Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnthony Phillips Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 09:09
My favorite Ant album might be Slow Dance, although maybe it is Sides after all (I still like the more commercial first half). Completing my top 3 is Ivory Moon. It took a while before I really liked that one, actually.

I also like Back To The Pavilion  and Tarka. There's my top 5, then.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 15:13
I listened to G & T G - very early genesis like starts with a put-off track with collins singing the best track is the last one (before the bonus) - Hackett's Voyage of the Acolyte is infinately better IMHO....
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 18:51
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

My favorite Ant album might be Slow Dance, although maybe it is Sides after all (I still like the more commercial first half). Completing my top 3 is Ivory Moon. It took a while before I really liked that one, actually.

Great picks!! Have you heard Soiree? It's much like Ivory Moon (only piano) but more entertaining. The moods Ant strikes are more powerful, more obvious, more lush. THAT is probably my #3 Ant album.

#1 is of course TG&tG while Slow Dance is probably #2.

I feel bad not mentioning Dragonfly Dreams and Wise After The Event, so maybe #4 and #5 right here.
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 19:25

I prefer the second half of Sides, but I do like the first side, especially Um & Argh.  That and Bleak House are probably my favorites from that album.  PP&P II is good, but I slightly prefer I as it seems to have more completed pieces.  Slow Dance is excellent as is 1984.  The double CD version of 1984 has some really cool bonus stuff on the second disc. 

My favs are probably TG&TG at the top (and I like Phil's vocal input on the two songs he sings-this was directed at another poster), with Slow Dance and Wise After the Event bringing up the two and three spots.  I should also mention that his pop album Invisible Men is pretty cool as well.  PP&P I, Sides and 1984 are the following three.
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 13:31
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

Great picks!! Have you heard Soiree? It's much like Ivory Moon (only piano) but more entertaining. The moods Ant strikes are more powerful, more obvious, more lush. THAT is probably my #3 Ant album.

#1 is of course TG&tG while Slow Dance is probably #2.

I feel bad not mentioning Dragonfly Dreams and Wise After The Event, so maybe #4 and #5 right here.

I bought Soirée, but haven't listened to it yet. So it's that good? You make me curious. I have to really try that one! 
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 13:34
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

I prefer the second half of Sides, but I do like the first side, especially Um & Argh.  That and Bleak House are probably my favorites from that album.  PP&P II is good, but I slightly prefer I as it seems to have more completed pieces.  Slow Dance is excellent as is 1984.  The double CD version of 1984 has some really cool bonus stuff on the second disc. 

My favs are probably TG&TG at the top (and I like Phil's vocal input on the two songs he sings-this was directed at another poster), with Slow Dance and Wise After the Event bringing up the two and three spots.  I should also mention that his pop album Invisible Men is pretty cool as well.  PP&P I, Sides and 1984 are the following three.

Yes, I prefer the second half of Sides too. Sisters Of Remindum is my favorite track, followed by Bleak House, I think. Um and Aargh is quite good, yes. 
Oh yes, 1984 is also a good album! 
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 14:59
However good the original albums may be - the ultimate sonic paradise are the alternate versions of Wise After The Event, especially those with Michael Giles and John Perry. Ant should have recorded the whole album live with those two guys - it sounds like a great mixture of Caravan, early Genesis and McDonald&Giles to me. 
All in all each man in all men
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 06:22
1984 is his best IMHO.....could have done it better with a drummer though....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123