Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould I buy this audio system?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I buy this audio system?
    Posted: July 12 2012 at 15:40
I've never listened to music with Hi-Fi speakers or even great speakers... so it's time to get ones.
The problem is I have no idea about audio.
Now I have the chance of buying this audio system:
Video
Specifications
I'd only be using the amplifier, the turntable and the speakers...

1) Is that audio system good?
2) I want to play music from my computer. Is that possible? What do I need to do that? I own a generic sound card btw.

Sorry for my bad english!
Thank you.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 16:11
No.  I would only get if if you have a need to play cassettes.  Even then it would not likely be reliable at it's age.  If it only costs you pocket change then it might be worthwhile to take a gamble.

To play music from your computer you will need an adapter.  (The single plug thing has to be split into the old standard RCA plugs.)

Might be decent for that, but probably overkill.

Bottom line, if you can't try it out first and make it work, don't bother.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 12 2012 at 16:15
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 16:13
Sony does make nice products...Based on the specs it looks good. Do you have the chance to audition it in person? Your ears will tell you if you like it or not.
To play music from your computer you need to connect it to the amplifier somehow. Does your computer have a digital output like optical? You might need a USB converter to connect to this system and maybe even an external DAC. If you have an mp3 player (iPod, Zune, Phone...) you can connect that to this amplifiers AUX in with a cable and enjoy your digital music that way also. I would not use the cassette deck though.
It really just depends how serious you want to get and money wise too.

What kind of turntable does this come with?

Edited by Catcher10 - July 12 2012 at 16:14
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 16:22
For an old style amplifier you would just need a Y connector and an input for Aux.  The old style turntable inputs need a pre amp unless the turntable has one built in.

I had a receiver/amp unit many years ago that lasted forever.  Survived a house fire.  Needed a power pack replaced.  Good luck finding any replacement parts like that for the thing if something goes wrong.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 12 2012 at 16:25
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 16:31
^ According to the specs this Sony amp has onboard phono preamp for MM cartridge...any TT will work with it.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 16:42
If the turntable is part of the original system, then there should be no issues there.  If you try to bring in an older model it won't work unless the amp has a switch to turn off the built in preamp.  Although all in one systems tend to skimp on the quality of the components.  As a playback for a home computer, all you need is the right input and a splitter.

As for the turntable, assuming it is included, there will also be a concern as to whether or not replacement cartridges are still being made.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 12 2012 at 16:45

imma View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 17:05
Thank you!
I'll see if I can listen to music in this system (it was unplugged when I saw it) and make my mind.
Honestly I'm going to use the turntable only to play a small vinyl colection my dad has... if it wasn't part of the "combo" I wouldn't even buy a turntable.

What are the disadvantages of buying an old audio system, appart from the lack of replacement parts?
How much would you pay for it?

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Does your computer have a digital output like optical?

No, it doesn't.
Would it be a better option to buy a new sound card instead of an adapter?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 17:31
Did that video use the audio from the camera's mic when showcasing a sound system? LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 17:36
Originally posted by imma imma wrote:

Thank you!
I'll see if I can listen to music in this system (it was unplugged when I saw it) and make my mind.
Honestly I'm going to use the turntable only to play a small vinyl colection my dad has... if it wasn't part of the "combo" I wouldn't even buy a turntable.

What are the disadvantages of buying an old audio system, appart from the lack of replacement parts?
How much would you pay for it?

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Does your computer have a digital output like optical?

No, it doesn't.
Would it be a better option to buy a new sound card instead of an adapter?

It may not matter for you since you are in Argentina, you may not have any other choice as replacement parts would need to be ordered from over seas.
If you only want to play music off your computer then you might look into one of these little systems, not too expensive and you get a new system which you can use either headphones or a set of small desktop speakers.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 17:52
Hmm, if fully functional, complete dead reckoning, $100.  If you're only going to use the turntable rarely you might want to experiment with recording off of it to your computer.  It can be done depending on outputs.  A headphone output can be used as a computer audio input with most basic sound cards and then you could digitally record off of it...

wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 19:24

2) I want to play music from my computer. Is that possible? What do I need to do that? I own a generic sound card btw.

I don't think a generic sound card will work.  The sound quality isn't good. I have an external sound card which I plug in to an amplifier. But a new internal soundcard will be a cheaper I guess. One with right+left RCA outputs, which would be connected to the amplifier.

1) Is that audio system good? 

What about loudspeakers? I like loudspeakers with a deep bass , so it has a good frequency range going down to 20-22Hz. If it starts from 60Hz like many speakers do, maybe it won't be sufficient. I'm not an expert, though...but it's something to think about.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2012 at 19:40
Originally posted by wilmon91 wilmon91 wrote:

I like loudspeakers with a deep bass , so it has a good frequency range going down to 20-22Hz. If it starts from 60Hz like many speakers do, maybe it won't be sufficient.
Most of good speakers (up to $2000/pair) have low range starting from 40-55 Hz. There are subwoofers for lower frequencies.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
 Post Reply Post Reply