Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI really like your review !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 61>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 21:36
^ LOL. Sort of becoming the Meow and Woof Archives, huh? LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 04:41
It's good to see Warthur doing some very good unbiased reviews of Genesis, both newer and older. That Invisible Touch is a pop album done with extreme care really rings true if one likes this era of the band or not.

Edited by SteveG - September 10 2018 at 06:47
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 12:53
eloquent review by SteveG of the new McCarty.  I have been procrastinating on my own review but you have captured some of my feelings quite well while offering insights I had not considered.  Hug 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 04:00
Thanks Ken! Seems that we've might have gotten Kev R. to give ol' Mr. McCarty a listen so hopefully were doing something right! LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 08:13
I've been side tracked by the current events but I'm still soothed by reading current reviews of Anathema, Mogwai, Riverside, No Sound, Leprous, Ulver and Motorpsycho's recent albums. If anyone still thinks that prog is still on some kind of decline they need only to read these excellent PA reviews of the above.

Edited by SteveG - October 07 2018 at 12:03
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2018 at 23:27
I would like to thank siLLy puPPy for introducing me to Helium Horse Fly. Like siLLy puPPy said in the review, I was also initially attracted to the cover art.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 05:23
Great diversity on the homepage this AM with a lot of subgenres reviewed, from experimental to avant/RIO. All good stuff.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 08:43
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I would like to thank siLLy puPPy for introducing me to Helium Horse Fly. Like siLLy puPPy said in the review, I was also initially attracted to the cover art.

Glad you liked it. What a strange yet charming band :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 10:22
Wonderful reviews on albums by The Sea Inside and Glass Hammer by the Aussie-Byrd man!

Edited by SteveG - October 30 2018 at 10:28
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 05:44
Another great home page for my morning cup of joe. All my old favs like Hawkwind, Gryphon, Peter Gab, 12th Night and Pain Of Salvation reviews! Wonderful! Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 11:30
siLLy puPPy's been knocking them dead with some great Queen reviews the last few days! Me like!

Edited by SteveG - November 27 2018 at 11:30
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2018 at 16:16
Kudos to TCat for his great review of Blue Oyster Cult's debut! Looking forward to more reviews of the band's following albums.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2018 at 04:27
Nice home page this morning with reviews on Daal, Ankedoten, Atomic Roster and early Riverside. Tasty!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 14:17
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Kudos to TCat for his great review of Blue Oyster Cult's debut! Looking forward to more reviews of the band's following albums.

Thank you Raff.  I always have to be careful reviewing BOC since they have been a favorite band of mine ever since Jr. High School way back in the 70s, I sometimes find it hard to not slant my reviews in their favor, but that debut album is a definite essential album.  It's good to see I'm not the only one that thinks that way!  I have reviewed some of their albums already, but there will be more of them reviewed as I go through my library in a haphazard, somewhat alphabetical way Confused

And by the way, your icon is awesome, and I was easily attracted to it seeing that it is a recognizable BOC album cover.  I always find it easy to seek out your reviews when prowling around on the site, and enjoy reading them also.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 14:26
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ Thanks, Steve. I'd like to congratulate TCat for stepping up and delivering some stellar reviews lately. Seems that that Cat plays hide and seek. Has been on the site a long time and completely disappears and then reemerages from seemingly nowhere. Clap

If you are wondering if I just discovered this thread, you are correct.  Thanks to Silly Puppy for mentioning the reviews, I'm trying to catch up from the hiatus I was forced to take while living in an area with spotty WiFi, and then experiencing technical difficulties .  Anyway, hopefully the reviews will continue because I have a lot of catching up to do. 

And it is always good be noticed from someone whose reviews I admire, Silly Puppy. 

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 18:53
I am not a fan of EL&P but  I recognize their historical importance for prog. Anyway, I find it difficult to appreciate their music, to understand its meaning, so I thank Tcar for his review on Trilogy, that I consider very precise and passionate.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2018 at 09:13
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I am not a fan of EL&P but  I recognize their historical importance for prog. Anyway, I find it difficult to appreciate their music, to understand its meaning, so I thank Tcar for his review on Trilogy, that I consider very precise and passionate.

Thanks for that jamesbaldwin.  Hope you had a great Christmas and that you have an amazing 2019!  Keep up the great work! Clap

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2019 at 11:14
And then jamesbaldwin goes and does this terrific review of King Crimson's "Lizard".  Excellent job!  But, they are my favorite band ever, so I may be biased.  Being that as it may, I have a whole new appreciation for that album which I tend to rate downwards on because of those grating vocals, but taking that away, and bringing in Jon Anderson to save the day on the 2nd side helps, but your review makes me want to listen to it again, but as if I have never heard it before.  Great review.  Ciao!

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2019 at 17:13
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

And then jamesbaldwin goes and does this terrific review of King Crimson's "Lizard".  Excellent job!  But, they are my favorite band ever, so I may be biased.  Being that as it may, I have a whole new appreciation for that album which I tend to rate downwards on because of those grating vocals, but taking that away, and bringing in Jon Anderson to save the day on the 2nd side helps, but your review makes me want to listen to it again, but as if I have never heard it before.  Great review.  Ciao!

Thanks a lot, Tcat, I really care about your expert opinion. 

Are KC your favourite band ever? Well, in my list of favorites, after the guy in my picture, Mr. Fripp is coming!

Soon I will write the review of all KC albums, which are a real pleasure for me. Greg Lake's voice remains, in my opinion, the most that KCs have enjoyed: the other singers of the group, as I wrote in my "In the Court of... " review, do not approach him. In this case, the opening of Jon Anderson comes as a breath of fresh air on a spring day, partly because the sound of the singing piece is very suitable for him. Haskell has a voice set and quite powerful but, in my opinion, not very suitable for this album and the lyrics of Sinfield. It is a voice that is not very ductile and is not inclined to delicate nuances. Haskell is better when he sings with a high volume voice. After all, it is famous the anecdote about the laughter that is heard on the record, due to his despair due to the difficulty of singing the Sinfield lyrics with conviction. 

If the whole album was sung by Lake or, better still by Hammill, then .... wow !!!!

KC albums, apart from those of the last period, which seem to me of lower average quality, in my ranking will almost always have 4 or 5 stars.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 14:15
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I would like to thank siLLy puPPy again for the review of Helium Horse Fly's latest release, Hollowed.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - January 27 2019 at 14:17
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 61>