Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnthony Phillips Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 16:37
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

[QUOTE=Mirror Image]

It's definitely a one-of-a-kind album from Anthony. The only thing similar with that album and his others, is his unique guitar-playing. But a great place to start. That's where I, and I'm sure MANY others started. Actually, I suppose Wise After The Event is similar in the aspect that there's lyrics.

Then if you like what you hear, perhaps head over to Slow Dance. Has that calm, relaxing feel while still being pure proggy bliss. Much like Geese

Cool, yeah, I've read many mentions of Slow Dance. I read it was really good. Thanks for your feedback.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:17
I'd also like to comment that Trespass is my number two favorite prog album of all-time.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:18
Originally posted by Master of Time Master of Time wrote:

I'd also like to comment that Trespass is my number two favorite prog album of all-time.

Big smile
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:19

Very nice choice! Stagnation goes down as one of my FAVORITE Genesis songs, and that's saying something.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:22
 The Geese and the Ghost  is one off  my ALL time fav albums in the top ten off all time fav,s for shore. also like to spin Sides ones in awhile to.  The Geese and the Ghost is a 5 star must have album.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:25
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

The Geese and the Ghost  is one off  my ALL time fav albums in the top ten off all time fav,s for shore. also like to spin Sides ones in awhile to.  The Geese and the Ghost is a 5 star must have album.

Can't stop watching your signature picture, it's hypnotizing how many amazing albums are in there Wacko
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:28
I actually thought this topic would easily die out fast, but it's definitely lasting longer than expected. Even if you don't know the Private Parts & Pieces, you can still have mad respect for Anthony just by The Geese & The Ghost. Everyone should own that album.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:41
The Geese and the Ghost is obviously boring for not having any metal tracks in it. However if one of the songs could be remade as metallic, which one? Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 25 2012 at 17:42
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 17:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

The Geese and the Ghost is obviously boring for not having any metal tracks in it. However if one of the songs could be remade as metallic, which one? Tongue

Henry already seems a bit metal when the war's going on (or at least I think it's a war, there's cannons!) but I'd like a metal duet of God If I Saw Her Now. I wanna hear some blood-curdling growls of "A CHILD, SIXTEEN WAS I!! BOTH VIRGINS DID WE BUY" Smile
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 19:36
The instrumental piece "Nightmare" from "Sides" has always been a favorite of mine. According to other's I have conversed with, the piece drags on and on. It's actually a side of Anthony Phillips' writng that sounds a bit like Steve Hackett. Michael Giles is the main feature of this piece for me. It's quite different from how he played with K.C...although you can easily identify his style, the playing itself had a different approach. The piece sets off such a strange vibe. I can visualize him at the top of a mountain, in front of a tower, playing "Nightmare" just before the storm.

Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 20:07
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

The instrumental piece "Nightmare" from "Sides" has always been a favorite of mine. According to other's I have conversed with, the piece drags on and on. It's actually a side of Anthony Phillips' writng that sounds a bit like Steve Hackett. Michael Giles is the main feature of this piece for me. It's quite different from how he played with K.C...although you can easily identify his style, the playing itself had a different approach. The piece sets off such a strange vibe. I can visualize him at the top of a mountain, in front of a tower, playing "Nightmare" just before the storm.

The drums definitely don't hide themselves Approve best song on Sides. The epic finisher. With Giles in the front row. Going along with the guitar, but not overpowering the track. Going to a rhythmic beat. Really has that EPIC feel. If anything, it's too short 
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 21:03
Hard to pick a favorite.  I love Geese.  I also love Wise After the Event, Tarka, 1984, Slow Dance.  Hell, I even like his "pop" albums, Sides and Invisible Men.  His first PP&P album is my favorite of that series, but II, 3, 4, 6 and 7 also deserve mention.  Haven't yet heard 9 or 10.  Embarrassed

I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 21:11
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Hard to pick a favorite.  I love Geese.  I also love Wise After the Event, Tarka, 1984, Slow Dance.  Hell, I even like his "pop" albums, Sides and Invisible Men.  His first PP&P album is my favorite of that series, but II, 3, 4, 6 and 7 also deserve mention.  Haven't yet heard 9 or 10.  Embarrassed

!! you should be embarrassed! Soiree continues where Ivory Tower left off (pretty much, I actually like Soiree better)! I never actually listened to Invisible Men, so I can't be the judge of that! But I'm sure I should since that's one of the FEW pop albums he ever did. Dragonfly Dreams is also great.
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2012 at 21:32
A great soundtrack composer and background wizard but thankfully he walked and Hackett came along. Love TG & TG best.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 18:08
I've been busy and havent seen this thread till now. Figures that I stay away a few days and interesting threads start up. I'm an Ant fan but exceptt for a few youtube sessions I only know his Genesis work. Tresspass is my fav Genesis album and between that and the compositions he worked on in Nursery Cryme I fell in love with 12 string guitar. Steve Hackett of course did a great job in the band but I am not really greatful for the replacement. I prefer the electric guitar work on Tresspass to later albums as well as the acoustic 12 string.

This space intentionally left blank

Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 02:58
Originally posted by Flyingsod Flyingsod wrote:

I've been busy and havent seen this thread till now. Figures that I stay away a few days and interesting threads start up. I'm an Ant fan but exceptt for a few youtube sessions I only know his Genesis work. Tresspass is my fav Genesis album and between that and the compositions he worked on in Nursery Cryme I fell in love with 12 string guitar. Steve Hackett of course did a great job in the band but I am not really greatful for the replacement. I prefer the electric guitar work on Tresspass to later albums as well as the acoustic 12 string.

I always wondered how Genesis would sound if Ant stayed... Anthony really showed what you could do with just a guitar or piano. That you could capture moods with different notes and tempos. I played the acoustic A LONG time ago and gave it up pretty quickly. I had no idea you could do all that, haha. So much of the Private Parts are fantastically good, his piano work on Soiree is definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for the post, it's always nice to see someone else who appreciates Ants' work! Smile
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 18:39
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Hmm.. long time since I last heard a complete Ant album... 
Me too.  Will have to give Ant his due!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 13:17
Hi,

There is not a whole lot more I can say about Anthony Phillips, that has not alreayd been said.

I wrote some poetry to one of his pieces, (Slow Dance), and he was polite and wonderful enough to allow me to use his music when the time came and we were able to put together the Ygdrasil Journal of Poetic Arts' very  first (and only) issue that was recorded ... as poetry needs to be, instead of read!

I have nothing but admiration for the three people that have allowed me over the years to use their music to illustrate some poetry. These three people are some of the nicest folks in the business and some of the most creative ... out there! Anthony Phillips is one and does not need the accolades in order to do his work and concentrate on his vision and music!

You can always tell the real artist ... he just lives on and on and on ... and does not need to advertise himself ... the work does it for him!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 17:27
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

Very nice choice! Stagnation goes down as one of my FAVORITE Genesis songs, and that's saying something.

In a way, Trespass is also my favourite album. Or at least, it is the one I enjoy most from beginning to end. All the songs are beautiful, and so, it doesn't have the obligatory annoying song that the other albums with Gabriel and Hackett have. In that way, Geese and the Ghost might also be better than the other great Genesis albums. However, both albums lack, as far as I'm concerned, the better than great songs that other albums have, such as Supper's Ready, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, Firth of Fifth, and Cinema Show (for me, The Knife would be the closest to this).
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2012 at 14:27
I started collecting Ant Phillips CD's as a sort of Genesis Collectionist hobby - never listed to any of them except 1984 and SIDE's just dug out Geese and the Ghost - I shall listen to that this weekend....
Sorted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>