Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A good proggy bass guitar!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2013 at 15:19
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by sturoc sturoc wrote:

Dean you touch upon a few good tech points there.
 Though infocat said in" laymans terms" which  I put simply,  as evidenced by his reply.
A violin vs Double bass, Mandolin vs guitar vs bass, on and on.
Except that's not the whole story, nor is it the reason for the size difference. A bass guitar can be the same size as a regular guitar and still play an octave lower - the size difference is for the tone not the pitch and that's as "layman" as I can get.

I love it ... like ripping the Ricky in "prog" ...

I think it important to help folks know what the music is about ... but to state outright and blindly, that it is because of a sound ... is totally insane ... heck ... PFM and Banco even used the concert basses many times ... but that is ... being ignored! And not progressive? ... who needs an expensive Ricky? Ohhh heck, ELO played Cellos and other low strings too!

NOW, if the idea is for the person to buy one? ... I would tell him ... bad idea ... but these days the Bogey Man 5 string is becoming real popular and will likely make the Ricky sound bad and cheap one of these days! Me? ... I probably would by a nice Stratus Graphite 5 string bass (similar to Guy Pratt's), or go with a nice Warwick 5 string of some kind ... if not a nice 5 String ESP or Shecter. My hand is too smal for a 6 string. Ohhh ... btw ... if you want an even more "proggy" bass, even the "Bitch", or the ones that Levin and friends are playing around with, would be way more "proggy" than the ones you even consider!
Which has got absolutely nothing to do with my post, but thanks anyway.
What?
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2013 at 12:18
It's not the bass that makes it "proggy" but how it's setup and played.  When I played bass in late 70's prog bands I had an Ibanez Rocket Roll Flying V bass.  Beautiful instrument.  Then in the early 90's I finally played a Rick 4001...OMG it was the smoothest playing most tonally versatile bass I'd ever played.  Got a great deal on a used 1 for about $500 (in 1991) and have never cheated on her with another bass since.  A Rick doesn't mean you'll sound like Squire or Geddy, it's all in the signal processing and type of strings (rounds or flats).  A great feature of the 4001 is a separate output for bridge and neck pickups.  I get a mind blowing sound by running the neck pickup clean and the bridge pickup throught a distortion box.

Edited by The.Crimson.King - June 29 2013 at 12:19
ESHWOR KC View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ESHWOR KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2013 at 23:48
i would love to buy thatSmile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 07:00
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

A Rick doesn't mean you'll sound like Squire or Geddy,

How true that is. I've always loved the Ricky sound and thought the best bass sound ever was on side one of "Hemispheres" but then I eventually found that Geddy played that on a Fender. A lot of the Geddy sound comes from his finger technique.

I use a Warwick and get quite a good "proggy" sound with a bit of distortion from my Fender Rumble 350 combo.  Not quite the old Ricky sound but it's good enough (as I don't play in a prog band anyway).

Edited by chopper - July 02 2013 at 07:01
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2013 at 10:04
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

A Rick doesn't mean you'll sound like Squire or Geddy,

How true that is. I've always loved the Ricky sound and thought the best bass sound ever was on side one of "Hemispheres" but then I eventually found that Geddy played that on a Fender. A lot of the Geddy sound comes from his finger technique.

I remember the first time I saw Chris Squire playing a Fender, I thought, "Oh no, why are you doing this?" Cry   Same with Geddy and his Fender Jazz bass.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 00:25
Listen. I was really blown away with NICK BEGG's performance on the track LUMINOL off the new STEVEN WILSON album, THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING. So well done. It was crunchy and fast!! Took center stage too!

Also. Post-Rock's OSI's opening track 'SURE YOU WILL' off FREE by JOEY VERA is Outstanding. Provides an excellent intro to a great song. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 02:36
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

these days the Bogey Man 5 string is becoming real popular, specially in the metal areas with folks like John Myung ripping the 5 and 6 string on these ... 
I think you meant Music Man (by Earnie Ball)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 06:35
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Listen. I was really blown away with NICK BEGG's performance on the track LUMINOL off the new STEVEN WILSON album, THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING. So well done. It was crunchy and fast!! Took center stage too! 

Clap
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2013 at 06:42
I have a humble Peavey 'Fender Precision copy',  it's nothing to recommend particularly but for my level it produces acceptable enough sounds.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 11:58
Its time for me to live out my lifelong fantasy and get a bass guitar, since I am such a fan! I am thinking of getting a starter = The Peavey Millennium BXP 4-String Bass Guitar. Reviews say that its a great value and easy playablility. 
I will be getting some effects pedals as well , really go crazy on the sound.

Edited by tszirmay - July 07 2013 at 11:59
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 17:41
Oh how about JON JOWITT on the title track of the album, SUBTERANEA.
Jesus. I don't know what kind of bass he has, but it thumps my ears off! So awesome.

