Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Part of... La Villa Strangiato?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which part of this composition do you enjoy the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [26.09%]
9 [39.13%]
4 [17.39%]
3 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gandalff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Part of... La Villa Strangiato?
    Posted: July 27 2012 at 02:04
For better orientation in single parts:

Notice
The full title of this instrumental composition is: "La Villa Strangiato: An Exercise Of Self Indulgence".
* These movements have a reprise in the end of whole composition
A Elbereth Gilthoniel
silivren penna míriel
o menel aglar elenath!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earthmover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 02:06
I didn't even know it had separate parts! The whole song flows so nicely.

No vote.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 02:10
So that beginning is actually supposed to sound Spanish.. Strangiato Theme for me, that guitar rips it up. Classic.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 02:39
A Farewell To Things
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 02:44
Strangiato Theme
Starhammer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 04:10
The part with Stan Getz
bb1319 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bb1319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 07:40
"Monsters!" is my favorite section, but it flows so well!
"I'd say that what we hear is the quality of our listening." -Robert Fripp
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambient Hurricanes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 09:31
"A Lerxt in Wonderland" contains the most masterful and beautiful guitar solo I've ever heard.  So that one.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 09:38
I think the titling of the movements was kind of intended as a joke by the band.  It seems unnecessary to divide a 9 minute song into 10 parts.  So I'm not sure how to vote, my favorite part of the song is the first buildup to the first loud part.  I guess that's "Strangiato Theme".
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fox On The Rocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2012 at 15:27
The last sections are some of my favourite Rush moments ever, especially The Ghost Aragon. Tasty Bass and tricky odd times.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2012 at 00:16
Lerxst in Wonderland, fantastic!
Sputterwall View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sputterwall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 18:59
Nobody here seems to be aware that La Villa Strangiato is built around a whole bunch of cartoon themes.  Seriously, all of the major themes in the song are based on background music from various cartoons that I (born in '60) used to watch on Saturday mornings.  If you are that old, and you think about that as you listen to the song, it sounds all the cooler!  I am in the process of trying to track down cartoons that have those themes in them - somebody should put together a compilation of clips with the themes in the same basic order as they appear in La Villa.  I may just be the fool to undertake such a waste of time.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2018 at 19:47
Originally posted by Sputterwall Sputterwall wrote:

Nobody here seems to be aware that La Villa Strangiato is built around a whole bunch of cartoon themes.

Just we Rush fans! (^:
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 02:08
Absolutely Monsters!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 02:19
The whole thing please. I don't have a fave section.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 05:50

Nobody here seems to be aware that La Villa Strangiato is built around a whole bunch of cartoon themes.  Seriously, all of the major themes in the song are based on background music from various cartoons that I (born in '60) used to watch on Saturday mornings.  If you are that old, and you think about that as you listen to the song, it sounds all the cooler!  I am in the process of trying to track down cartoons that have those themes in them - somebody should put together a compilation of clips with the themes in the same basic order as they appear in La Villa.  I may just be the fool to undertake such a waste of time.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 06:30
Originally posted by Earthmover Earthmover wrote:

I didn't even know it had separate parts! The whole song flows so nicely.

No vote.
Well I knew it had parts but I've never really thought about which part is which and I'm not going to bother to work it out now, I just like the whole thing.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 08:18

I used to watch some cartoons as well in my youth (I was born a few short months before '60). But I cannot remember any background music with 5/4 and 7/8 time signatures in it. Maybe because I live on the other side of the Atlantic. Never mind, I'd like to see such a compilation if it will ever be made Wink.

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

The whole thing please. I don't have a fave section.

I prefer the whole thing as well instead of a dozen slices. But the 'Lerxst' part may be the best.

Edited by someone_else - April 26 2018 at 08:22
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 09:09
https://rushvault.com/2011/02/04/la-villa-strangiato/
The guitarwork [of part of the song was] lifted from Warner Bros. cartoon music of the 1930s and ’40s, particularly ‘Powerhouse’ by Raymond Scott.”—Robert Telleria, Merely Players

The publishers of Raymond Scott’s “Powerhouse” did not attempt to take legal action until after the statute of limitations had run out, but “Rush’s management, feeling it was the right thing to do, gave some monetary compensation to Mr. and Mrs. Scott.”—Wikipedia

The appropriation of “Powerhouse” comes at about the 5:50-minute mark, in the “Monsters” suite.  Listen to “Powerhouse” here.  Go to the 30-second mark.  Now listen to “La Villa Strangiato.”  Go to the 5:50-minute mark.

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 10:49
The Ghost Of The Aragon - The bass & drum work there is just sick!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>