Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReasons why Phish are a true prog band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 09:56
Yea it's crazy to me that someone could hear a song like Reba with it's intensely complex middle section with multiple key, tempo and mood changes and not immediately go "ok, this band is prog"

On top of that, McGrupp, Forbins, Mockingbird, David Bowie, Divided Sky, My Friend My Friend, Fluffhead, Time Turns Elastic, You Emjoy Myself just to name a few where the prog is overwhelming. There's dozens more that might just have a 30 second portion that breaks into electric/symphonic prog territory. Then dozens of songs that unfurl into space rock territory..

The weird thing is this idea that like maybe they're proggy because they have some songs like that, but not every song is like that. I'd say that a slight majority of bands on here have as many "normal" songs as "proggy" ones.

Phish's main influences have always felt like Zappa, Genesis and The Talking Heads circa Remain In Light to me..

The grateful Dead comparison does t really hold up unless you're just comparing the people who like them or you're unaware of any other rock bands who improvise. I'm assuming that people here don't fall into the latter category.

Not that complexity is a prerequisite for greatness, because it absolutely isn't, but Junta and Lawn Boy have more complex change on a dime arrangements than the entire Pink Floyd catalog and I don't see anyone doubting their prog bonafides.

Sometimes I wonder if the issue is that Phish is just super goofy and seems to be taking the piss out of prog along with every other genre they play. After Zappa nobody else really took up that mantle of playing incredibly accomplished music without taking it seriously whatsoever. Phish is - to me anyway- like a Cornier Zappa.

Also, wasn't it phish who inducted Genesis to the Rock Hall Of Fame by playing Watcher In The Skies? Not that this means anything, but it's telling.
nichobert View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2015 at 10:56
Also while I'm here, I'd like to thank ProgArchives for helping me find so many crazy bands!

I made a decision to plunge head first into progressive rock after listening to some gorgeous tinkling Phish jam (like a Simple/Reba/Hood/Slave/Roggae style beauty jam) and realiZing I had no concept of any other bands that sounded that way. I've spent the last year or so immersing myself in bands that I've found here, on RateYourMusic (shout out to AshraTom! I'm on board with you on everything but the Midwest America/Ontario stuff lol) - especially one guys lists where he basically lists every progressive band in every country. Oh, and the God, Pierro Scaruffi.

I'm mainly into the more coherent/melodic Zeuhl stuff, along with some of the more psychedelically romantic sounding Italian and South American bands, loving some of these great German bands I never heard despite being really into the more motorik krautrock stuff forever, Quebec had a spectacular scene in the 70s with their folky weirdness..France is my favorite though. So many amazing bands. No slight to the "Canterbury scene" who probably produced my favorite bands outside of King Crimson. Avant Prog can go either way for me, kinda like free jazz I like it immensely when it's either more spacey or more rhythmic and isn't too screechy (and it's always been a shame to me that the free jazz tended so strongly towards expressing itself in screechy wailing, but I guess that's a product of its times)- finding prog rock that reminds me of the restrained nature of post rock (but 20 years earlier!) makes my day. I had generally avoided anything past the early 80s because I feel like the main influences became Rush ( who I dig) and Porcupine Tree (who I decidedly do not) along with a lot of metal, bombast and technical skill for the sake of technical skill.. But lately ive been crazy impressed with the newer avant prog and Zeuhl stuff I'm finding. Not everything turned into Marillon style fluff or endless finger tapping nonsense and macho posturing! Score!

So in essence, I never really found anything that sounded like a clear antecedent to a Harry Hood jam, but I do have a two terabyte hard drive filled up (for research purposes only!) with tons of prog, psych, jazz , avant garde and modern/minimal classical, and the vast majority of it all is stuff I hadn't heard of two years ago.

My plan as it sits now, is to make a series of a few dozen mixes that start with a Phish song, then fade out of the improvisational portion and into a succession of arranged snippets of obscure music..and then drop these on my Phish fan friends like a bomb. Most of these kids have great taste in music but a massive blind spot where prog should be, and it's silly that they should like so much highly inventive music but not know who Gentle Giant or Hatfield And The North are! They'll know soon enough once I blow their minds!
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 08:50
Phish is probably my second favorite band of all time, and because I've listened to them so much I must agree that prog is potent from Junta to Farmhouse. Although they haven't been super progressive like other neo prog bands from that time I do think that they have it especially on my favorite track of theirs. (obviously The Divided Sky). Also to some extent their bouncing back and forth is what may be the true side of raw progressive music. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 08:43
Great. Now you guys have me wanting to check out Phish. I thought they were just a Grateful Dead stoner wannabe band?

Edited by Jeffro - March 24 2015 at 08:43
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 08:43
Junta is definitely worth checking out.  I was never too enamored of their other albums for some reason.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 09:55
They're s.h.i.t.e and burn kittens live on stage
'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 13:38
I love Phish, but to call them prog is misleading, I think. Junta is actually prog and a very good album, Lawn Boy has some very good compositions (like Reba), but a lot of jamming also. Rift is a nice concept album (nothing outstanding but with a couple of really strong tunes). The rest of their production is not what I'd recommend to a prog fan, but nonetheless A Pciture of Nectar is very good and Time Turns Elastic, from their Joy album, is one of their most ambitious pieces since the '90s.

