Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI really like your review !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 61>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 13:56
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

John, you and David should both check out this Earth album....I think you'd both be drooling.  Probably better than the 3 I gave it. 

http://earthsl.bandcamp.com/album/primitive-and-deadly

I checked out a couple of tracks Jim and yes it's very good. Man it seems like a long time since i've spun some heavy tunes like that or even Metal of any kind. I guess we all go through phases but yeah that was good.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 14:03
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Quite the day actually with Michael's excellent review of that recent Sensations' Fix album, then for me to follow Guldbamsen and Finnforest on the front page with my review was pretty cool. Especially since they both reviewed 2014 releases both of which I hadn't previously heard of. Great job guys as usual.Clap

A truly excellent reviewClap! We saw Sensations' Fix at ProgDay a couple of months ago, and Michael's review captures the essence of Franco Falsini's music (very nice guy too).

Great to have you and Micky back RaffClap
Hey I got a new kitty a month or so ago and he's wreaking havoc with my old dog and cat.

Thank you, John! Your kitty sounds like a lot of funSmile. I wish I was as prolific as you are in terms of reviews. I hope to be able to write a couple of reviews for PA before the end of the year, but time is somewhat scarce these days.

Well I try to do two reviews a week these days and in 2013 it was a lot less than that, not like the old days.LOL  I've been going through some tough times since 2012 having to close my business and i'm still fighting to get my head above water financially. I'm not complaining or feeling sorry for myself though because I have an amazing family and live in a beautiful area and am working.
I really like your reviews, you have such a way with words and I have visited your blog many times.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 07:37
In the true nature of PA, I appreciate the reviews by those who bring to attention the little known or stuggling artists that are good and worthy of being noticed. 

Of late, thanks to Finnforest and Matti (others as well) for bringing to my attention bands/artists such as Superflous Motor, Thoby Loth, Daycast, Inner Light Orchestra, Kevin Geier, etc....

Great job guys!!!!  ClapClapClap
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 22:32
Thanks a lot Jim, appreciate that.  Gives me a lot of pleasure to cover lesser known artists.  I look for albums that aren't being covered much in other blogs and sites....everyone who puts in that much time to make an album, usually at their own expense, deserves a little feedback.  Wish I had more time to do it. 
I have other projects going I should be spending that time on, but I'm addicted to tunes.LOL

Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 00:40
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

In the true nature of PA, I appreciate the reviews by those who bring to attention the little known or stuggling artists that are good and worthy of being noticed. 

Of late, thanks to Finnforest and Matti (others as well) for bringing to my attention bands/artists such as Superflous Motor, Thoby Loth, Daycast, Inner Light Orchestra, Kevin Geier, etc....

Great job guys!!!!  ClapClapClap

Thanks. As a reviewer I have always preferred to write about albums with little or no reviews. (Sometimes I think how nice it would be to review classics of the greats that I've listened to for ages, but I don't like to be the XXXth person to do so. There are always artists more in need of attention.)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2014 at 19:04
Two killer reviews from Mr Thomas on the front page right now, for the latest Floyd and Mostly Autumn discs:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1314523

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1314521

The best the Archives has to offer!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2014 at 19:15
^ The best TER review I read so far

Edited by Meltdowner - November 24 2014 at 19:31
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 17:08
Okay there's been four reviews of late that have interested me for different reasons.
Finnforest's review of Mushroom Giant really sounds like something I need to get, and one of the aspects to Jim's reviews that i've always loved is his quotes.
Michael's review of that Hoelderlin self titled album is one I appreciated as i've debated on getting that one for some time. I now know I want it.
Gruvan Dahlman's review of PAWN was one I just enjoyed reading and it's one I will be reviewing eventually so it was good to get a heads-up of what it's like. And Apps giving it 3.5 stars is a high rating from him as well, so i'm intrigued.
I forget the fourth one. A mind really is a terrible thing to waste isn't it?

