Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: IQ's Subterranea to become feature length film
    Posted: July 13 2012 at 16:17
http://www.iq-hq.co.uk/

FTA:

Greetings,

We bring you exciting news that IQ's legendary double CD, 'Subterranea' is being made into a feature length film!

A team of American filmmakers have been working with the concept album for over a year now, adapting it into a screenplay and are ready to officially launch the news that production of the film is scheduled to begin in 2013. The project is in the pre-production phase right now and fund raising has begun. The filmmakers will need as much support and help from the fans of the band to spread the word and build momentum for the project.

Subterranea-Movie.com is the film's official website. The site will become increasingly interactive as the project gets closer to it's release, so be sure to check it out often. Watch the counters for hidden features to become live and more of the 'code' to be revealed. The site will also contain a blog where day to day news on the project will be shared.

The filmmakers are looking for any interested parties to contact them about potential roles in helping produce the film.  They want to offer the opportunity for fans of the band and music to be involved in the film making process so that there is a unified vision and respect for the subject matter. Please contact [email protected] with questions.

IQ will also be collaborating with the filmmakers in the post production process creating the score for the movie. There will be an infusion of existing themes from the album with brand new material to accompany the film.

A message from the film's writer/director.

“As a huge fan of IQ, I am honored and thrilled to be working on this project in collaboration with the band. I want to make sure the IQ community is as excited about the film as I am. Our film making team and I hope that our enthusiasm and vision for the film will bring to life the already stimulating and poignant images the music has created in all of our minds and hearts as fans. We look forward to bringing you more updates and for your help in the long road of movie making ahead.

Sincerely,

Mathew Miller”

---------------

This sounds like the kind of thing that gets canned a year in, or ends up terribly anyway. I'm still hoping for the inevitable release of a good movie.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 02:07
Wow that is some news. I saw IQ do the whole thing about 12 years agao at the now defunct Astoria. Nowadays I don't listen to it all that much. I remember Martin Orford explaining the whole concept online and its quite dark, dealing with a covert government experiment. It doesn't end well for sure! Maybe Nicholls ,Holmes etc will get cameo roles??!
Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 07:27
Sounds interesting. Subterranea is a very intense album that could lead to some interesting visuals if handled properly.
"Es ist übrigens unmöglich, eine Meinung zu haben, ohne dass es unerfreuliche Überschneidungen gibt. Die Grünen sind für den deutschen Wald, die NPD ebenfalls."

ScorchedFirth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 08:55
I really liked Subterranea. Usually I think the transition from concept album to film is pretty tough, but I think this could possibly work.
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 12:53
To say the truth, I've never "checked" IQ even if I heard about them since the mid-90's, but such a surprising project gives me the feeling that I really should listen to them.
I don't expect something like 'Tommy - the movie' or 'The Wall', but it's interesting to see filmmakers turning to music for inspiration rather than comic books.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 14:08
Great news, I re-discovered this album some weeks ago and I still like it very much.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Flucktrot View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2012 at 16:21
Hey, at this point, as long as it's not another super hero movie, I'm in!

I have to say that I've never gotten much into Subterranea, although maybe I'll have to revisit.
Thank you, God of Rock, for this chance to kick ass
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 06:48
Ok, this is pretty damn cool.  Kudos to all involved.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 23:58
Subterranea was already inspired on this film The Enigma Of Kaspar Hauser, so we could say that this will be a remake.

Compare the plot in Wiki with this one of Subterranea allegedly by Martin Orford:

"The story of the album is about a man who has been confined for an experiment and has therefore been isolated from our society-he gets his food provided but has no contact with the outside world ("Provider"). At a certain point in time he is released by his capturer and emerges in our society where he experiences things...for the first time ("Subterranea"). After some hard times among the homeless ("Sleeping Incedental") he is taken in by a religious cult but refuses to be converted by them ("Failsafe"). He meets a girl...who gives him a name. He has a deep friendship/romance with this person ("Speak My Name") but in the end she is taken away from him ("Tunnel Vision"). Then he notices he is being followed by henchmen from the man who had held him prisoner for all those years. He captures one of them and forces him to reveal the name of the man responsible for his misery (Mockenrue) and then kills his follower ("Infernal Chorus")..."State Of Mind" is supposed to represent the protagonist on the run, and during the second disc he tries to find this Mockenrue and take revenge. Along the way he realises that life on the outside world is much harder than his earlier,controlled life ("Unsolid Ground"). At a certain point he takes on a disguise to be able to find out what's happening ("Capricorn") then he notices that he's not the only one with this experience,he sees other people who show the same marks/symbol he's been tagged with-seemingly there are more subjects for Mockenrue's experiment ("Somewhere In Time"). The mark is the IQ logo which can be found in various places in the cd booklet. Mockenrue's victims decide to team up and take revenge ("High Waters").The group ends up in a large building to which Mockenrue sets fire ("The Narrow Margin"). In the end the protagonist manages to get out of there alive (the only one) and realises he is a menace to himself and society and decides to go back into his confinement."

Edited by Gerinski - July 29 2012 at 02:33
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 02:20
^ no not really a remake as you claim. In fact most of the detail is different. Confinement and then dealing with the outside world is a constant reoccuring theme both in fiction writing and fact (prisoners who have spent most of their time since a young age in detention might be an example).
Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 06:11
Only because of this I gave the album a new chance, but I can't help it, it's just too boring :(
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 10:45
I haven't heard Subterranea (I have almost all of IQ's discography on order including the special 4-CD collector's edition of The Wake Cool), but this is going to be one of the first albums I'm going to listen to of theirs as I heard bits and pieces of it years ago and liked what I heard.

The idea that this concept is going to be adapted to film sounds interesting.

Edited by Mirror Image - July 20 2012 at 10:45
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 12:13
Big question is whether they're going to go the musical route and try to set the action to the album as much as possible, or whether they're just going to adapt the story from the album (perhaps using instrumental versions of some parts for the soundtrack).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 11:16
Its probably worth mentioning that IQ did film some footage (with Pete Nicholls in it) which was shown during the opening section on the live shows.Must dig out the live DVD sometime and have another look.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2012 at 20:59
Wow...thats pretty awesome. Hopefully it won't suck. Thumbs Up
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Provider View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 01:18
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Big question is whether they're going to go the musical route and try to set the action to the album as much as possible, or whether they're just going to adapt the story from the album (perhaps using instrumental versions of some parts for the soundtrack).

It's adapted, not a musical. The band's doing a new score based on the album.

Edited by Provider - July 29 2012 at 01:20
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 11:04
Provider, do you have inside info, or are you just a fan?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2012 at 13:03
IQ will also be collaborating with the filmmakers in the post production process creating the score for the movie. There will be an infusion of existing themes from the album with brand new material to accompany the film
Provider View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2012 at 15:25
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

IQ will also be collaborating with the filmmakers in the post production process creating the score for the movie. There will be an infusion of existing themes from the album with brand new material to accompany the film

Exactly this.

I am working on the project, although I don't think I have any information that hasn't yet been posted anywhere (or at least, no interesting information ... not that I could post it if I did). Fundraising starts tonight, though, so hopefully that goes well! 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2012 at 15:36
^Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>