Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRising keyboard virtuosos in prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 09:10
Indeed: Lalle Larsson.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 19:40
This guy Luca Zabbini from italian band Barock Project is young and very good but they do not play bombastic symphonic, they play a rather mild prog close to crossover but I really like this song, and further below it's a piano solo totally inspired by Emerson.

Edited by Gerinski - June 27 2012 at 19:41
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 21:15
Lalle Larson, Thomas Bodin, Erik Norlander and Neal Morse. Mark Kelly is quite good as well.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
freudiana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2012 at 22:47
Lalle Larson, Tomas Bodin, Hiromi Uehara, Andy Tillson and Lars Fredrik Frøislie.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 00:53
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

This guy Luca Zabbini from italian band Barock Project is young and very good but they do not play bombastic symphonic, they play a rather mild prog close to crossover but I really like this song, and further below it's a piano solo totally inspired by Emerson.

he's actually playing Frederick Guilda's 'Fugue', a peice of music that Keith Emerson was very fond of and can be heard on ELP's Welcome Back My Friends.. album.
Very good performanceClap
Aspiring hope View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 05:53
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

My friend Mychael Pollard is a rising force!  Young man, he was working on a project with John Goodsall but Goods got pulled off towards Brand X and.....well....silence from him since.

I thought Mychael did a great job on this cover, seek out his other tunes on his Youtube channel! 

He's pretty great, had a lot of feel to it, I'll have to check some more of his stuff out

This is why you should let Robin save the day...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 06:00
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Reading through this thread, everybody has picked people starting out in the 90's or earlier so I'll be the first to actually get it right with Richerd Henshel from To-Mera and Haken. His work with To-Mera in particular is brilliant (though so far he's only recorded on the Earthbound EP and yet to be released third album).

You've got the right idea about this, and To-Mera sounds great from what I'm listening. Thanks!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 06:13
Originally posted by knumorvid knumorvid wrote:

Alex Argento is truly great! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIgBzX5bD3s

Great call, Argento's playing and composition is pretty sick!

Progdaybay View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 07:36
I would add Fred Schendel of Glass Hammer, and Tomas Bodin of The Flower Kings, even if they are not youngsters.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 12:02
Hiromi
Rikard Sjöblom (from Beardfish)
Lalle Larsson
Simon Åkesson
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 12:40

Agostino Macor (Finisterre, la Maschera di Cera, Zaal, Hostsonaten)

Virginia Peraza (Anima Mundi)

Elisa Wiermann (Quaterna Requiem)

Erik De Beer (Life Line Project)

Iain Jennings (Mostly Autumn, Breathing Space)

Magnus Paulsson (Simon Says)

Olov Andersson (Grandstand)

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2012 at 13:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

he's actually playing Frederick Guilda's 'Fugue', a peice of music that Keith Emerson was very fond of and can be heard on ELP's Welcome Back My Friends.. album.
Very good performanceClap

Of course! Embarrassed
iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 04:24
i think the archetypal “keyboard wizard” sadly is a thing of the past, with progressive (rock) music taking on a much more textural approach, which, surprisingly, is mostly carried by guitars these days. one might say that the aesthetics of prog rock has shifted from a yes/genesis-approach to a king crimson-school of thought. i do listen to the guys mentioned on occasion, but really they at times don't bring many new things to the table above classically trained dextrosity and “monster chops” (to praraphrase). obviously loads of talented people there but (imho) nothing that hadn't been attempted before by the masters and legends. i don't consider andy tlllison, neal morse and jordan ruddess “new” talent either as they have been about for many many years now.

that said, i consider richard barbieri a “new and rising” virtuoso because his work is so current. similarly, marillion’s mark kelly, who is not that old yet, has adapted, progressed and forwarded admirably. also take a listen to NORTH ATLANTIC OSCILLATION, there are a lot of very retro-modern keyboards parts in there. great new band!
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 10:25
Chalcedony is an amazing keyboardist

samdelrussi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 23:18
Without question, the unknown entity who is The Psychedelic Ensemble.
Sam Del Russi
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 01:00
Originally posted by iguana iguana wrote:

i think the archetypal “keyboard wizard” sadly is a thing of the past, with progressive (rock) music taking on a much more textural approach, which, surprisingly, is mostly carried by guitars these days. one might say that the aesthetics of prog rock has shifted from a yes/genesis-approach to a king crimson-school of thought. i do listen to the guys mentioned on occasion, but really they at times don't bring many new things to the table above classically trained dextrosity and “monster chops” (to praraphrase). obviously loads of talented people there but (imho) nothing that hadn't been attempted before by the masters and legends. i don't consider andy tlllison, neal morse and jordan ruddess “new” talent either as they have been about for many many years now.

that said, i consider richard barbieri a “new and rising” virtuoso because his work is so current. similarly, marillion’s mark kelly, who is not that old yet, has adapted, progressed and forwarded admirably. also take a listen to NORTH ATLANTIC OSCILLATION, there are a lot of very retro-modern keyboards parts in there. great new band!

Very perceptive post, agree with it entirely. The days of the heroic 'fastest gun in town' soloists are long gone, and we are currently in an era where a more holistic approach to Prog is apparent. I welcome this development.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 02:21
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Very perceptive post, agree with it entirely. The days of the heroic 'fastest gun in town' soloists are long gone, and we are currently in an era where a more holistic approach to Prog is apparent. I welcome this development.
Fair comment however some of the fun has disappeared as a result. We don't seem to get more than our fair share of angst ridden dark atmospherice musings about life. A Wakeman/Emerson bombastic style assault on a poor unsuspecting moog might at least provde a little light relief from all thatWink

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 02:43
Perhaps technology and the visual aspect have something to do with it. In the old analog days in order to have a large palette of sounds available the wizards had to be surrounded by lots of keyboards, switch between them, spread their poses and arms to reach with each hand keyboards on opposite sides, constantly turning knobs, switches and push bars, even changing patchcables while they played.

If they had a bit of grace in their body language it all gave a very powerful visual image of complete virtuosism.

Nowadays everything can be played on a single keyboard or a few of them, often small such as the Nords which are so popular nowadays, the sound changes triggered by just pressing a button or even pre-programmed or controlled by somebody else backstage. It has lost a lot of visual power.
iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 06:50
^ very good point. i was really pleased to see eddie jobson back in live mode, but a lot of his on-stage appeal went overboard with these two compact master keyboards and the digital reproduction of the vintage sounds. it looked and felt wrong, i may add. however, with touring and transport costs being an enduring determinant, there's no point carting 30 keyboards and organs around ASiA-style, when one can have the lot on a laptop and a couple of controllers. in the late 1980s midi became more and more advanced and i, for instance, remember being somewhat disappointed in seeing mark kelly on the “season's end” tour without the expansive set up that he had during the “clutching at straws” dates. yes, “aesthetically” something's missing, but costs dictate everything these days, and, in turn, it cost us the iconography of the alchemic “keyboard wizard”, who, in turn, has less of a strain in his arms... no more stretching and twisting!
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 10:35

it cost us the iconography of the alchemic “keyboard wizard”, who, in turn, has less of a strain in his arms... no more stretching and twisting!

Yeah, if you would see some young guy a la Emerson getting to the ground on his back to play the keyboard upside down, but doing it with an 11 kg Nord Electro 3 instead of with a Hammond, it would look pretty ridiculous LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>