Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIxt Adux (USA/Eclectic)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ixt Adux (USA/Eclectic)
    Posted: June 28 2012 at 14:31
One album "Brainstorm" in 1982,

A1    Another Day in Cleveland (5:13)
A2    Out of Time (7:52)
A3    35,000 (5:20)
B1    Capriccio (6:05)
B2    Foogato (9:56)

-Dan Williford/guitar, vocals
-Martin Austin /guitar, vocals
-Erik Miller /bass guitar
-Peter Mehit /drums

Info from Gnosis2000:
1982 was a rather strange year to be working with progressive rock in the United States, or, if anything, stranger than most others. Ixt Adux were a guitar-led combo from Los Angeles who managed to get one album off in an era where the closest thing to an American prog band was the reformed King Crimson. And Discipline-era Crimson is not really a bad comparison in terms of the prevalent and complex guitar work, but another inspiration would have to be that of Frank Zappa, a name that always comes up when a humorous quotient is detected in the music. For the most part, the music of Ixt Adux over the five tracks that make up Brainstorm is a pretty complicated affair, with lots of rhythmically changing melodic lines and plenty of dynamics between jagged, harder rocking and softer, introspective parts. The guitar playing is generally excellent in all numbers of styles, backed up by a solid bass and drums rhythm section, including Frippish dissonant runs, chord picking, and soloing. Perhaps the only drawbacks to the sound are the unavoidable poor production available to such an independent and the resulting lack of tonal variation on the guitars. While the latter is mitigated by the sheer profusion of excellent playing, the former has to be taken as more indicative of the poor state of innovative music at this point in the 80s regardless of how much a detraction it seems now. Warts and all, this is a worthy release, particularly for the time.

Edited by historian9 - June 29 2012 at 07:05
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 23:20
Great and unusual find! Very reminiscent of KC and VDGG and very heavy too. I think this is a good candidate for Heavy Prog, but if the Heavy Team guys want us to evaluate it in Eclectic, I wouldn't object.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 11:24
Hmmm... very nice stuff indeed. TBH I'd be more comfortable with them in Eclectic. Heavy they are indeed, but they have a lot going for them, so Eclectic might be a better fit. I'll remind them.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 16:59
Added to Eclectic.
VinceLavello View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2015 at 11:30
Wow what a flash back - thanks for posting. I had went on with life and lost touch with these guys.
I was their roadie and equipment transportation to gigs in 1982. 
I sat through the recording of the album.
 Post Reply Post Reply