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 02:08
P.A.W.N. was a shocking surprise actually, these guys made a great attempt and came up with a really professional sound at the end, I strongly recommend to visit their bandcamp page and listen to their stuff, actually the 26-min. epic is one of the best 20+min. pieces I've heard in a while.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 21:45
Originally posted by apps79 apps79 wrote:

P.A.W.N. was a shocking surprise actually, these guys made a great attempt and came up with a really professional sound at the end, I strongly recommend to visit their bandcamp page and listen to their stuff, actually the 26-min. epic is one of the best 20+min. pieces I've heard in a while.

The Dream Theater/Ayreon references don't exactly have me salivating but in reading several reviews including yours I am looking forward to it's arrival.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 22:09
John it still happens to me quite often when I hear something like Mushroom Giant......I think to myself....John will love that one!!  LOL

Def thought of you on that album. 

apps79 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 01:54

Originally posted by apps79 apps79 wrote:

The Dream Theater/Ayreon references don't exactly have me salivating but in reading several reviews including yours I am looking forward to it's arrival.
you can include me in the list cause I've abandoned this type of prog for some years now, but there is so much more going on in this album it definitely moves away from these influences at the very end.Happy listeningWink
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace...

listen to www.justincaseradio.com , the first ever Greek Progressive Rock radio
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 07:39
^^^ Approaching my readiness of a P.A.W.N. review as well. Very interesting stuff. While it doesn't blow me away there is a lot to like. It's a definitely a band to watch should they continue.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 18:16
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

^^^ Approaching my readiness of a P.A.W.N. review as well. Very interesting stuff. While it doesn't blow me away there is a lot to like. It's a definitely a band to watch should they continue.

By the way I really enjoyed your Necromonkey review, I do have the first one but haven't got to it yet. Your high praise has me very curious.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 18:35
Just read Mellotron John's Psicomangia review - WTF ? - Fuzz organ, relentless rhythms, available on vinyl - I'M THERE !! Thanks for bringing this to my attention

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 29 2014 at 18:35
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 18:54

By the way I really enjoyed your Necromonkey review, I do have the first one but haven't got to it yet. Your high praise has me very curious.

Thanks. I am glad you liked it. Don't get much feedback on my reviews so I am never really sure how they go over. Get the album, you won't be disappointed. I believe the only way to get it is to email the guys at  [email protected] and they well tell you to paypal 21 bucks.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 21:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Just read Mellotron John's Psicomangia review - WTF ? - Fuzz organ, relentless rhythms, available on vinyl - I'M THERE !! Thanks for bringing this to my attention

It's NOT fuzz organ it's a high pitched shrill, and it's relentless!LOL Must be my Canadian accent or something.

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 21:02

Thanks. I am glad you liked it. Don't get much feedback on my reviews so I am never really sure how they go over. Get the album, you won't be disappointed. I believe the only way to get it is to email the guys at  [email protected] and they well tell you to paypal 21 bucks.

I know what you mean about the reviews, all I usually hear is crickets. Thanks for the heads up about where to get it.Thumbs Up

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 01:14
Sorry for butting in but I'm also a big fan of this fantastic duo. Personally I find their debut to be much better than Glimpse...I think it's more special and experimental/weirder, but of course it's only me. It was really hard deciding whether rating the debut with 4 or 5, and I ended up with 4 eventually, but it is one of the most refreshing albums I got to hear in the past few years no doubt about it. Great band! and check out that debut ASAP John if you already have it, I wonder what you'll make of it.

And of course great review Bhikkhu Thumbs Up
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2014 at 13:55
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Sorry for butting in but I'm also a big fan of this fantastic duo. Personally I find their debut to be much better than Glimpse...I think it's more special and experimental/weirder, but of course it's only me. It was really hard deciding whether rating the debut with 4 or 5, and I ended up with 4 eventually, but it is one of the most refreshing albums I got to hear in the past few years no doubt about it. Great band! and check out that debut ASAP John if you already have it, I wonder what you'll make of it.

And of course great review Bhikkhu Thumbs Up

Thanks for the appreciation. Embarrassed

I dug Necroplex too but Glimpse just blew me away from the get-go. Of course it could have something to do with the fact that I picked up my copy directly following their ripping performance at Prog Day.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 61>