Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPagan's Mind vs Symphony X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:38
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Pagan's Mind are a pretty bog standard DT clone (and have even stole whole parts of Dream Theater songs for tracks on Celestial Entrance, I was not impressed when I first heard Back to the Magic of Childhood Pt2 (I think its that song, havent listened in several years now) and found it to be a rip off of Learning to Live)with nothing special about them bands like Suspyre and Haken do the same thing with far more creativity and quality.

Blending Neo-Classical Power Metal and prog was a pretty original thing back in the early-mid 90's and, granted SX havent progressed much, if at all, in the near 20 years since but I find their music very enjoyable still with each album. One of the very few vanilla prog metal bands that I still listen to on even a semi regular basis.  

I disagree with you on this last paragraph, bro. They changed their sound since the 90's, but they  stagnated after V - Mythology Suite.

Stagnated?  Their last two albums are more metal, and more widely appealing to fans of other sub-genres of metal, than any other of their albums.  I, personally, prefer The Odyssey to anything else they've done, but I can recognize the development of their style in the last two albums and appreciate it for what it is as well.

But they have not brought anything new to the table except being heavier. Wink
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 13:54

Pagan's Mind are a pretty bog standard DT clone (and have even stole whole parts of Dream Theater songs for tracks on Celestial Entrance, I was not impressed when I first heard Back to the Magic of Childhood Pt2 (I think its that song, havent listened in several years now) and found it to be a rip off of Learning to Live)with nothing special about them bands like Suspyre and Haken do the same thing with far more creativity and quality.

Blending Neo-Classical Power Metal and prog was a pretty original thing back in the early-mid 90's and, granted SX havent progressed much, if at all, in the near 20 years since but I find their music very enjoyable still with each album. One of the very few vanilla prog metal bands that I still listen to on even a semi regular basis.  

I disagree with you on this last paragraph, bro. They changed their sound since the 90's, but they  stagnated after V - Mythology Suite.

Stagnated?  Their last two albums are more metal, and more widely appealing to fans of other sub-genres of metal, than any other of their albums.  I, personally, prefer The Odyssey to anything else they've done, but I can recognize the development of their style in the last two albums and appreciate it for what it is as well.

That depends on your viewpoint.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 21:24

That depends on your viewpoint.

Exactly. They do sound a lot different, away from proggy but wider in subgenres of metal. 
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 23:39
If i had to take one album between the two it would be Celestial Entrance but overall Symphony X would easily be my choice.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2012 at 18:11
Yeah, after listening to "Iconoclast", I would have to say that Symphony x's later stuff is incredible. I do love Pagan's Mind's new album.

Edited by The Mystical - February 23 2013 at 18:22
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2012 at 19:06
Never understood why so many people got excited about Iconoclast ... I loved Paradise Lost, and Iconoclast sounded like Paradise Lost - only less diverse. Too many moments when I went "hang on I know this riff ..." to interest me. Plus the exact same production as the previous album.
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 09:06

^. Agreed! ICONOCLAST is badass. I love it. When i feel like a really good tech metal/heavy metal album I through that double discer on! Great stuff indeed. Saw them live last year. They opened for ICED EARTH.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2012 at 09:07
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^. Agreed! ICONOCLAST is badass. I love it. When i feel like a really good tech metal/heavy metal album I through that double discer on! Great stuff indeed. Saw them live last year. They opened for ICED EARTH.

Woops! Forgot the question. Yes. SYMPHONY X over PAGAN any day for me. 😜
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2012 at 13:23
Symphony X for me. Far superior IMO.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2012 at 22:27
Originally posted by Chozal Chozal wrote:

Never understood why so many people got excited about Iconoclast ... I loved Paradise Lost, and Iconoclast sounded like Paradise Lost - only less diverse. Too many moments when I went "hang on I know this riff ..." to interest me. Plus the exact same production as the previous album.

Agreed.  After four years (2007 to 2011), you would think they would come out with something taking it to another level - but alas, no...
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 08:24
Iconoclast, taken by itself without context, is a very good album.

But yes, it does sound pretty much like Paradise Lost 2.0, without some of the diversity PL had.

Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2012 at 09:02
Whoever said Celestial Entrance takes some parts from DT is correct. I also noticed a couple of Fates Warning parts in there. However, the album as a whole is pretty good.

This is a tough call. I don't like everything Symphony X has done. I don't like everything PM has done either.

In the end however I would probably choose Symphony X. Through The Looking Glass is one my favorite songs ever. (Though it does bear some resemblances to Under A Glass Moon. Anyone else pick this up?)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12