Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy does Glass Hammer get Hammered here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 17:22
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

GOD! You just can't accept that everybody don't share your opinions about music, can you? 

What I can't accept is the trolling.

The things you flip sh*t about aren't trolling by any stretch of the imagination.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 17:22

WAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HA!!!  LOL
Sorry...that was too funny.

I love Dream Theater too!  Wink
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 17:25

GOD! You just can't accept that everybody don't share your opinions about music, can you? 

What I can't accept is the trolling.  Look, have you ever read UMUR's reviews?  I've never read anything negative from him.  He can write a 3 star review, and if you didn't look at the stars, you'd think he loved the album because he says nice things.  This is something I am striving to emulate now that I am writing reviews in return for receiving free promos.  I have not yet written a review under 3 stars, and if I got something that I thought I might want to dip to that level or below, I'd tell the guy who sends me the promos that I'm not sure I want to write that one, because I always want to be respectful.  But I don't think that's a sentiment most reviewers agree with - I think a lot of people think it's cool to be insulting, because other people who share their hatred of that music applaud them and tell them how funny they were.
There is nothing wrong with a negative review. Actually, I think most musicians would prefer a sincere, negative review to a positive, ass-licking one. And it is, of course, possible to be both negative and respectful at the same time. That's what you should be striving for IMO, to always be respectful, but critical.

(Sorry for all the edits. English is not my first language.)

Edited by The Bearded Bard - July 10 2012 at 18:54
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 18:06

What I can't accept is the trolling.  Look, have you ever read UMUR's reviews?  I've never read anything negative from him.  He can write a 3 star review, and if you didn't look at the stars, you'd think he loved the album because he says nice things.  This is something I am striving to emulate now that I am writing reviews in return for receiving free promos.  I have not yet written a review under 3 stars, and if I got something that I thought I might want to dip to that level or below, I'd tell the guy who sends me the promos that I'm not sure I want to write that one, because I always want to be respectful.  But I don't think that's a sentiment most reviewers agree with - I think a lot of people think it's cool to be insulting, because other people who share their hatred of that music applaud them and tell them how funny they were.

One can be respectful even in loathing a performance.

I know this because I am a teacher.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 18:09
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

I was just really curious why they get hit so hard.  I always thought it was the YES clone analogy.  However, what about Wobbler?  I think Wobbler is rated higher, but they did not make it over the 4.00 hump.  I think both bands have good albums.

Does Progressive Metal get more love than Symphonic?  I enjoy both.

Look at this list and tell me that every album rated over 4.00 is better than Lex Rex:

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?syears=2011#list

I'm not crazy about Lex Rex- it's okay to me (though I've only heard it two, three times).

Shadowlands is their best album- 5 stars.

Culture of Ascent is their second best and I think I gave that 5 stars.  The cover of "South Side of the Sky" is better than Yes' original. 

I liked Cor Cordium an awful lot.

Also, I have a crush on Susie Bogdanowicz.  Embarrassed
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 18:24

I was just really curious why they get hit so hard.  I always thought it was the YES clone analogy.  However, what about Wobbler?  I think Wobbler is rated higher, but they did not make it over the 4.00 hump.  I think both bands have good albums.

Look at this list and tell me that every album rated over 4.00 is better than Lex Rex:

I haven't heard any Wobbler, but from reading reviews, I think Wobbler gets rated a bit higher because they are so similar to Yes that people just tend to think of their stuff as "extra Yes albums" and rate the albums as if they had been made by Yes in the 70's.  Glass Hammer seems to me to sit a bit on the edge; not similar enough to Yes to be accepted as a total clone, but not different enough to avoid the "derivative" tag.  That's just my impression from the reviews and discussions around here; I'm not very familiar with the bands and I'm not trying to represent any particular person's opinion.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 18:37
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

I haven't heard any Wobbler, but from reading reviews, I think Wobbler gets rated a bit higher because they are so similar to Yes that people just tend to think of their stuff as "extra Yes albums" and rate the albums as if they had been made by Yes in the 70's.  Glass Hammer seems to me to sit a bit on the edge; not similar enough to Yes to be accepted as a total clone, but not different enough to avoid the "derivative" tag.  That's just my impression from the reviews and discussions around here; I'm not very familiar with the bands and I'm not trying to represent any particular person's opinion.

The three Wobbler albums sound like three different bands to me.  The first was good but all over the place.  The second was all over the place and bad.  The latest one, Rites of Dawn is straight up Yes revisited and it's their best album.  Perfect morning music.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 18:46
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

What I can't accept is the trolling.

