Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A good proggy bass guitar!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 09:25
Simple answer - "not really". 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 16:54
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

The one guarantee I can make is that you won't find a Rick cheap. Unless you go for a Chinese Rickenbacker clone, AKA a Chickenbacker.

LMAO!

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Personally, I use a Danelectro Longhorn short scale for my bass work. But then again, I've never been conventional in my bass tastes. ;-)

How much was it?
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 08:17
This is the same 2006 reissue as mine. Not sure how much my particular reissue goes for now, you can't get them anymore. Besides, I'm in the UK. Have a look on eBay. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 10:03
As a PS, A Chickenbacker is a normal term for a Chinese Rickenbacker clone. 

See also Chibson. ;-)

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 10:51
Chibson just doesn't have the same ring to it. ;)
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 10:54
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Just a question about all this ... with all the electronics that everyone can get these days, wouldn't even a cheap bass be able to imitate something else? 

You might get a similar sound  but then a cheap bass is not going to play as well as a more expensive one. There's a reason why they're more expensive.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 06:05
Also I very much doubt you'd get anything like a similar sound, to be honest. You have to introduce so many effects that the sound of the bass disappears and you're just left with the effects. 

Even with modern VST technology, you can't really replace real instruments. You can get an approximation, but a $150 plugin will not come close to, say, a real Moog modular. It gets especially bad when trying to simulate brass or woodwind instruments, I hear so many VST saxes which sound absolutely toe curlingly appalling. Actually, I used to do a lot of sax session work for bands who assumed that a VST sax would sound passable, and then found it didn't. 

As Chopper says, a discount bass will still feel like a discount bass. If you have pickups which ... don't, and the body is made out of an outhouse door, you can't add to what's not there. And it'll play horribly as well. Having said that, starter basses are a lot better quality from the absolute rubbish I started on many, many years ago. 

Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 14:05
Anything with a rich, dynamic sound range. Sometimes you can take a blander sounding bass and boost the harmonics (mid-range and treble) to bring out more clarity and sound.

I love Rickenbackers, but they're expensive these days, and have had manufacturing issues in recent years.

Edited by Boojieboy - July 16 2018 at 14:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 09:52
There's a good point above that buying a Rick will not make you automatically sound like Chris Squire. 

Older readers may remember no-hope guitarists buying white Strats by the shed load: for some strange reason, this didn't automatically turn them into Jimi Hendrix. Can't think why. 

Bass is really all about technique. It's easy to play bass badly and get into bad habits: getting a good sound out of a bass is very subtle indeed. You certainly won't get a fantastic sound out of a cheap instrument, but buying an expensive bass doesn't guarantee that you'll sound good, either. 

Also small things like skimping on strings or having a bad setup will destroy your tone. I can just pick a guitar up and tell if someone can play or not judging on how well it's been set up. 

The good news is that there is a huge selection of basses out there all better made than the planks of wood I (and many others) had to start with in the 1980's. Most are better made than "quality instruments" of the 60's and 70's. 

If the question is "what constitutes a "prog" bass" then that depends on a lot of factors, to be honest. 

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2018 at 19:23
I've always gone with Ibanez, and I've never been let down. My main is an RG550 fretless.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 07:44
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

I'd like to buy a new bass guitar somedays. I was wandering how much should I save for a good bass guitar and what are the best bass guitar I could try. I'd like to have a proggy sound. Like a signature sound. Or maybe something unusual. I always wonder if there's an unknown company out there that makes quality basses who are cheaper than the big names.

I already have:

A Douglas (Hofner imitation) bass wich is the first I bought.
An Ergodyne Ibanez
A Takamine acoustic bass
And
A Gibson SG bass

There's no such thing as a "proggy" guitar to my mind. The prog is in the player....

Edited by flyingveepixie - November 26 2018 at 07:30
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 14:55
Ive had a Tokei Korean Rickenbacker copy for years and didn't pay much for it at all (£150?) and assumed its a shed. This didn't matter much to me as i'm not a professional musician (just fiddle about for my own amusement... like many men) but a friend took it to a well known professional bass builder (who I wont name here) who said it was actually a pretty good bit of kit, set it up professionally and sorted the glitchy electrics.. has a slightly wider neck than a real Rick apparently. I thought the pick ups were rubbish but supposedly they are ok Jap pick-ups (toaster-tops?). Anyway, ive had it 20+ years and I like it; im sure that other knowledgeable, professional bassists might scoff but as i'm not going to be setting my self up as anything other than a sad middle age bedroom bassist I guess its ok ;0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234