0 [0.00%]
1 [2.27%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 04:02
I liked the Neverending Story too, though the rather similar, but darker The Dark Crystal had more of an impact on me.  When it comes to Wolfgang Peterson films, I'm more of a Das Boot kind of guy, which was the first subtitled film I can remember watching in the theater.

Edited by Logan - July 21 2012 at 04:06
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 04:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I liked the Neverending Story too, though the rather similar, but darker The Dark Crystal had more of an impact on me.  When it comes to Wolfgang Peterson films, I'm more of a Das Boot kind of guy, which was the first subtitled film I can remember watching in the theater.

Neverending Story vs Das Boot, great contrast there - but then, most good directors can safely handle different genres, huh?  

I agree, The Dark Crystal I remember with fondness too, also finding it dark. Very dark, but great because of it, not really pulling any punches. The Skeksis were scary, but triumphs in puppetry huh? Frank and Jim, awesome
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 12:57
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Neverending Story vs Das Boot, great contrast there - but then, most good directors can safely handle different genres, huh?  

I agree, The Dark Crystal I remember with fondness too, also finding it dark. Very dark, but great because of it, not really pulling any punches. The Skeksis were scary, but triumphs in puppetry huh? Frank and Jim, awesome

And what do you guys think of Labyrinth? Personally, I loved that film when I was a kid. But recently I watched it again and I found Bowie's acting sometimes irritating. Still a great movie, though.

Concerning 80's adventure/fantasy films, I've been meaning to watch Ridley Scott's Legend, starring Tom Cruise. Is it any good as these films or not? 
Adams Bolero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 13:36
It's not on the list but my all time favourite 80s film is Wings of Desire.
''Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.''

- Albert Camus
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 13:40
I never could stand ET
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 14:01

Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

I was expecting to see some loathing for Steven Spielberg's films. I'm glad I was wrong. ET with 2 votes and Raiders with one vote and three mentions.

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I never could stand ET

There we go LOL 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 15:27

The Dark Crystal I found really moving -- the way that the Skeksis were the dark half of the Mystics and combined, though I've seen that done in other things was touching.  I showed that to my daughter when she was three, and perhaps it was  a bit scary for her at the time.  When it comes to film, including family ones, I've always been attracted to ones that are quite dark, and often mysterious.  I prefer films such as Spirited Away to films like Aladdin, and when it comes to comedy, i tend to like black comedy.

As for Wolfgand Petersen, yeah he's a versatile director.  Films he's directed are a bit hit and miss for me, so I've never really put him in my pantheon of greats (some other directors of films on display in this poll do make make my great list, including the adult-oriented and my fellow Canadian Cronenberg -- though my favourite directed film of his was definitely Dead Ringers which he partially adapted from a novel unlike some of his original screenplays that he directed.  I just thought of another 80s family oriented fantasy film I loved, Time Bandits.  An 80s family film poll alone would be great.

Originally posted by Adams Bolero Adams Bolero wrote:

That's one of mine too.  I almost mentioned that because we have another Wim Wenders film on the list (which I voted for, Paris, Texas). 

Sorry for the personal anecdote, but I once wrote a screenplay partially inspired by that (the female character was based on the leading lady in that), and actually got the chance to pitch it to Francis Ford Coppola, but failed miserably -- nerves overtook me.  At one time in my deluded youth I was an aspiring playwright, screenplay, and teleplay writer, but I grew up to write nonsense posts at PA instead.  And oddly, though the 90s to early 200os I was really arthouse cinema oriented, but I devolved somewhat more to the type of fare that appealed most to me in my childhood (sci-fi and stuff).  I kind of lost  a lot of passion for film when I was in film studies, and now rarely watch any flicks.
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
wilmon91 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 17:28

Yeah! Altered States!

Blade Runner is great too.
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:30

And what do you guys think of Labyrinth? Personally, I loved that film when I was a kid. But recently I watched it again and I found Bowie's acting sometimes irritating. Still a great movie, though.

Concerning 80's adventure/fantasy films, I've been meaning to watch Ridley Scott's Legend, starring Tom Cruise. Is it any good as these films or not? 

Legend is a hard one to judge. I can see why someone might love it. I can see why someone might hate it. It's very atmospheric but not what you might call moody. Its a fairy tale and has a clear fairy tale vibe. Darker and more serious than Labyrinth but not as dark or serious as Pans Labyrinth.  I personally like it a lot. Any fantasy fan should watch it. Anyone at prog archives should watch it (cept those few that don't like TD or J. Anderson).

Btw I'm a huge Dark Crystal fan.

