Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy does Glass Hammer get Hammered here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 15:18
A very nice band indeed. Sure, you can hear the Yes influences, but it's nothing like a clone or anything. Actually I prefer a few of their best songs over most of Yes's classic material Tongue
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 15:12
Glass Hammer is great. There's a lot of opinionated jerks who think it makes them sound more intelligent if they trash bands around here. Don't take them seriously, I guess. This site should be about appreciation of music, but there's too many people who think they need to trash another band to make their favorite sound good, and they're just hurting themselves by being so over critical is all.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 15:06
I consider a 3.75 average rating to be excellent, actually.  I wouldn't worry.  Only the absolute top dogs end up with average ratings over 4. Consider the sample size, too.  Any average rating calculated from less than 100 ratings is probably not that reliable.

Edited by HolyMoly - July 10 2012 at 15:20
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 14:55
I've never heard anything from them, but I must admit from reading all those reviews talking about how they sound like YES - doesn't exactly make me wet myself. I love YES, but when I want to hear YES, then I pop on Relayer. 

These people maybe wrong though, I know - but there's a good deal of writers whom I respect that mostly describe their music as being very close to the aforementioned band. 

On another note, many a bands featured here on PA have 'low' ratings according to other sites. One of my old favourites, Franco Battiato's debut album Fetus, had a rating below 3 before I reviewed it. Personally I found that to be verging on the offensive, and I don't even pay attention to ratingsLOL
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 14:41
Because frankly I find them to be rather unoriginal and not very interesting. I never rated any of their albums, though.
There be dragons
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 14:39
Glass Hammer has a few albums that should be rated over 4.00, but they are lower at PA.  Compare their top four  albums to anything on the 2011 top 100, and their albums are rated low.  Their highest is a 3.75.  They make solid prog.  Why don't they get higher ratings from the PA audience?  Do they sound too much like other groups?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456