Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI really like your review !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 61>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2020 at 04:06
I would like to thank dougmcauliffe for the first review of a King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard album, Flying Microtonal Banana.

I would like to comment that "Open Water" is my favourite track from that album.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 18:25
I would like to thank BrufordFreak for his review of the new Tirill release.  Well written, and perfectly describes the music that I sought out because of the review.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2020 at 00:55
I'd like to thank Exit the Lemming for ALL of his reviews, because they're so well-written and they're great entertainment too. They never fail to put a smile on my face. Smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 01:48
Thanks for the review on These Trails Greg
It’s an old fave of mine but I haven’t spun it in years. So nice to have someone pat you on the back ‘hey there - remember this??’

Ahh nuts this probably means that I need to give serious thought into actually doing a review over the phone

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 14 2020 at 01:49
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 05:28
^ Absolutely! These Trails is one of those wonderful one off psychedelic folk rock albums that was so common in the early seventies, but this one is a gem and it's good to see a fine review of it. (Even if Greg doesn't really fancy doing them.)

I also liked friso's Death review. For someone who claims not to be an expert on tech/extreme metal, all I can say is that he could of fooled me. Another great review. And Silly Puppy has been killing it with his Therion reviews.

Edited by SteveG - February 14 2020 at 05:33
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 12:05
Thanks David and Steve; much appreciated. Glad it got you to think about that album again. It was a quickly-written review (I spend much more time writing many posts). I was just checking something regarding the bio (that took me much longer to write) and remembered that I had said that I planned to review it soon after the addition. I generally prefer dialectic to review writing, but writing reviews has sometimes been an enjoyable experience. I wrote some for a show called The Prisoner a few years before joining this site, which were a lot of work, but ended up being quite fun as I enjoyed peppering in some silly, and none-too subtle sexual innuendo. Maybe I should try a TOOL album next.

EDIT: What was a pain with the review, while it took me little time to write, I spent ages battling Captcha to get it up, then needed to make a correction, and spent far too long doing that as Captcha blocked me again and again.   I spent way longer dealing with Captcha than writing the review. I had decided at one time just to delete it, but Captcha wouldn't allow me to do that either, because it was late and I was so exasperated. Eventually I got my edit in (I should write reviews off site then copy/paste them) I could have tried a different device, but I tried all sorts of different browsers, deleting the cache....

Edited by Logan - February 14 2020 at 12:17
Just a fanboy passin' through.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 13:33
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Thanks David and Steve; much appreciated. Glad it got you to think about that album again. It was a quickly-written review (I spend much more time writing many posts). I was just checking something regarding the bio (that took me much longer to write) and remembered that I had said that I planned to review it soon after the addition. I generally prefer dialectic to review writing, but writing reviews has sometimes been an enjoyable experience. I wrote some for a show called The Prisoner a few years before joining this site, which were a lot of work, but ended up being quite fun as I enjoyed peppering in some silly, and none-too subtle sexual innuendo. Maybe I should try a TOOL album next.

EDIT: What was a pain with the review, while it took me little time to write, I spent ages battling Captcha to get it up, then needed to make a correction, and spent far too long doing that as Captcha blocked me again and again.   I spent way longer dealing with Captcha than writing the review. I had decided at one time just to delete it, but Captcha wouldn't allow me to do that either, because it was late and I was so exasperated. Eventually I got my edit in (I should write reviews off site then copy/paste them) I could have tried a different device, but I tried all sorts of different browsers, deleting the cache....

You are right.  Copy/paste is pretty much the only sure fire way to do a review.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 14:40
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

You are right.  Copy/paste is pretty much the only sure fire way to do a review.

It's the same with me too. I always write my album reviews out using my laptop Notepad and then copy and paste it into the PA review box, and then there's no risk of losing three hours work if the PA web-page times-out on me  when I click on "Submit".

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 14 2020 at 14:41
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 14:51
I copied my review before hitting submit, but even if I get time-outs, I can backtrack with my browser and my work is still there most of the time (that is how I did it yesterday). I once did lose an essay length review here, which might have been my magnum opus. I figure I could write better reviews if I used Word, then paste it here, and there'd be less chance to need to edit them, and so less chance of having to battle Captcha (since it's not the first time it has blocked me, yesterday the Captchas were extremely problematic for me -- that happens now and then for me). Had I pre-typed the review(off site using my Word processor program), I might have just said, I'll just try again tomorrow and not spent over an hour fighting Captcha. Yes, one should always copy beforehand in case. Sometimes with this site, I really wish to minimise page navigation as much as possible because Captcha proves a problems across browsers every time I try to load a new PA page, reload, submit something etc.

Edited by Logan - February 14 2020 at 15:00
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2020 at 04:12
I got a kick out of reading stevoz review of 90125 (which I will forever confuse with the TV show 90210!) as saying he is sick of "armchair critics" dissing the album and not realizing that by posting his review he has become one!

I highly enjoyed Evolver's Kansas reviews as I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of this American prog band and especially VienaProghead's extensive Golden Earing review, after being surprised that they were included here. 

Edited by SteveG - February 25 2020 at 04:33
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2020 at 12:02
A shout out to sgtpepper for his very balanced critiques and ratings on his string of Hackett reviews. Good job old boy!

Edited by SteveG - February 26 2020 at 12:04
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 01:45
Really liked James Baldwins Faust review and agree it fully!!
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2020 at 06:45
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I would like to thank BrufordFreak for his review of the new Tirill release.  Well written, and perfectly describes the music that I sought out because of the review.  

Thank you, Nickie! That album hit me like a ton of bricks! I am glad to see my review (and Mike/Aussie-Byrd-Brother's) are helping to bring awareness to this little gem. The vocal and string performances are what really wow me with Said the Sun to the Moon. Check it out, everybody! A real beauty. 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2020 at 14:00
I'm going to give ELO 2 a listen based on T Cat's impassioned review. Sounds like some good prog before the band turned into a pop machine.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 06:36

Great review of Alan White's Ramshackled by ViennaProgHead that really hits the album's short comings squarely on the head. Excellent reading. 

Edited by SteveG - March 05 2020 at 06:36
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 08:31
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm going to give ELO 2 a listen based on T Cat's impassioned review. Sounds like some good prog before the band turned into a pop machine.

I hope you enjoy it.  It's rough around the edges but has become a personal favorite of mine over time.

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2020 at 10:41
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Really liked James Baldwins Faust review and agree it fully!!

Oh yeah! :-)
"Happiness is real only when shared"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2020 at 05:00
Good to see all the reviews from Ken Levine, ViennaProghead  and Warthur on Jade Warrior, Hackett, and BOC. Tbh, I can't read all of them because of my vision problems, but I know that they are of the highest quality and that their ratings, if different than mine, are always well explained.

Edited by SteveG - March 19 2020 at 05:01
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 06:27
friso has been on a 2 star ratings/review binge lately. I don't concur on most of them but they are fun to read!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 16:47
In my time at PA, I have seen some very complete reviews. I have seen reviews of, singles, non-prog albums, and of course the odd 1-star review. 

What I have not seen (and please point to another, example if one exists) is a more complete 1-star review of a non-prog single as the one written by The Anders for The Beatles single "My Bonnie". I really appreciate the embedded history behind the track.

Well done. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 61>