Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPendragon Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 16:10
Too much hate for neo prog amongst the current batch of collabs.  Personally, I hadn't written a review for quite some time, before the review that I wrote on a whim earlier this week.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 16:03
I am going through a pretty strong Pendragon phase at the moment. As I write this, listening to the wonderful Men Who Climb Mountains, an excellent testament to where this great band are right now.

I do find it surprising that only four collabs, including yours truly, have actually bothered to review it.

Why is that, do you think?

After all, I can only think of Marillion and IQ as equally important bands who emerged from the second wave of prog in the UK in the 80's, and who are still making great music.

Road Of Bones, rightly, attracted huge praise on release.

Why not equal attention to this fantastic project? I find it desperately confusing.

Thoughts?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 03:25
The Jewel is such a gem (pun intended) !!
Nothing bad about my LP copy from way back.......
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 02:53
The Jewel is out of print at the moment, we hope to re-issue it at some point, but I don't think it will be this year.....sorry!
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 01:16
I use Spotify like I use Bandcamp, to give the music a listen to see if I want to buy it.  And then if I like it I buy it.

On a different track, I bought all of the Pendragon Madfish reissues over the last couple of years.  But will The Jewel ever get any kind of CD reissue?
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2015 at 00:26
Just keep pressing those gems to vinyl and I'm there
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 13:44
As I said in my email, the easiest way to have the music you want to listen to readily available is to buy it. And unfortunately no.....Spotify has definitely not helped us, and to find a musician who can honestly say it help them is like looking for hen's teeth....and that doesn't make us at all unusual.
It's basic economics, if nowt goes into the pot, nowt will come out.
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 13:40
Originally posted by Wilcey Wilcey wrote:

What good is "exposure"?????? We get less album sales (and other merch sales) and gig attendances have remained steady for at least 20 years....so tell me where is the benefit if this exposure, other than Mr Spotify putting your £10 a month into his pocket?

W

I'm not saying you guys should not have removed your catalog. Sure, I'm personally bummed because it was easy access to your music, but I'm not offended by the decision. As far as exposure, that's really the point of radio and online streaming. You say it didn't help your band's sales or concert attendance. Fine. Remove it. But you're just one case. There are others like you too who got nothing out of it. And, hey, it could be the case that Spotify aided in concert attendances remaining steady, and helped album sales be more than they would have been if you hadn't been on it. Though I hope not since you're no longer on there.  
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 12:19
What good is "exposure"?????? We get less album sales (and other merch sales) and gig attendances have remained steady for at least 20 years....so tell me where is the benefit if this exposure, other than Mr Spotify putting your £10 a month into his pocket?

W
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 11:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

The Spotify business model is a disgrace as far as artists remuneration is concerned. I am surprised that anyone allows their music on there.
Eh, it's great exposure, though. My friends and I would never have gotten in to so many bands if it weren't for Spotify. It's also where I discovered some great bands like Airbag, Mystery, Pendragon, Moon Safari; as well as good bands like Unitopia and Magic Pie.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 11:29
Originally posted by POTA POTA wrote:

I'm pretty upset they removed their catalog from Spotify. It's how I really discovered their music. I was listening to them relentlessly when it suddenly disappeared a little over a month ago. Here's what I was told when I emailed the band.

<span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">Our back catalogue albums were available through Spotify whilst we</span><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"> </span><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">licensed them to Snapper Music, we have now had the digital rights </span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">returned to us and will be making the albums available to buy digitally </span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">via CD Baby, Amazon and I-Tunes very soon.</span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">They will no longer be available via streaming services such as Spotify. </span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">Unfortunately the Spotify streaming model does mean that we don't </span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">actually get paid when you listen to the albums, this will mean that we </span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">will no longer be able to continue to produce music if we're not paid by </span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">the people that listen, so we have made the decision to withdraw from </span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">these types of services.</span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">Again, the albums will be shortly available via paid download services </span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">(CD Baby, Amazon, I-Tunes) or you can purchase the physical CD's from </span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">our retail partner "The Merch Desk"  </span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">http://themerchdesk.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=136_202<br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">Best wishes,</span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">Wilcey,</span><br style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;"><span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">Pendragon</span>
<span style="font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif; line-height: normal;">
</span>

The Spotify business model is a disgrace as far as artists remuneration is concerned. I am surprised that anyone allows their music on there.
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2015 at 10:55
I'm pretty upset they removed their catalog from Spotify. It's how I really discovered their music. I was listening to them relentlessly when it suddenly disappeared a little over a month ago. Here's what I was told when I emailed the band.

Our back catalogue albums were available through Spotify whilst we licensed them to Snapper Music, we have now had the digital rights 
returned to us and will be making the albums available to buy digitally 
via CD Baby, Amazon and I-Tunes very soon.
They will no longer be available via streaming services such as Spotify. 
Unfortunately the Spotify streaming model does mean that we don't 
actually get paid when you listen to the albums, this will mean that we 
will no longer be able to continue to produce music if we're not paid by 
the people that listen, so we have made the decision to withdraw from 
these types of services.

Again, the albums will be shortly available via paid download services 
(CD Baby, Amazon, I-Tunes) or you can purchase the physical CD's from 
our retail partner "The Merch Desk"  
http://themerchdesk.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=136_202

Best wishes,

Wilcey,
Pendragon
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 13:28
Woohoo !! Happy Birthday Nick   

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 08 2015 at 13:29
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2015 at 13:06
Nick is 54 today.

Cheers, and many happy returns!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 07:09
Masquerade Overture is flawed by that Pursuit Of Happiness track, otherwise a fine album indeed.
the lighthouse keepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2015 at 05:57
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Currently got Not Of This World spinning on the TT - I'm convinced this is my ultimate fave from Pendragon. Love it to bits.

Along with The Masquerade Overture,it's the best!
Nick Barrett is a superb musician,and his song writing isn't bad either!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2015 at 20:10
Currently got Not Of This World spinning on the TT - I'm convinced this is my ultimate fave from Pendragon. Love it to bits.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2015 at 13:11
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Men Who Climb Mountains is a surprisingly strong album. Apart from the slightly iffy opening, Belle Ame, the album quickly shifts into gear, reaching blissful heights with Come Home Jack/In Bardo, and not letting up until the beautiful ending, Netherworld plays through. I think I'm liking this more than Pure.
It's a departure from the likes of The Window Of Life, Masquerade Overture and Not Of This World (how do Nick and the boys do this perfection over and over ??), but still maintains amazing quality and emotion, something NB prides himself on. There is just a ton of magic and emotion that flows from Nick's fingers into his guitar, most of his solo parts are OUTSTANDING, enough to bring tears to my eyes, something only David Gilmour hints at.
thanks I`ll be off looking forward to getting them...LOLLOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 02:45
Men Who Climb Mountains is a surprisingly strong album. Apart from the slightly iffy opening, Belle Ame, the album quickly shifts into gear, reaching blissful heights with Come Home Jack/In Bardo, and not letting up until the beautiful ending, Netherworld plays through. I think I'm liking this more than Pure.
It's a departure from the likes of The Window Of Life, Masquerade Overture and Not Of This World (how do Nick and the boys do this perfection over and over ??), but still maintains amazing quality and emotion, something NB prides himself on. There is just a ton of magic and emotion that flows from Nick's fingers into his guitar, most of his solo parts are OUTSTANDING, enough to bring tears to my eyes, something only David Gilmour hints at.

Edited by Tom Ozric - February 19 2015 at 03:02
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2015 at 07:53
I`ve been trying to seek out which way to go with the newer album so I`ve just sent for the latest one once I`ve been and listened to it I`ll let you now...Big smile 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>