This space intentionally left blank

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2012 at 23:33

I watched it again recently, and I still love it. Sure, the songs are kind of bad and the acting is hammy, but it's a fun, creative movie with a huge nostalgia factor for me.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 13:27
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

I watched it again recently, and I still love it. Sure, the songs are kind of bad and the acting is hammy, but it's a fun, creative movie with a huge nostalgia factor for me.

I enjoyed Labyrinth when I saw it as a teenager, but didn't love it.  It didn't make a big impression on me.  I've only caught some of it subsequently on TV.  There are other films with Bowie that I enjoyed much more.  As for Legend, I have seen it on TV, not for many years), but it didn't resonate with me at the time, nor have I found it that memorable.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 14:02

I was expecting to see some loathing for Steven Spielberg's films. I'm glad I was wrong. ET with 2 votes and Raiders with one vote and three mentions.

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I never could stand ET

There we go LOL 

Can't stand it either. I would love to watch a movie with ET and the Thing in it, resulting in some more bloodshedEvil Smile
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 14:04
ET could prbably (most logicaly) knips with its finger and make the Thing dissapear without a scratch,, im rooting for ET in that battle even if the Thing probably is more frighting looking and fear indusing, i think ET have more power and could easly (like i said) with a flick of the finger make the Thing evaporate on the blink of an eye.

Edited by aginor - July 22 2012 at 14:05
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 14:07
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

ET could prbably (most logicaly) knips with its finger and make the Thing dissapear without a scratch,, im rooting for ET in that battle even if the Thing probably is more frighting looking and fear indusing, i think ET have more power and could easly (like i said) with a flick of the finger make the Thing evaporate on the blink of an eye.

Not if I directed it myself.

Edited by Bj-1 - July 22 2012 at 14:08
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2012 at 14:10
Blade Runner for me.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 05:27

I think Bowie did a fairly good job, not great, but I know what you mean. I do like it, even with the songs Wink Another memorable film. I remember being mezmerised by the crystal ball!
I've also not seen 'Legend' though I once owned it, sold it for some reason. Tom Cruise, maybe? Will view it one day I think
JazzMusicArchives.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2012 at 05:48

The Dark Crystal I found really moving -- the way that the Skeksis were the dark half of the Mystics and combined, though I've seen that done in other things was touching.  I showed that to my daughter when she was three, and perhaps it was  a bit scary for her at the time.  When it comes to film, including family ones, I've always been attracted to ones that are quite dark, and often mysterious.  I prefer films such as Spirited Away to films like Aladdin, and when it comes to comedy, i tend to like black comedy.

As for Wolfgand Petersen, yeah he's a versatile director.  Films he's directed are a bit hit and miss for me, so I've never really put him in my pantheon of greats (some other directors of films on display in this poll do make make my great list, including the adult-oriented and my fellow Canadian Cronenberg -- though my favourite directed film of his was definitely Dead Ringers which he partially adapted from a novel unlike some of his original screenplays that he directed.  I just thought of another 80s family oriented fantasy film I loved, Time Bandits.  An 80s family film poll alone would be great.

Yes, I thought so too, a nice touch and handled well. Nice to see the calm, implacable manner with which the Mystics re-joined with them too.  That does sound young, does she love it now though?  Though I also like Aladdin (amusing songs) I also prefer something like the masterful Spirited Away. Love that film.

I brought 'Time Bandits' a few months ago and have to watch it, it's been on the pile of films to watch for a while. You a fan of the 'Fletch' films, at all? (not family of course, but 80s at least!)

Originally posted by Adams Bolero Adams Bolero wrote:

That's one of mine too.  I almost mentioned that because we have another Wim Wenders film on the list (which I voted for, Paris, Texas). 

Sorry for the personal anecdote, but I once wrote a screenplay partially inspired by that (the female character was based on the leading lady in that), and actually got the chance to pitch it to Francis Ford Coppola, but failed miserably -- nerves overtook me.  At one time in my deluded youth I was an aspiring playwright, screenplay, and teleplay writer, but I grew up to write nonsense posts at PA instead.  And oddly, though the 90s to early 200os I was really arthouse cinema oriented, but I devolved somewhat more to the type of fare that appealed most to me in my childhood (sci-fi and stuff).  I kind of lost  a lot of passion for film when I was in film studies, and now rarely watch any flicks.

Wow, that's amazing - can you tell us anything else about the pitch? That would have been nerve-wracking indeed.
JazzMusicArchives.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 03:57
no love for the Rumble Fish, it is one of my favourites, very interesting colourwork, and also Dick Tracy is a cult favourite and one of a kind movie
MonsterMagnet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 05:13
The Thing and Full Metal Jacket are pretty cool Smile however I'm far to have seen all this films Ermm
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 23:52
Blade Runner
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>