Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre The Flower Kings a christian band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 23:07
I don't know if Christian band is  entirely accurate. Vaguely spiritual, maybe. Actually so many of their messages are contradictory, In one song Roine speaks out against blind belief, but in another song (on the same album) calls scientific evidence a "childish game". Not really sure if he's a hardline fundamentalist or a staunch atheist.

The only overall message I get out of their music is the spread of happiness, positivity and love, and the dismissal of things that would oppose that. Regardless of what he believes in his personal life, I can get behind that, even as a nihilist who typically listens to extreme metal and jazz.

Edited by Harry Hood - June 30 2012 at 23:09
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2012 at 23:51
The anti-science lines are the only things that really bother me about Roine's lyrics.
Mr. Maestro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 00:53
^ I know what you mean.  There's an awful misconception among many believers that science is inherently bad or anti-Christian.  I don't know if that's what Stolt is saying, but it's something I've seen a lot of and it really bothers me too.
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 00:58
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

I don't know if Christian band is  entirely accurate. Vaguely spiritual, maybe. Actually so many of their messages are contradictory, In one song Roine speaks out against blind belief, but in another song (on the same album) calls scientific evidence a "childish game". Not really sure if he's a hardline fundamentalist or a staunch atheist.

The only overall message I get out of their music is the spread of happiness, positivity and love, and the dismissal of things that would oppose that. Regardless of what he believes in his personal life, I can get behind that, even as a nihilist who typically listens to extreme metal and jazz.

I'm with you on that. I think Roine is more someone who is not opposed to religion or science, but is not exactly for everything they both stand for. Then again, I don't always pay attention to TFK's lyrics, as with most other bands.
gazagod View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 01:08
I can't speak for those in other countries... but in America, the 'Christianists' have ruined the religion.. it's become a pure political ideology on the one hand and on the other it's prosperity gospel and a subculture of specific consumerism...ie christian 'lifestyle'=consumption of branded books, music, events, etc... reading through American literature and history, I get the impression it's always been a bit infected by hucksters/conmen. 

personally, i had to learn genuine Christian theology from Russian novelists LOL... Italian/Catholic history, on the other hand, does nothing but encourage cynicism-as bad as American, but much more entertaining
[quote]
'I don't know if Christian band is  entirely accurate. Vaguely spiritual, maybe. Actually so many of their messages are contradictory, In one song Roine speaks out against blind belief, but in another song (on the same album) calls scientific evidence a "childish game". Not really sure if he's a hardline fundamentalist or a staunch atheist.'

I think you've answered your own question...there aren't easy answers(or any at all) in this life... for anyone the least bit alive-whose arteries haven't been hardened by slavish habits or bitter cynicism... using 'science' as evidence against spiritual potentialities is a 'childish game' --- science can say nothing on such issues- on the other hand, its lack of findings in such realms does not implicitly support 'faith' or obedience to ossified traditions...

we only know that we do not know
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 02:34
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

TFK being a Christian band doesn't really make a difference, really. I certainly don't enjoy much of their music, but that's mostly because I think they're cheesy (whether that is a direct side-effect of them being a Christian band, I'll probably never know for sure).

Clap

wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 02:45
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

It's always been pretty obvious to me that TFK are quite  a spiritual band with Christian leanings.  That doesn't bother me at all........  As long as it isn't preachy, I don't mind it.  It's only when the lyrics start to get preachy (e.g. some of Neal Morse's solo output) does it turn me off. 

Sometimes other people articulate your thoughts on a matter better and before you ..
this is one of those.

I did watch the video though and all its left me with is a vague sadness that TFK aren't touring anywhere near my town .

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 14:11
Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

TFK being a Christian band doesn't really make a difference, really. I certainly don't enjoy much of their music, but that's mostly because I think they're cheesy (whether that is a direct side-effect of them being a Christian band, I'll probably never know for sure).

Clap

Pretty much this.  Actually, the fact that TFK may be a "Christian" band just makes me more interested in them, but I still just can't get into their music.

Also, much as I hate to say it, cheesiness and Christianity seem to go hand in hand when it comes to prog music.  After Kerry Livgren was converted in the late 70s, a lot of his solo material was so cheesy that I find it nigh-impossible to listen to.  Same thing with Neal Morse, though to a much lesser extent (I have yet to see anyone complain about Sole Scriptura being too cheesy).
"I am the one who crossed through space...or stayed where I was...or didn't exist in the first place...."
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 14:16
Why is it that our society calls anything that is in a major key and isn't classical music "Cheesy"?

The only thing cheesy are these nachos.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 14:21
^ I didn't mean to suggest that it's cheesy just because it isn't hardcore serious-as-your-life neo-classical prog.  I honestly find a lot of upbeat pop music very enjoyable and un-cheesy.  It's just that TFK and the like sound very saccharine and substanceless to me, like progressive junk food.  Doesn't mean it's bad, necessarily - just not to my tastes.

