Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you think the Police should be on Progarchives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you think the Police should be on Progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Your opinion
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [14.04%]
49 [85.96%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:30
No cops here, please. Wink
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:34
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Don't tell anyone but Andy Summers snuck in with Robert Fripp.  And of course Stewart Copeland with Curved Air. I think Sting has successfully been kept off this site. LOL

We can't let Sting in as well as everyone knows they don't get on together any more.  It would only end badlyOuch
Help me I'm falling!
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:43

Also Mother. LOL  Very Crimsonic.

Pinch
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:04
I noticed that in the last few months the suggestions here seem to have been generally quite well founded or the more ridiculous suggestions may have been pounced on immediately by the admins.

How on earth did this one sneak through?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:11
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

I noticed that in the last few months the suggestions here seem to have been generally quite well founded or the more ridiculous suggestions may have been pounced on immediately by the admins.

Well, for the reasons Slarti states above and for Strontium 90 with Mike Howlett  there is an argument to be made
Help me I'm falling!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:16
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

Don't tell anyone but Andy Summers snuck in with Robert Fripp.  And of course Stewart Copeland with Curved Air. I think Sting has successfully been kept off this site. LOL

We can't let Sting in as well as everyone knows they don't get on together any more.  It would only end badlyOuch

Good point.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:18

Well, for the reasons Slarti states above and for Strontium 90 with Mike Howlett  there is an argument to be made

Your relatives were lineage to the throne but you were a commoner, what's your argument?
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:18
Thumbs Down
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:23
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Your relatives were lineage to the throne but you were a commoner, what's your argument?

I don't really have an argument as I don't think they should be here.  I was just saying it might not be a comletely ridiculous suggestion for some connections.  (We are talking about Prog Related not symphonic Prog).
Help me I'm falling!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:30

I don't really have an argument as I don't think they should be here.  I was just saying it might not be a comletely ridiculous suggestion for some connections.  (We are talking about Prog Related not symphonic Prog).

I'd be struggling to justify this as the OP has rather cunningly proffered Asia as a rebuttal, but I would hazard that the latter did not deliberately set out to sound like a 80's white reggae/pop hybrid i.e.Asia could be deemed premeditated commercial Prog like 80's Yes and Genesis perchance?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:39

I'd be struggling to justify this as the OP has rather cunningly proffered Asia as a rebuttal, but I would hazard that the latter did not deliberately set out to sound like a 80's white reggae/pop hybrid i.e.Asia could be deemed premeditated commercial Prog like 80's Yes and Genesis perchance?

I missed that Asia bit.  Anyway, Mr Lemming you been on the sauce?  You seem a little argumentative.  Or still trying to get over the first of the 5:0 whitewash that Australia have started?
Help me I'm falling!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:45
Syncronisity is MUCH more then rehashed white reagge and pop, it got jazz, it got elements of world music, punk, new wave, post punk, not very far of what a certain guy like Peter Gabriel created at exactly around the same time,
some complex layers are snuggeling its way througout the album, it does not make the Police a prog rock band, but the art rock aestethics is inside the body fo the band, it is like most band composing of more then just two sounds pop, or reagge but ceveral types (i could come up with 6 or 7 variations of popular music by just spinning that lone album), bands are more complex even if they are predomenantly pop music based, and some pop music is suprisingly intricate, and intricacy is related to complexity, and complexity is not only instrumentation, but compotition, arangements, production, songstructure, singing, lyrics, or more then those elements combined, complexity in using a wide array of tools to flash out a musical piece is the more comlex part of music making, which reflects most of the prog bands that we love and sherish, but also some of that also defines the pop band the Police, who in almoust all criterias reach the same amount of complexitys as bands like Genesis does, only different parameters are used, but the elements of comlexity is it, it is just combined diferently with different mindsetts and times, ......
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:52
A few proggy tracks here and there, but not prog-related IMO. 
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 09:56

Copeland is here as a solo artist and as a member of Oysterhead as well, but that of should be about as close to adding the Police as we should get IMHO.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:00

Originally posted by geneyesontle geneyesontle wrote:

But the Police has something to do with prog because Stewart Copeland played with Curved Air and the three members of this Reggae/Punk/Ska/etc. band also formed a supergroup with the ex Gong bassist singer Mike Howlett. 

Yeah, that argument gets shredded every time.  Terry Bozzio appeared with Zappa, Group 87, David Torn, UK, Jeff Beck and many others, but I don't think anyone would ever suggest Missing Persons ought to be considered 'prog-related'.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:06
If you're motivated, look up the previous discussions of Strontium 90. If Sr90 was rejected, I can't imagine why the Police would fare any better.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:59

I don't know about other Asia albums but the first one is just AOR.  The only reason it might sound prog is the tones of Steve Howe, Carl Palmer and Wetton can be heard.  And that's where any association with prog ends.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:04
^ i can hear prog tones from Downs also, his piano solo part on the next last track on debute is really good
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:28
Should Police be on PA LOL......Stern Smile? NOOOOOOOOO + multiple O's (*highlight* and *underline*).
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:37
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Copeland is here as a solo artist and as a member of Oysterhead as well, but that of should be about as close to adding the Police as we should get IMHO.

Oh yeah, forgot about that, shame on me as I have that one.Embarrassed

If I haven't said it before, I have a lot of solo Summers and I think he does belong in JRF.

Wait a second, Copeland snuck in as a solo?   Totally missed that.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 30 2012 at 11:39
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>