Topic ClosedYes, at Westbury, New York, July 14th, 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes, at Westbury, New York, July 14th, 2012
    Posted: July 15 2012 at 23:06

I've never taken the time to write a detailed review of a live show, but in light of some uncertainty on the part of Yes fans due to recent, and somewhat uncomfortable personnel shifts in the band, I found this particular performance a good candidate for some detailed consideration.

Having seen the last lineup with Oliver Wakeman and Benoit David a number of times, my overall impression of those shows was something along the lines of: Oliver Wakeman was a session player - he played all of the keyboard parts accurately enough, but lacked any passion, and didn't add anything to the chemistry of the band. Perhaps that was all they wanted or expected of him - maybe he was just a hired gun who didn't have anything "Yes" to say musically. Benoit David was making his mark for a while. His first performances with Yes showcased his vocal skills on some of Yes' most challenging material. But, over time, apparently he lost the stamina to keep up with a rigorous touring schedule. Despite his meaningful contributions to some songs on Yes' latest studio release, Fly From Here, the band appeared to be precariously walking on ice during their last tour.

Without personally knowing the band, and having only media reports to rely on, Yes seemed to struggle for a bit, and the unceremonious firing of Oliver Wakeman appeared to be a rude surprise. Reports from Benoit David that he discovered he was replaced by Jon Davison came off as even more callous. My overall impression was that Squire, Howe and White saw a short window of opportunity to capitalize on financially lucrative touring, and so ruthlessly rushed to form a lineup that would enable their strategy.

So, it was not without some baggage and reluctance that I took attendance in Westbury last night to see this latest iteration of Yes. Some preliminary reports from attendees of the first few shows on this tour held some promise, and knowing a little about the set list changes, I had just a bit of optimism.

I cringed, at first, when I learned that their opening numbers included Yours is No Disgrace and Tempus Fugit. Not because I don't love these songs, quite to the contrary, I love them so much that I couldn't stand watching the band trudge through them at painfully slow tempos, as they did during the last few shows.

Much to my pleasant surprise, these songs were performed with gusto and aplomb. Howe wows with his wha guitar workouts on the opening number, and Tempus Fugit did not belie the Latin meaning of its moniker, with the instrumental portion of the Drama lineup intact tearing through this energetically-paced song.

I've Seen All Good People evoked an affectionate nostalgia from the crowd. Davison, with tambourine in-hand, also brought to mind visions of a young Jon Anderson, with his long hair, and somewhat retro bell-bottom look, convincingly portraying an early folk-influenced Yes. Of course, this aspect may seem shallow, but one cannot help but to sense some rejuvenation - that this singer was more than merely capable, but a good fit in a broader sense. Three songs in, and three standing ovations, we're 3-for-3, and the night is going quite well.

The inclusion of America in the setlist  was a pleasant surprise for many, and it was performed with fantastic energy. I won't go into great detail on this, as I know and love the original too much to favor this version, but it's a rendition that many Yes fans love.

Now we get to the risky part of the set, with the Fly From Here suite performed in its entirety. Can you follow such classic material with something so new without it making apparent whatever the band might have lost from their 70's peak? To me, not at all - hearing it in this context told me the most important thing that I learned from this show: this is a band that still has a lot to say musically. I searched for hints of Drama, but where Drama was a new-wave departure for the group in its time, Fly From Here may be much more like a natural progression from Going For the One, with just enough of Downe's quirky pop sensibilities effectively blended with the band's established style. Perhaps this is what Yes would have sounded like post-Tormato without the affectation and deliberate efforts to modernize that they, and so many other artists, fell victim to in the eighties.

Howe's acoustic solos are always entertaining, and usually in a "dear God, how many decades does one have to practice to play like that?" sort of way. But this time, he played his more contemplative "Sketches in the Sun", a piece centered around a pastoral melody played over a simple dropped-D continuo. This piece sounds the way Yes covers look - like something from a floral landscape speckled with dream-like colors. Followed by a quick rendition of The Clap, perhaps just to make sure that everyone had not been lulled into a trance, it was a short, tasteful, and entertaining interlude by Howe.

Wondrous Stories was a welcome addition. Here is where I appreciated for the first time Geoff Downe's genuine affection for Rick Wakeman's playing, as his interpretation was faithful to Wakeman's sounds and arrangement, which would also be evident later in the set.

Into the Storm is noteworthy for several reasons. It was the first time this song was included in the setlist for this tour, so no spoilers could have prepared us for it. Howe's pedal steel playing explored some new sounds that I have never heard from Howe, at times evoking a haunting sound not unlike a theremin. More importantly, the band connected with each other as they explored some improvisation, showing once again: this is a band that has something to say musically. Perhaps just as important, is that they have something new to say musically that does not discount nor simply repeat what they have had to say before..

Heart of the Sunrise was naturally a hit, and other than the fact that it was performed with the gusto of a much younger group, it needs no special note. But, it was the evening's performance of Awaken that marked the high-point of the night. Downes performed Wakeman's masterful piano and pipe organ arrangements with deft skill and appreciation for its composers intentions - it was easy to tell that Downes must have been a big fan of this piece, as so many keyboard players are, but few qualified to present it so well. The performance was, in a word, passionate, and that plainly resonated with the crowd, earning the most enthusiastic ovation of the night. The last time I saw Yes connect with an audience on that level was at their 35th anniversary performance of And You and I at Madison Square Garden, where Jon Anderson could not even be heard singing the final outtro over the roaring crowd.

