A New Queensr˙che Tribute Album is Accepting Submissions.
Coming off Din Within’s recent release of “Changes” on the Yes Tribute album from Mellow Records, Digital Din is planning the creation and release of a tribute album to the seminal prog-metal band Queensr˙che. It occurred to us that we have lots of friends who have bands/projects that could potentially contribute.
Before you read further, understand that our vision for a tribute album is to “re-imagine” the original song with a new perspective – “perfect covers” are pointless to the listener, as the original album is available… why would someone buy an album of bands that aren't Queensr˙che, trying to sound just like Queensr˙che, when most of our potential buyers will have the original band’s entire discography already?
So, a creative approach to the music is not only recommended, it is essentially required.
We’re particularly interested in considerably different or unique takes on the material – while I’m not so sure a smooth jazz version of “Revolution Calling” would make the cut, having a singer-songwriter do “Best I Can” might be really nifty. Or a punk band doing “Don’t Trust the Needle.” You get the drift. So, you don’t have to be a melodic prog metal band to participate. In fact, being one might work against you. :-)
Here’s the straight dope:
- Digital Din would personally vet all bands and approve all tracks for the album. Meaning, it will be a quality album. We’re not unwilling to "cut" sub-par submissions. It’s not personal – but the album can’t be dragged down by mediocrity.
- Digital Din will also executive-produce and master it, and ensure that it is a professional-sounding, professional-looking, professionally duplicated package (no CDR’s or inkjet productions here.) It will be available for purchase on Amazon.com, as well as most of the major mp3 sites like iTunes, etc.
- We will properly license all cover tunes through Harry Fox or similar.
- There will be no fees charged to the bands who participate. However, all costs of recording, mixing, and producing a “master-quality” tape are the responsibility of the artist/band. Eventual submissions (by selected artists) will be mailed in duplicate to Digital Din, on CD media only.
- Bands will not be financially compensated for their inclusion, but each band will be properly credited, including website links, personnel information, and other information.
- Each included band will receive 5 copies of the completed album at no cost. Additional copies can be made available to bands at reduced "artist" pricing.
- You retain the rights to reproduce/publish your version of the song on your own future releases (but you are responsible for obtaining legal clearances for subsequent releases).
This will be a nice “bonus” release for you to get your band’s name into the hands of music fans.
How to submit/rules/guidelines:
- This project is limited to Bands/Groups with real previous recording/performing credits only. We’re not interested in developing new talent, we’re interested in releasing a quality product that people want to buy. If playing your cousin’s graduation party has been your highest profile gig so far, this project isn’t for you. The same applies if you’ve never released a “real” album (and I hope you know what we mean by this.)
- Likewise, anything you submit should be recorded professionally! Consider this an audition – excuses about “all I have is this basement rehearsal tape” don’t get callbacks.
- Be prepared to arrange, rehearse, and professionally record your cover tune within the next 4-8 months or so. Deadlines have not been set yet, but we will want to incorporate some “teaser” promo as we get nearer to production, and delays will needlessly complicate these efforts and limit their effectiveness. However, DON'T start work on your song until you've received confirmation that you're locked in for the album (and for which song.)
Understand and agree to all of the above? For consideration, please visit and “Like” the Digital Din Page at Facebook ( http://www.facebook.com/digitaldin ) , and use the “send message” to connect us to links of your previously recorded music.
Include the following info:
- Name of band/project/artist
- Website Link
- Facebook Page Link
- Direct links to 2 songs which you feel “capture” the character of your band
- List of three Queensr˙che songs you’d prefer to do, in order of preference (Note: see list in comments for songs which are already “taken” and unavailable)
- The typed statement: “I/we understand that submitting this information, that I/we are not guaranteed a spot on the project. I/we also acknowledge that if selected, we are expected to produce and submit a “radio-quality” version of the song selected for us, and that I/we will be providing the song with the express consent to publish that song for the initial pressing (and subsequent re-pressings) of the tribute album. My/Our Artist name/web address may also be used to promote this release both before and after it is released.”
Thanks for your interest – We look forward to what should be an amazing project!
-- Mark of Digital Din Publishing
Edited by sixandeight - July 09 2012 at 14:09