Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you think the Police should be on Progarchives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you think the Police should be on Progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Your opinion
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [14.04%]
49 [85.96%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you think the Police should be on Progarchives
    Posted: June 29 2012 at 20:11
I think they should be on progarchives because of the soundscapes on their music, their musicianship that is compared to prog musicians in my opinion and their various influences. They also played with prog musicians. I think they should be labeled as Prog-Related.

Edited by geneyesontle - June 29 2012 at 20:12
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 20:15
I guess it's not like Prog Related doesn't have any less proggy artists
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 20:22
Sort of.  For Synchronicity.  As you go back further chronologically in their discography you move further away from prog.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 29 2012 at 20:24
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 20:31
Prog Related is not for 'proggy artists',  it's for those that were/are related or directly connected with, contributed to, or fundamentally influenced by the Prog Movement.   None of the Police's album reflect this; the fact that they made original and unique rock music that had elements of other styles doesn't make them ProgRelated because that is the basis of much successful Pop music;  e.g. Graceland, Purple Rain, and of course Sting's first two albums (which were arguably more progressive than anything the Police ever did).   Do you think Police fan's would've been happy with an album that was truly ProgRelated?   I don't.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 20:32
Find it hard to decide.  Synchronicity and Ghosts of a Machine...maybe even parts of Zeynatta have something to do with prog.  And the musicians DID have some prog pedigree in their individual capacities.  Going with a yes because I am in favour of inclusion rather than exclusion.  I don't think Police is a ludicrous choice, though not a watertight one.
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 21:06
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Prog Related is not for 'proggy artists',  it's for those that were/are related or directly connected with, contributed to, or fundamentally influenced by the Prog Movement.   None of the Police's album reflect this; the fact that they made original and unique rock music that had elements of other styles doesn't make them ProgRelated because that is the basis of much successful Pop music;  e.g. Graceland, Purple Rain, and of course Sting's first two albums (which were arguably more progressive than anything the Police ever did).   Do you think Police fan's would've been happy with an album that was truly ProgRelated?   I don't.

Oh yes, I will also do a poll about Sting but let's talk about the Police. Do you think that Asia is prog. Yes this band is composed of Prog musicians but do they really play prog music ? No but they have something to do in prog. And that's why they are here.
But the Police has something to do with prog because Stewart Copeland played with Curved Air and the three members of this Reggae/Punk/Ska/etc. band also formed a supergroup with the ex Gong bassist singer Mike Howlett. And also, many songs of these guys can be compared to progressive, not for their length, but for their complexity.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:02
Oh come on now. I love The Police as much as anyone, but they were punk/pop/new wave through and through. You'd have a better time making the argument for Sting's solo career, or any of theirs for that matter.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:25

But didn't The Police arise out of the ashes of Strontium 90 (which included all three members of the Police and Mike Howlett from Gong)?  There is a rather tenuous relationship to prog there.  Although, I've never thought of the Police, one of my favorite non-prog bands btw, as particularly proggy.  Maybe Synchronicity II had some hints of progginess, but that was about it. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:31
Two opportunistic band wagon jumping musicians in their late 20's and one the wrong side of 30 'on the make' - Reggatta de Blanc (honky reggae sums it up best) Even by the standards of a soulless music industry there was never a more disingenuously calculating and engineered group than the Police. (although perhaps Asia would have given them a good run for their filthy lucre) The Police did write some truly brilliant pop singles and Synchronicity is from a Prog perspective, perhaps their most interesting album. The Curved Air, Soft Machine, Fripp and Youth Jazz Orchestra lineage only serves to cloud people's judgement. I have even read comments that they heavily influenced 80's Rush (during a period when the latter band were widely acknowledged to have abandoned Prog- hardly underlines their credentials now does it?)

A resounding NO for any category we have on PA
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:35
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

But didn't The Police arise out of the ashes of Strontium 90 (which included all three members of the Police and Mike Howlett from Gong)?  There is a rather tenuous relationship to prog there.  Although, I've never thought of the Police, one of my favorite non-prog bands btw, as particularly proggy.  Maybe Synchronicity II had some hints of progginess, but that was about it.
Perhaps, but the problem with that logic is that many musicians did or would play together that were from all number of backgrounds, or who would take all number of new directions.   It's one of the things that was so cool about that time, it was strange if an artist was not progressing or experimenting in some way.   The connections that could be drawn between different musicians are almost infinite, and is not the crucial factor in determining ProgRelated.

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:39

Perhaps, but the problem with that logic is that many musicians did or would play together that were from all number of backgrounds, or who would take all number of new directions.   It's one of the things that was so cool about that time, it was strange if an artist was not progressing or experimenting in some way.   The connections that could be drawn between different musicians are almost infinite, and is not the crucial factor in determining ProgRelated.

I'm a no on this too.  I don't think the Police should be here.  Just pointing out that they do have some "relation" to prog.  In fact, wasn't Stewart Copeland married to Sonja Christina or at least living with her?  Can't get much more "related" to prog than that.  Still, I don't really believe they are prog-related.  I've never equated their sound with any level of progginess, except for the aforementioned Synchronicity II which did have a bit of progginess to it.  Not enough for them to be here though. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:51
Originally posted by geneyesontle geneyesontle wrote:

I think they should be on progarchives because of the soundscapes on their music, their musicianship that is compared to prog musicians in my opinion and their various influences. They also played with prog musicians. I think they should be labeled as Prog-Related.

The musicianship "per se" is not a determinant factor for an inclusion, anybody can mention at least 100 Pop, Rock or Jazz musicians with no less musicianship than the average Prog artist, but that's not enough, they have to make Prog music to be considered prog or be directly related with Prog to be added to Prog Related.

The Police is not a Prog or Prog Related band, they emerged in the Post Punk-New Wave scenario and that defined they're career.

And if we had to add musicians who played with Prog Artists, we would have to add at least 10,000 more bands or artists, including Randy Jackson (Yes, the guy of American Idol), because he was bassist in Journey and with Jean-Luc Ponty for several albums.

Not every good band or artist is Prog, that has to be understood IMO.

Originally posted by SolarLuna96 SolarLuna96 wrote:

I guess it's not like Prog Related doesn't have any less proggy artists

Probably, but as I always say, one mistake doesn't justify making another one, if somebody PERSONALLY CONSIDERS that an artist shouldn't be here, this is not an excuse to add another non Prog artist. 

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 29 2012 at 22:54

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 22:51

In fact, wasn't Stewart Copeland married to Sonja Christina or at least living with her?  Can't get much more "related" to prog than that.
LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 06:29
A resounding no. They emerged out of the UK New Wave scene, and played a sort of commercial white reggae/punk hybrid. They did not play anything remotely related to prog.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 06:44
A couple of slightly proggy songs does not make them prog.

Synchronicity is a fine album anyway.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 07:23
The two "Synchronicity" songs are prog rock, but most of their material is not.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:16
Also Mother. LOL  Very Crimsonic.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 30 2012 at 08:19
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:19
my favourite song is Wrapped Around YOur Finger which is also slightly art rocky
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:27
Start a new Sub-genre 'Ever so Slightly Prog Related on one or Two Songs and Have worked with other Artists Listed Here' Sub-Genre.?
Help me I'm falling!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 08:28
Don't tell anyone but Andy Summers snuck in with Robert Fripp.  And of course Stewart Copeland with Curved Air. I think Sting has successfully been kept off this site. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 30 2012 at 08:28

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>