However, it's not important whether Phish are prog or not. I'd recommend their Live Phish series, they're so good in the live setting (especially, check Vol. 2, 3, 4, 6, 15, 18 and 20).
nichobert View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 10:58
I guess I'm just interested in how prog a band has to be in ordered to be considered progressive... lol

They've probably got 40-50 songs that feature segments that are undeniably progressive rock in nature. Then maybe 100 others that are just plain weird.

I also don't really quite get why improv would disqualify them in some way. A lot of really well regarded classic progressive bands featured improvisation in varying degrees.

Like Lawn Boy has Reba which i'd have to think is more consciously progressive than a majority of bands on this site... It has a jam section too, but it's governed by a series of vaguely sketched out changes that keeps it on an upward trajectory. Same with Run Like An Antelope where the jam is defined by "gears" as it goes from a staccato pulse to an otherworldly crescendo before dropping on a dime into some not-so-funky white reggae.

Squirming Coil goes through a lot of complex changes that feel very natural in context. I've always thought the trickier parts of it were one of Phish's most underrated compositions. Nothing showy about it but it's constantly going through weird changes

Split Open & Melt has a few strangely fitting sections in the beginning but is basically just an excuse to jam.. Only the jam is in a mix of three measures of 4/4 and one measure of 9/8 which gives it this wonderfully herky jerky quality. 

In general though, there's not much that connects Phish with the Dead outside of their fanbase. Phish has always had a passing interest in country, bluegrass and old timey rock & roll but they're a pretty small portion of their genre stew. 

It's just mystifying seeing a band who wrote some of the best "classic" progressive rock stuff of the 80s and 90s being lumped in with bands that pretty much just play hard rock with an occasional twist thrown in.  Even a relatively latter day album from the period where they were wholeheartedly embracing Remain In Light and other groove based music - Story Of The Ghost- has Guyute & Limb By Limb which are probably more progressive than 95% of the music relegated to "Prog-Related"

If a Pink Floyd or Yes put out an album tomorrow with songs featuring the more proggy parts of any of Phish's 50 most proggy songs everyone would be rejoicing about them returning to form. So it's just strange to me.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:03
Guys, Phish is in the archives, so there's no real need to debate their prog-worthiness or lack thereof.
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 18:47
Check this out guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1saKDqEQmBE

Phish do organic eclecticism like no one else. Jon Fishman is the man.
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 15:28
I'm not going to bump this thread to hell, but I also wanted to recommend "It's Ice" to people. It's too proggy for folks to miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaxcCaYe6rE
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 15:39
Prog is not a badge of honour. It's not even a guarantee for good music nor great imagination. Some of the most progressive artists out there are not prog. 
Take Sun Ra, Sunn O))) and Ennio Morricone - all of which have been submitted for inclusion on this very site at one point or another. None of them are prog, but they were just as boundary pushing and experimental as any artist listed on PA you care to throw at them. Would any of them, including Phish, be better/better off/more important/cooler/insert something - if they were included in a prog proper sub?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 16:29
My interest in this thread (and any other Phish related conversation on this site) is a lot of people think of them as a Grateful Dead knockoff and, since they don't like that band, they skip Phish. There's a lot of interesting ideas in their music that prog fans would like. Just spreading the word.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2015 at 16:35
Alright thenThumbs Up
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2015 at 19:15
Don't forget live-only songs that are some of their proggiest songs.

Harry Hood
Colonel Forbin's Ascent
Fly Famous Mockingbird
Harpua
The Lizards
McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters
'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2015 at 03:22
I think Punch You in the Eye as well as Weekapaug Groove deserve a mention too. The latter often goes places during live executions, like the one in January this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5U2K_iN_lU
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2015 at 08:40
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I thought they were just a Grateful Dead stoner wannabe band?
That's what I thought at first but it turned out they were extremely different. 

Edited by aglasshouse - April 08 2015 at 08:40
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 03:53
Phish in the PA pantheon and still no Grateful Dead, more's the pity.  The Dead were so much more inventive.....so much more PROGRESSIVE. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 23:58

Yes, definitely not a Grateful Dead knockoff and much more inventive than the “jam band” tag would lead some to believe.  Right now I’m listening to the “Live in Brooklyn” version of The Divided Sky which wanders heavily into prog territory.

I’ve long felt that many hardcore Phish Heads could be easily turned onto, say, early Caravan albums like Grey and Pink, Girl Who Grow Plump, Waterloo Lily, etc., or early Camel or maybe Soft Machine or other classic 70s prog albums if they had the opportunity.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 00:23
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Yes, definitely not a Grateful Dead knockoff and much more inventive than the “jam band” tag would lead some to believe.  Right now I’m listening to the “Live in Brooklyn” version of The Divided Sky which wanders heavily into prog territory.

I’ve long felt that many hardcore Phish Heads could be easily turned onto, say, early Caravan albums like Grey and Pink, Girl Who Grow Plump, Waterloo Lily, etc., or early Camel or maybe Soft Machine or other classic 70s prog albums if they had the opportunity.

Phish phans know and love prog almost as much as anyone here. If you check out any of the band's forums, like Phish.net/forum there are discussions about Canterbury, Zappa, Dream Theater, Yes, King Crimson, Soft Machine, Gentle Giant, jazz fusion, and modern prog too.

It's the other way around. Prog fans, or just anyone unfamiliar with their music, will hear 'jam band' and think Grateful Dead/southern blues/noodling guitar music, when actually Phish's music is sophisticated, of its time and ahead of its time, at the same time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>