Roundabout did not disappoint as the de-rigeur encore. No slouching tempos here, nor any sign of a band tiring of playing its best-known song, as may have been the case during the last few tours with Anderson and Wakeman, where they opted for a swinging acoustic rendition, not unlike Clapton's unfortunately unplugged reinvention of Layla.

So, it was not a flawless performance by any means, but it would be a shame to go in to such a show expecting it to be, as the essence of what makes music good was all there. There were certainly no signs of a very under-rehearsed band. It now appears that there is a genuine artistic motivation for Yes to fight to continue, and this fan is certainly thrilled that they have persevered. I cannot stress enough, the most important element, in my opinion, is that this is a band that still has a lot to say musically. The only thing you need to decide for yourself is, do you want to hear it?

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2012 at 23:50
^Thank you for your heartfelt, sensitive and very comprehensive review of the show!  Yes may yet have enough fuel in the tank for one more studio CD!  

I'd wonder about the future of vocals, as Jon Davison is returning to Glass Hammer when they will tour with the new GH concept CD "Perilous."   It might be an opportunity for Yes to do something brilliant, such as recruit a woman with a stunning voice!  I think of Annie Haslam's treatment of "Turn of the Century"....
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 13:51
Thanks for the kind words about the review!

Who knows what will happen next, though I would like to think that the most likely scenario would be a studio album with Jon Anderson. Maybe Davison will remain for a while - I'm sure that Glass Hammer's schedule won't be more rigorous than Asia's, and two members of Yes are able to multitask with that band as well...
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 15:43
Although my views on the Yes "soap opera" are well known, I have to say that this is an excellent, heartfelt, and educational review. Thanks a lot for thisClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 18:47
I haven't yet bought my tickets for next month... but it seems I must not miss this show. If only for Awaken. I love that song (if only they would play Gates of Delirium too!!!).
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 19:08
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I haven't yet bought my tickets for next month... but it seems I must not miss this show. If only for Awaken. I love that song (if only they would play Gates of Delirium too!!!).

Gates is the top song on my Yes set-list-wishlist! That was very much an Anderson creation, at least in initial concept, so I wonder if they might save it for a reunion with Jon. I am always disappointed when they only do "Soon"...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 19:44
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Gates is the top song on my Yes set-list-wishlist! That was very much an Anderson creation, at least in initial concept, so I wonder if they might save it for a reunion with Jon. I am always disappointed when they only do "Soon"...

I don't think I'd hold out high hopes of a Jon Anderson/Yes reunion, based upon my read of his comments made during his "Music of Yes" solo performance in Chicagoland some months back. 

He did laugh and tell quite a few funny stories that included Chris Squire, but when he tuned up his acoustic and an audience member yelled "Steve Howe!" in jest, Jon's face went....dark.  

I've never seen such a look on Jon's face before...maybe Howe is the "fly in the Yes ointment," not Squire, as many have surmised over the years. 

That sort of flies in the face of the ABWH project!!  Yes is as complex as any family....

Anyway, I think Jon is quite happy to maintain his low-key schedule and recording work with Wakeman.  He is supposed to have some surprises up his sleeve in terms of new material, we'll just have to wait.  

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2012 at 21:19
I read your review in full and I thank you.  Excellent.

Regarding Yes.  Here is my opinion of them as a man under 30 who has played with a few bands:

They are old.  They have a history.  They have disagreements.  They have money issues.  They have desires to perform.  They have members with health issues.  They have members with egos.  They have rabid fans wanting more.  They have rabid fans wanting them to retire.  They have Squire.

None of these in and of themselves are bad things.  But when you put all of it together, it can weigh on a unit.  Yes is one of my favorite bands and has been for some time.  Whatever they do now will not diminish from past laurels.  I don't know these men personally, and I don't know their situations.

Do we lose our wits about plumbers in the same scenario?  Yes is a business as much as it is a band.  Hopefully they will work it out and do great things still.  But if they don't, they have done "wonderous" things with "toilet" so to speak.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 07:00
excellent review John!  You really should write more!  Perhaps your own blog!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 19:20
I just got my tickets. I'll be there in just over 20 days
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2012 at 19:35
I just read in a site that suposedly (and read all before anyone gets excited) Annie Haslam attended one of Yes's shows... I understand it was just as part of the audience, because there's no mention of her performing anything with them (on 22 July).
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2012 at 13:22
This is a nice audio clip (no video) from that performance.   I can't say I am all that impressed with Geoff Downes, and I wish they had kept Ollie Wakeman on board for continuity with the prior generation.   Oh well, Yes never DO listen to my suggestions!  

However, Jon Davison smokes Benoit David!  Pity that he won't be with Yes on a permanent basis, as he'll be rejoining Glass Hammer when they tour to support the upcoming CD "Perilous."   Maybe Annie Haslam will get a shot at the vocalist slot?

