Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed40th Anniversary of Bill Bruford leaving Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 01:24
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

He moved to a better band, for him and in general. I think that's pretty smart. 

From a band who could compose to a band who couldn't really compose. Not better for me Smile

Clap Approve here is someone who gets it dr prog you are CoolClap

I played larks album recently and just didn't enjoy it much. The album has major holes I reckon. There's no kick ass compositions such as gentle giants playing the game or the runaway. Brilliant tracks. I only like wettons voice in the slow tracks. His voice sucks in easy money a bit
I have always been a bit mystified by the love Larks' Tongues gets around here. Don't get me wrong, it has it's moments and I am a big KC fan in general, but compared to their other works it has always struck me as a bit lackluster. The only track on it I really love is The Talking Drum.

I like starless album less than larks. Red is a more consistent album than larks and starless but even that isn't great to me. Poseidon is my style. Melodic with more keys and swing. Lake, sinfeild, McDonald and Giles brought a lot more composition to the band. It's a pity those guys didn't hang around for another few years to at least 1973. Or even through most of the 70s

Edited by dr prog - February 12 2013 at 01:26
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 05:47
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

For me both bands benefited.
I'm inclined to say King Crimson benefited more than Yes, but it didn't really hurt Yes any. Bruford's work in Yes was great but the way I see it they had three solid, classic albums before Bill left (The Yes Album, Fragile and CTTE) and three equally good ones after (TfTO, Relayer and GFTO), so they were able to keep up their momentum just fine, whilst King Crimson had released one classic album (the debut) and a set of followups which had never quite manage to hit the high standards previously set.

There's good tracks on all the KC albums from In the Wake of Poseidon to Islands but all three of those albums have consistency issues, partly because of their nightmarish lineup problems the band had - until Wetton and Bruford came on board Fripp basically never knew who he'd be recording the next KC album with! Then along comes Bruford and you have their classic mid-1970s era and their brilliant re-emergence in the 1980s. Fripp's a great guitarist and has a really sharp understanding of music as a whole, but in a band context (as opposed to solo multi-instrumentalist stuff and the like) you can't pull out your best work unless you have solid collaborators pulling their weight alongside you, so Bruford joining KC was an absolute godsend.

Edited by Warthur - February 12 2013 at 05:51
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 18:15

From a band who could compose to a band who couldn't really compose. Not better for me Smile

I played larks album recently and just didn't enjoy it much. The album has major holes I reckon. There's no kick ass compositions such as gentle giants playing the game or the runaway. Brilliant tracks. I only like wettons voice in the slow tracks. His voice sucks in easy money a bit

That's like my favorite KC song. 
Ouch

Sorry but Easy Money is a weak track to consider as your fave from the band how about Exiles or Starless?
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 18:18

I have always been a bit mystified by the love Larks' Tongues gets around here. Don't get me wrong, it has it's moments and I am a big KC fan in general, but compared to their other works it has always struck me as a bit lackluster. The only track on it I really love is The Talking Drum.

Shocked  It's their best album, period!!! and the Talking Drum is f***** weak compared to just about everything else on that album

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - February 12 2013 at 18:18
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2013 at 18:19

I like starless album less than larks. Red is a more consistent album than larks and starless but even that isn't great to me. Poseidon is my style. Melodic with more keys and swing. Lake, sinfeild, McDonald and Giles brought a lot more composition to the band. It's a pity those guys didn't hang around for another few years to at least 1973. Or even through most of the 70s

Here is one man who gets it ApproveSmileCool   except I think that Larks Tongues is their best album

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - February 12 2013 at 18:20
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 06:46

Ouch

Sorry but Easy Money is a weak track to consider as your fave from the band how about Exiles or Starless?
That's just your opinion. If it's his favourite track then it's not weak for him. For what it's worth I also think Easy Money is great.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2013 at 15:25
Not sure why we are celebrating this as an anniversary lol. Crimson we're at their best in 1970 and 71 and Yes we're at their best from 1969-1972. Crimson changed their lineup every year. Would have been hard to really be a fan of a band who replaces 80% of their members 3 times in 3 years. Different bands different music. Not always good. I would have loved to hear lake on lizard. Happy family and indoor games would have sounded a lot better. The music may have even better with Giles and McDonald on board but McCullough and Collins are great too

Edited by dr prog - February 13 2013 at 15:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 02:32
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Ouch

That's just your opinion. If it's his favourite track then it's not weak for him. For what it's worth I also think Easy Money is great.

Sleepy

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - February 14 2013 at 02:32
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Erikdavid5000 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 18:01
I'm glad Bruford left yes.... I LOVE his playing.......ON Fragile/Close To The Edge.... Those two albums are pretty much what his reputation is based upon and he has been nothing but ungrateful. Sure, he's on some great KC albums but nothing about his drumming stands out in the way it did on those two classic Yes albums. He was wrong in that Yes was going to repeat themselves forever and ever. Relayer is the all out peak of Progressive rock and I wouldn't have wanted him on that album. Relayer needed a talented basher and got it in spades in Alan White. Chris and Alan became an absolute monster of a rhythm section. Bruford played up front and showed off. That was/is his style. It was great for two albums, but he's failed to live up to his own ego in every way, and when he came back and played in ABWH, he was boring and lifeless on the album and he played the old songs as lazily as possible on the tour. Good riddance..... Besides, any drummer knows, all you have to do it figure out his little drumming tricks and he's very easy to imitate. It's just a guy pouring over his rudiment books and trying to impress everyone that he learned them.... Don't sell Alan White short. I was in a band that covered Awaken and I went in as a Bruford worshiper thinking it was going to be easy and I was dead wrong. It takes the perfect balance of strength and finesse to pull those parts off.

Edited by Erikdavid5000 - June 18 2013 at 18:02
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 22:10
i loved bruford in both bands, but i gotta say, relayer is my favorite album between both bands.  i wonder what the album would be like with him.
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 00:39
Originally posted by Fox On The Rocks Fox On The Rocks wrote:

Smartest decision he made.

Approve Austin, I totally agree. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Yes, but it always seemed Bruford was held back in Yes, not to mention him and Squire never got along. In fact, I heard somewhere they borderline got into a fistfight on stage over some disagreement. Squire's a bit of hothead though, that's not really a surprise. In King Crimson though, that's where Bruford really let loose and showed off his unique style and approach. The partnership between Bill and David Muir on Larks' is extraordinary. Larks' to Three Of A Perfect Pair - inspiration drum records.

As I recall, Bill said that "you could never play any wrong notes in Yes," and he wanted to play some wrong notes.  

I'm fine with White's drumming on Tales and Relayer, really....Bill would have given them a different feel, but I consider them masterpieces as they are.  So, I consider Bill's leaving a gift. 

I met him in a record shop with Belew once, Bill was something of a wise-guy, in a very nice way!  

Edited by cstack3 - June 19 2013 at 00:40
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 01:15
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

As I recall, Bill said that "you could never play any wrong notes in Yes," and he wanted to play some wrong notes.  
I'm fine with White's drumming on Tales and Relayer, really....Bill would have given them a different feel, but I consider them masterpieces as they are.  So, I consider Bill's leaving a gift. 
I met him in a record shop with Belew once, Bill was something of a wise-guy, in a very nice way!  

I, too, am glad Bill departed Yes, because King Crimson fit him like a glove. And I like Alan White's power drumming in Yes. I think it worked out for both bands, and "I like what I hear."
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 17:23

That works for me.....it would have been interesting to see what Lake, McDonald, and Giles could have done with Fripp  for a few more years.
Red is my favorite, then Larks, then Starless....of that period.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456