Also. I just want to say that ever since I bought the Sennheiser HD800 headphones I've been more if an admirer of solid bass playing...largely because I can f**king hear now!
I'm sorry, but HD headphones are mandatory for quality prog listening experiences. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2013 at 17:48
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Clap

It's up for album of the year in the PROG ROCK awards run by prog rock magazine.
I think it will win. I was surprised to see the latest Spocks Beard effort to be nominated as well.
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Neck Romancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2013 at 16:59
I've got a fretless Geddy Lee Jazz Bass and an Ibanez BTB575FM. 35" scale, heavy Rotosounds, excellent active EQ, too bad it requires two 9V batteries.

That's not my picture, btw. I also have a cheap Chinese double bass but it hasn't seen use with a group (yet). Both of those basses have EXCELLENT tones (the Ibanez is really versatile and the B string sounds perfect) but, if I could do it, I'd sell them both and buy two Wals.

A Mark III Wal with these exact configurations but fretted...

... and a fretless Mark I Wal just like Colin Edwin's.

Bobby J View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bobby J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 23:00
USA Fender Jazz Bass, great Prog Bass, great bass period, I also own the Geddy Lee Jazz bass, Mexican version great bass
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 04:00

It's not the bass that makes it "proggy" but how it's setup and played.  When I played bass in late 70's prog bands I had an Ibanez Rocket Roll Flying V bass.  Beautiful instrument.  Then in the early 90's I finally played a Rick 4001...OMG it was the smoothest playing most tonally versatile bass I'd ever played.  Got a great deal on a used 1 for about $500 (in 1991) and have never cheated on her with another bass since.  A Rick doesn't mean you'll sound like Squire or Geddy, it's all in the signal processing and type of strings (rounds or flats).  A great feature of the 4001 is a separate output for bridge and neck pickups.  I get a mind blowing sound by running the neck pickup clean and the bridge pickup throught a distortion box.
So did Chris Squire on Fragile. Except he used a Fender guitar amp for neck pickup and a bass amp for bridge pickup, I believe.

Edited by SteveG - January 31 2018 at 04:00
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 05:13
Usually, any bassist who chooses a Rickenbacker as his (her) bass, is a champion for me.
.......I love you, Kyoko Kanazawa....
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 05:33
The one guarantee I can make is that you won't find a Rick cheap. Unless you go for a Chinese Rickenbacker clone, AKA a Chickenbacker.

The last time I had a chance to buy a Rick 4003 at a reasonable price was in the mid 80's, when no one wanted them. I had the money in my pocket at the time. Things are slightly different now. ;-)

I can't recommend a Rick as the double truss rod system is a hideous idea. If not properly adjusted, Ricks tend to have all kinds of neck problems. They really are overpriced rubbish. 

Going through a list of "prog" basses - nor would I go for a Precision bass if I wanted a cutting, solo sound. Personally, I'd go for a Gibson EB-3 or the excellent Epiphone copy or a Jazz. The Squier Classic Player 60's jazz is excellent, pretty cheap and you can get some interesting noises out of it. 

If you want to go high end, try a WAL. If you can find one. Other options are also Thunderbirds, but they may a bit thuddy. 

Personally, I use a Danelectro Longhorn short scale for my bass work. But then again, I've never been conventional in my bass tastes. ;-)

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 05:34
PS Try looking at Warwicks as well. 

By the way, I do play bass. For solo prog rock noises, I'd be tempted to go single coil rather than humbuckers. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 31 2018 at 05:35

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 06:52
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

The one guarantee I can make is that you won't find a Rick cheap. Unless you go for a Chinese Rickenbacker clone, AKA a Chickenbacker.

The last time I had a chance to buy a Rick 4003 at a reasonable price was in the mid 80's, when no one wanted them. I had the money in my pocket at the time. Things are slightly different now. ;-)

I can't recommend a Rick as the double truss rod system is a hideous idea. If not properly adjusted, Ricks tend to have all kinds of neck problems. They really are overpriced rubbish. 

Going through a list of "prog" basses - nor would I go for a Precision bass if I wanted a cutting, solo sound. Personally, I'd go for a Gibson EB-3 or the excellent Epiphone copy or a Jazz. The Squier Classic Player 60's jazz is excellent, pretty cheap and you can get some interesting noises out of it. 

If you want to go high end, try a WAL. If you can find one. Other options are also Thunderbirds, but they may a bit thuddy. 

Personally, I use a Danelectro Longhorn short scale for my bass work. But then again, I've never been conventional in my bass tastes. ;-)
My Ricky is a 4001, 1980 make. It needs some work, but plYs well. I love it. I’m always awkward when I’m playing a mate’s P-Bass for recordings.........
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 08:40
Hi,

Just a question about all this ... with all the electronics that everyone can get these days, wouldn't even a cheap bass be able to imitate something else? 

It seems rather strange to me, that you have to buy a Stratavarious, in order to get a good violin sound (so to speak!), when you can easily replicate it nowadays with some reasonable electronics, at a very do'able price? 

I imagine that as one gets more proficient that he/she would want the real thing itself ... but that might be just me thinking at this point. 

I have an Epiphone EB-3 (hard on my small fingers), and a short scale Ibanez that I have not gotten to fool around with enough yet!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>