Oh, and I want those nachos.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 14:22
I wasn't directing my post to you, just something Ive been meaning to mention in this thread.

Yes, I'm a little hungry now. Throw a little chili and jalapenos on those nachos, and I'm happy.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 15:29
From everything Roine has said on various interviews and fan forums, he is a secular humanist who strives for love, peace, light, happiness, etc.  That was the idea behind the Flower Kings.....a counterpoint to all the black metal that Sweden produced in the early 90's.  He has said he agrees with the actual words of Jesus Christ in the bible, but not the bible as a whole.  He thinks all religions have positive bits, but that none are worth following.  So, no, I don't get the impression he is a Christian or that the band is.  However, I am not Roine, and these are just my recollections of things I've read that may or may not be accurate.

However, I personally notice there does seem to be an abundance of Christian themes in their music.  Just as a guess, I'd say that Roine was raised in some sort of Christian household, and that that is why he gets so many themes from Christianity and the bible.  Genesis (the band) did the same, but with perhaps more flair Wink  Anyway, just my take on the subject.  I think the music is fabulous and couldn't really care less what he really believes as long as he keeps making it.

Edited by infandous - July 01 2012 at 15:30
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 16:33
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

From everything Roine has said on various interviews and fan forums, he is a secular humanist who strives for love, peace, light, happiness, etc.  That was the idea behind the Flower Kings.....a counterpoint to all the black metal that Sweden produced in the early 90's.  He has said he agrees with the actual words of Jesus Christ in the bible, but not the bible as a whole.  He thinks all religions have positive bits, but that none are worth following.  So, no, I don't get the impression he is a Christian or that the band is.  However, I am not Roine, and these are just my recollections of things I've read that may or may not be accurate.

However, I personally notice there does seem to be an abundance of Christian themes in their music.  Just as a guess, I'd say that Roine was raised in some sort of Christian household, and that that is why he gets so many themes from Christianity and the bible.  Genesis (the band) did the same, but with perhaps more flair Wink  Anyway, just my take on the subject.  I think the music is fabulous and couldn't really care less what he really believes as long as he keeps making it.
If Mr Stolte was a "Secular Humanist" I don't think that there would be as many biblical references in the lyrics. Interpretation of the FK's lyrics suggest that Stolte is very much influenced by Genesis (and that is the first book of the bible and not Mr Gabriels Public school boy band Tongue). I am not a theologian, but have read enough about the bible to realise that it's no more than a political manifesto set out in the fourth and fifth centuries A.D. And in no way should anybody in the 21st century use the ideas of bronze age nomads and mysoginists as a basis to run their lives or in fact a society. I have always found the idea of a personal god so preposterous that it wasn't even worth spending any time thinking about it.
It's fairly obvious that the model set out by evolution is currently the best we have, and until somebody finds scientific evidence to discredit him, Charles Darwin and his Origin of Species trumps the bible in every provable way.
Wink
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2012 at 16:49
Doesn't matter.

Mreh.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 10:03
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

If Mr Stolte was a "Secular Humanist" I don't think that there would be as many biblical references in the lyrics. Interpretation of the FK's lyrics suggest that Stolte is very much influenced by Genesis (and that is the first book of the bible and not Mr Gabriels Public school boy band Tongue). I am not a theologian, but have read enough about the bible to realise that it's no more than a political manifesto set out in the fourth and fifth centuries A.D. And in no way should anybody in the 21st century use the ideas of bronze age nomads and mysoginists as a basis to run their lives or in fact a society. I have always found the idea of a personal god so preposterous that it wasn't even worth spending any time thinking about it.
It's fairly obvious that the model set out by evolution is currently the best we have, and until somebody finds scientific evidence to discredit him, Charles Darwin and his Origin of Species trumps the bible in every provable way.
Wink

Not necessarily.  I think the biblical references are just convenient and easily understood by just about anyone who would be listening (mostly Americans and Europeans).  As I said, he probably grew up in a Christian environment like many of us, and it is familiar reference material.  There are a lot of positive themes in Christianity and he draws on those as well.  Survival of the fittest doesn't lend itself to uplifting and happy themes Wink LOL

Unless he likes to hide the fact that he is really a Christian from his fans and deliberately lie about it (which, wouldn't, obviously, be very Christian of him, would it?).  He does say he is a spiritual person, so obviously he's not an atheist like yourself.  Neither am I for that matter, but that doesn't stop me from agreeing with the scientific theory of evolution, either.  He feels that science doesn't explain everything, and I agree with that, as does any rational person (of course, like yourself, I feel that is just because we haven't advanced our knowledge and technology far enough to explain it.....yet).