The things you flip sh*t about aren't trolling by any stretch of the imagination.

I have to agree.

I love the band from Chronometree until Three Cheers for the Broken-Hearted, where they unfortunately became another Yes pastiche. They had pretty obvious influences from Kansas, ELP, Yes and another band I can't recall now, but they were still somewhat original. I haven't followed them since, though. I can understand why people dislike them, however, and I'm OK with it.

Edited by CCVP - July 10 2012 at 18:53
colorofmoney91 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2012 at 20:08
Aw yeah, gettin' hammered.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 01:26
I did 'hammer' their album 'If' which in my opinion is a poor clone of Yes. I really don't like it all.
However I do like Lex Rex,Shadowlands and Chronomotree and I love The Inconsolable Secret which in my opinion is a modern symph prog masterpeice and a long way from being a Yes clone. Unfortunately they pretty much ran out of ideas after that eventually ditching the wonderfull Susie B and decding to go with an obvious Jon Anderson sound a like. I really don't like it but my take is that all bands have a shelf life and GH have exceeded theirs by several years. I still have much to enjoy by them including the two DVD's 'Lex Live' and 'Live At Belmont' which I play a lot. Fred is an amazing talent but I reserve the right to not like their recent material and I respect that others will like this recent material which is absolutely fine. As for the ratings of their albums ..well most of them are considerably higher than ELP - Works Volume One yet GH will never touch the brilliance of Pirates no matter how long they carry on. I think they are treated fairly. There is a lot of good music out there and GH are just part of the melting pot.
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 02:14
I only have one Glass Hammer album, their Middle-Earth one.

Sorry, I don't care for it at all. Never bothered picking up anything else they've done based on that.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 02:41
I like em. Love the lead singer too as I saw him live at the Yes concert singing in place of Benoit and he was terrific. Good band and I must get round to reviewing the albums too.
frippism View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 02:48

There is nothing wrong with a negative review. Actually, I think most musicians would prefer a sincere, negative review to a positive, ass-licking one. And it is, of course, possible to be both negative and respectful at the same time. That's what you should be striving for IMO, to always be respectful, but critical.

(Sorry for all the edits. English is not my first language.)

Bard pretty much said what I thought. Geoff, nobody's insulting anything because it's cool. Most of the times we just exclaim we don't like things because frankly we don't like them. It's very weird I know. You'll find that most of the negative reviews are critical as well as opinionated and I see that as a good thing.  
There be dragons
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 20:42
I just found this to be an interesting topic, but I am no fanboy.  I like Glass Hammer along with the many other Prog groups in my collection.  I think they are solid, and they are releasing a new concept album entitled Perilous.

http://www.dprp.net/wp/?p=6486

Edited by javajeff - July 11 2012 at 20:43
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 20:51
Am I the only one who thought Three Cheers for the Broken Hearted was a good album?  Not their usual style but still a solid album, I thought.  Chronomotree is my favorite of their albums.  One thing I always thought they had a problem with was in the vocal department, so generally my favorites are the ones where they have someone else singing, Brad Marler on Chronomotree, Jon Davison on the last two and Carl Groves on Culture of Ascent.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 20:55
I really am not a fan and believe me i've tried. Just my taste in music that's all. Sometimes a band clicks sometimes they don't.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 21:29
Hey Doctor! I quite enjoyed `Three Cheers', it's a nice album from them to put on in the background when you're not in the mood to listen to bombastic, epic workouts! It's still very well played with great vocals. I wish they'd made a bit more effort with the cover, though!

Jon Davison has been great for them, though I really do miss the female vocals. I also liked it when Steve/Fred sang, even though they're not the most memorable of vocalists, there is a nice purity and honesty in their voices. Some of the favourites from Lex Rex and Shadowlands had those two singing.

I think `Cor Cordium' was more of a step away from the outright Yes comparisons, but I don't think the material was quite as memorable as the stuff on `If', which some have dismissed as a total Yes ripoff.

Still, I love the band, and how happy they are to produce epic, clasical, massive prog rock in the grandest tradition!
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 22:04
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Am I the only one who thought Three Cheers for the Broken Hearted was a good album?  Not their usual style but still a solid album, I thought.  Chronomotree is my favorite of their albums.  

I liek Three Cheers and have a review about it, if you'd like to check.
KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 22:18
To me, they're second tier. They're good, but I've got more A-list artists to explore before I really get into them.
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 22:22
Post-80s symph-prog (with a few exceptions) isn't that popular around here.

Shadowlands is fantastic, as is If. GH deserve a bit more renown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>