Enjoy, I think Davison's voice is absolutely angelic in this clip!  Part 2 is also on YouTube.  

Edited by cstack3 - July 31 2012 at 13:27
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2012 at 18:57
Yeah, knowing that they would play Awaken was one of the facts that helped me decide to attend this concert (as a matter of fact, it almost made me need to got to it)... plus of course the positive review on this thread, and a pair of videow you posted, in which Davison sounded really great. However, as a matter of fact, I didn't like him so much on this one, sort of too weak, I guess. Perhaps I shouldn't expect to hear Anderson in it, but it's difficult not to remember his excellent performance on this song.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 00:40

Yeah, knowing that they would play Awaken was one of the facts that helped me decide to attend this concert (as a matter of fact, it almost made me need to got to it)... plus of course the positive review on this thread, and a pair of videow you posted, in which Davison sounded really great. However, as a matter of fact, I didn't like him so much on this one, sort of too weak, I guess. Perhaps I shouldn't expect to hear Anderson in it, but it's difficult not to remember his excellent performance on this song.

I saw Yes play "Awaken" on the first GFTO tour, it was unreal!  Howe used a Rickenbacker 12-string and Squire played that 3-necked monster of his!!   

Then, I saw them play it on the "Union" tour, with Howe playing a Steinberger 12-string!  The big "Yes In The Round" stage was really crowded - Wakeman and Kaye, Rabin and Howe, Bruford and White, but only one Anderson and Squire of course!!  

I believe I saw them play it on their 35th Anniversary tour as well, it all blurs together. 

Davison's voice fits quite well, I like him better than Benoit David.  I don't know what they will do when Davison moves along with Glass Hammer, but I'd enjoy having them bring Annie Haslam in!  Her "Turn of the Century" performance is remarkable!  

Sounds like we enjoy the same slices of Yes, my friend!  
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2012 at 19:09
Indeed, I hope seeing them live will give more "life" to the song. I wish I had seen/heard it live with Anderson himself... but I was a bit too late. If I had got into them one or two years earlier, Imight have ended up going to the 35th anniversary tour. However, having heard (I think) all the "official" live version (plus the studio one), the one I like the most is, easily, the Keys to Ascension one. Though as a matter of fact the 35th anniversary one was almost as good (I think the vocals do sound a bit "older"), and the Unios one is really good too, with some added cool sounds and instruments, but the sound quality was a bit bad, and perhaps some of those added instruments were just a bit too much. And ideed, I wish Annie Haslam would end up joining Yes for a little while... she would indeed be a peer to Anderson, no step down on quality at all, but somehow I feel that's just wishful thinking, and extremely unlikely. However, you were right when you were thinking about Jon Davison as a possible replacement... so we might just as well keep our hopes up, just in case. May your wishes be profetic once again.
Gooner View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 21:13
"Awaken" played at Pine Knob in Michigan was probably the best version I've heard of it live.  Davison was just great!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2012 at 11:31
I hope you are right. By the way, I just read some fragments of interviews with members of Yes, and it seems Squire is optimistic about the posibility of Davison staying with Yes, and recording a new album on 2013. A good sign about this is that Squire likes the fact that Davison is also a song writer, as oposed to Benoit, which means that he would give him space to contribute... and indeed I believe Yes could use the extra inspiration in writing songs. However, Howe doesn't seem so optimistic, and feels that doing a new album so soon would just rush things and end up being not as good as it could have been.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 21:31
OK. I at last I got to see the newest Yes line-up. Of course, the show was great, though I'm afraid most of the set didn't inlcude my favourite songs, but it did include Awaken, which was the main reasong I wanted to see the show (plus, the Fly from Here songs were very enjoyable for me). Still, I feel they have played better... sometimes I felt Howe wasn't playing as fluidly as he could (but when he got on fire, he could rock big time), and Alan, well, I could barely notice him. Also, I'm not so sure I really liked Davison's singing better than Benoit's (though he certainly had more personality and a better stage presence). And also I feel Oliver could have done a better job on Awaken than Downes did (though I do feel that Geoff is a better showman than Oliver).
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 21:46

I just saw Yes (and Procol Harum-very good) within the past month and was pleasantly surprised with singer Jon Davison, who I later found out sang on the last couple of Glass Hammer albums.  He sang effortlessly and sounded on par if not better than Anderson.  I am not one who views Yes as "not" Yes without Anderson.,p>

The Fly From Here suite was excellent as they nailed it and I knew the material before hand and do like it.  Awaken blew me away as that was the last song before the encore of Roundabout.  Howe seemed to be "on" that night and enjoyed himself.  Downes was awesome IMHO.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2012 at 03:11
Excellent review, thanks for posting it.
Nice set list with the inclusion of songs like Tempus Fugit (I would have preferred Machine Messiah but OK...), America, Wonderous Stories or Heart Of The Sunrise.

My biggest surprise is the praises for Downes, I have not seen him live with this Yes line-up yet but I have with Asia and I was not too excited with his playing.

I like Davison too, better than Benoit David.

Alan White always plays good but is IMHO the one who seems to miss the spark already for a few years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>