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 11:55

Wink

Not necessarily.  I think the biblical references are just convenient and easily understood by just about anyone who would be listening (mostly Americans and Europeans).  As I said, he probably grew up in a Christian environment like many of us, and it is familiar reference material.  There are a lot of positive themes in Christianity and he draws on those as well.  Survival of the fittest doesn't lend itself to uplifting and happy themes Wink LOL

Unless he likes to hide the fact that he is really a Christian from his fans and deliberately lie about it (which, wouldn't, obviously, be very Christian of him, would it?).  He does say he is a spiritual person, so obviously he's not an atheist like yourself.  Neither am I for that matter, but that doesn't stop me from agreeing with the scientific theory of evolution, either.  He feels that science doesn't explain everything, and I agree with that, as does any rational person (of course, like yourself, I feel that is just because we haven't advanced our knowledge and technology far enough to explain it.....yet).

Perhaps, his choice of reference could be widened, As Anderson/Howe produced the masterpeice that is "Tales From Topographic Oceans" based on a quasi-religious Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda maybe Stolte could produce a similarly inspired double CD based on some book that hasn't been used as yet. 2112 is simliarly based on works by Ayn Rand, of whom Peart was a big Fan. Maybe Stolte could base his epic on some Norse Mythology since he is Swedish , a CD about Trolls (not the internet variety Big smile) since they are also norse mythological creatures. Or why not a whole double set with each track having the latin name of a venemous snake.....Ophiophagus Hannah being my personal favourite as I took out a girl with that pallindromic name and she turned out to be a snake with tits !!! Hey ho.....
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 12:53

Wink

Perhaps, his choice of reference could be widened, As Anderson/Howe produced the masterpeice that is "Tales From Topographic Oceans" based on a quasi-religious Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda maybe Stolte could produce a similarly inspired double CD based on some book that hasn't been used as yet. 2112 is simliarly based on works by Ayn Rand, of whom Peart was a big Fan. Maybe Stolte could base his epic on some Norse Mythology since he is Swedish , a CD about Trolls (not the internet variety Big smile) since they are also norse mythological creatures. Or why not a whole double set with each track having the latin name of a venemous snake.....Ophiophagus Hannah being my personal favourite as I took out a girl with that pallindromic name and she turned out to be a snake with tits !!! Hey ho.....

That all sounds good to me Big smile

I do agree that his "typical" lyrical themes are starting to seem repetitious and it would be nice to get some different stuff in there.  In Agents of Mercy there actually was some different lyrical themes, with more story telling than you ever see on FK ablums.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 07:26
Originally posted by gazagod gazagod wrote:

I think you've answered your own question...there aren't easy answers(or any at all) in this life... for anyone the least bit alive-whose arteries haven't been hardened by slavish habits or bitter cynicism... using 'science' as evidence against spiritual potentialities is a 'childish game' --- science can say nothing on such issues- on the other hand, its lack of findings in such realms does not implicitly support 'faith' or obedience to ossified traditions...

However science gives us the indisputable FACT of evoution......thus negating logically the need for "God the creator of man" which is the basis of all monotheistic religions......as Douglas Adams succinctly puts it,
Oolon Colluphid - "that about wraps it up for god".
Also religion suffers from Bertrand Russell's teapot example, the burden of truth and all that...science can point at evolution and provide proof beyond all reasonable doubt.....as for religion.....

As Mark Twain wrote...
There are those who scoff at the school boy, calling him frivolous and shallow. Yet it was the school boy who said, Faith is believing what you know ain't so.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 09:35

However science gives us the indisputable FACT of evoution......thus negating logically the need for "God the creator of man" which is the basis of all monotheistic religions......as Douglas Adams succinctly puts it,
Also religion suffers from Bertrand Russell's teapot example, the burden of truth and all that...science can point at evolution and provide proof beyond all reasonable doubt.....as for religion.....

As Mark Twain wrote...
There are those who scoff at the school boy, calling him frivolous and shallow. Yet it was the school boy who said, Faith is believing what you know ain't so.

Here in America, evolution is out of fashion.  It's oh so stylish now to say that it's "just a theory" and that there is no proof and even if there is, you'd still need a creator to kick it all off.  The stupid is palpable here........
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2012 at 12:40

As Mark Twain wrote...

Here in America, evolution is out of fashion.  It's oh so stylish now to say that it's "just a theory" and that there is no proof and even if there is, you'd still need a creator to kick it all off.  The stupid is palpable here........

First of all, theories aren't facts, and they are not even meant to be ones (because that would make them dogmas, and science isn't supposed to have those). And I can't see, even if the current quite widely accepted view of evolution was 100% correct, how that would end the conversation about god, universe&everything. Evolution doesn't go beyond the beginning of a first life form, and its explanatory power ends there as well.
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>