Angel that is greatly aided by Blue Weaver's mellotron flutes and strings and super infectious fluid guitar leads from Willoughbly.

I've returned to this double disc at least one a month since picking it up a couple of years ago as it's become a staple for me.

Edited by SteveG - January 08 2018 at 09:50
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 13:17
^ nice, haven't heard that one yet, sounds quite interesting. Thanks the rec. Steve.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 16:17
I agree that the Strawberry Fayre version of Blue Angel is very good. I wouldn't go as far as saying it is definitive over the more wistful studio version by Dave Cousiins - but as a live recreation, they do a great job. Blue Weaver's mellotron washes over the first third somewhat, but creates a good atmosphere and the dual vocals on the chorus with Cathryn Craig work well. Brian Willoughby's guitar work is definitely a highlight, especially towards the end - and gives it a more triumphant conclusion than the melancholic studio version. Both are great in their own right and Dave Cousin's voice amazes when you think it's a 40th anniversary recording.

The rest of the release has some great highlights too, while Volume 2 sees Rick Wakeman joining Dave in some keyboard interpretations very successfully.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 04:30
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I agree that the Strawberry Fayre version of Blue Angel is very good. I wouldn't go as far as saying it is definitive over the more wistful studio version by Dave Cousiins - but as a live recreation, they do a great job. Blue Weaver's mellotron washes over the first third somewhat, but creates a good atmosphere and the dual vocals on the chorus with Cathryn Craig work well. Brian Willoughby's guitar work is definitely a highlight, especially towards the end - and gives it a more triumphant conclusion than the melancholic studio version. Both are great in their own right and Dave Cousin's voice amazes when you think it's a 40th anniversary recording.

The rest of the release has some great highlights too, while Volume 2 sees Rick Wakeman joining Dave in some keyboard interpretations very successfully.
I say it's definitive as it closely shows how the song would have sounded in a symphonic context (which it cries out for) with the Grave New World Strawbs lineup instead of Cousins' ad hoc Two Weeks Last Summer recording group. I'm no purist so I have no problem dismissing what I feel are subpar efforts.

However, the vol. 2 version features a good outing by Wakeman and Cousins that's centered on the Witchwood album, but has
little surprises compared to vol. 1, IMHO.

Edited by SteveG - January 09 2018 at 04:31
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 10:41
Fair points made - definitely an impressive live recreation. I can live with both versions - a superb song!

“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 10:56
^ Agreed. As a wise old record producer once said "You can't keep a good song down. It's beauty will always shine through."
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 19:50
perhaps this should be moved to the ripe Strawbs thread?  What there is none?  Hmmm
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 04:16
Another great "prog from around the universe" homepage this morning! Super interesting, especially the RIO and jazz/rock fusion reviews! Thumbs Up

Edited by SteveG - January 10 2018 at 04:18
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 19:43
Really enjoyed Aussie Michael and Bruford Drew's reviews on ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI's latest, outstanding stuff. I'm glad I'm not the only one blown away by this. Michael said it was their most varied and volitile to date while Drew praised it for being complicated and creative. No I'm not being paid by the band to say this.LOL
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 23:06
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Really enjoyed Aussie Michael and Bruford Drew's reviews on ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI's latest, outstanding stuff. I'm glad I'm not the only one blown away by this. Michael said it was their most varied and volitile to date while Drew praised it for being complicated and creative. No I'm not being paid by the band to say this.LOL

Thanks, John, but I actually have you to thank for even getting around to reviewing it! I was initially put off by the length of the disc, but your initial rave spurred me onto keeping at it! Dozens of listens later, and here we are!

Ironically, I had planned to post my review a few days ago, and literally as I was just about to do so, Drew posted his! So I felt it only fair to let his superb write-up stay on the front page before I dropped mine.

By the way, John, EXCELLENT review a week or so back of Zoltan's `First Stage Zoltan' album! I've been obsessed with that album since it first came out, and when your terrific review popped up for it, I thought `Awesome, glad to see some others have reviewed it besides me'....and then soon realised I never got around to writing one for it!

Actually going to play the album again right now!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 23:50
great to see "Seven Widows" by BELIEVE getting glowing, enthusiastic and coherent reviews from Tarcisiomauro and now Brufordfreak
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 09:40
Another killer homepage by the usual suspects! Damo, Neu!mann, Jester, Aussie-Bird Bro, Walkscore and ViannaProghead. Killer!

Edited by SteveG - January 25 2018 at 09:42
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 14:17
Excellent review of King Crimson's 2017 Live in Chicago album by Scott (Evolver)!

Got to see them on the 2017 tour (not at Chicago though) so the album helps me relive the show, but the album is fantastic.  Nice to see others hear it as I did.  Scott nailed it on Mel Collins and also that Fripp actually played stuff from Lizard (which they did at the Raleigh show I was at also).

Great job Scott! (going to try the clapping emoticon and see if crapcha is still messing with me)....

edit-no luck crapcha still there, not going to mess with an emoticon, but imagine 3 clapping emoticons
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 15:14
Clap Big clappies to BrufordFreak for his review of Fate Outsmarts Desire by Kaprekar's Constant. It was impossible for me to fathom a collective of artsy types making prog music until reading this detailed review that conveys so much info on the music without being the least bit long winded. I'll be checking them out ASAP. 

Edited by SteveG - February 02 2018 at 04:14
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 06:25
Sorry to see him (and several others) rapidly disappearing off the front page due to the angry idiot with little attention span on fire at the moment , but mad props to Mellotron John for showing some love for the sole Kurki album from 2008. I forgot I had the LP of this and how much I used to play it, and John really does the album justice. Lovers of Paatos and Anekdoten would dig the hell out of that female fronted band. Well done, John, and thanks for the reminder!

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1872040

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - February 05 2018 at 06:26
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 06:36
^ More internal strife? Yikes!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 06:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ More internal strife? Yikes!

Just a very thinly veiled dig at mr anti-Meshuggah currently getting angry about music he has no head for at the top of the front page, Mr Dachshund!

I just don't like seeing some of the Archives best like Puppy, Damo, Walkscore, etc get washed away by nothingness
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 07:41
^ Oops, I misunderstood. Yeah, the anti-Meshuggsah guy really is meshuggah! (Yiddish for nuts.) LOL I just swipe left when I see his reviews!

Edited by SteveG - February 05 2018 at 07:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 61>