Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPendragon Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 14:00
The comments about Passion are bewildering to me. This is an album from a band moving forward and updating their sound to the modern, rather than resting on their laurels.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 07:56
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I have to say that I didn't enjoy Passion at all. I thought the heavier sound worked against them. I stopped the CD after the first track. It just was disappointing to me. I understand their music had headed in a new direction, but I was surprised by the heaviness and gobs of crunch guitar. It just did little for me. I might listen again after I fully recover from this letdown.
Ouch

Well, it's nobody's fault. Sometimes you just have take some chances, right? I very rarely buy a CD that I'm completely repulsed by, but this new Pendragon offering is pretty close to making me want to give up on them, but, as I said, I'm going to listen again. I hope Pure is better because I have that one on order too.

All I can say Mirror is you get paid too much.
Jon_t View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2012 at 13:21
I Love pendragon always have ,most likely always will,I have had all the albums,cds,dvds,right from way back to 1979-1980,and what a ride its been,some brilliant purely pendragon music along the way.Pure I must admit takes a lot of plays to get used to ,but its worth the wait,until it all clicks into placeSmile
 My favorite pendragon cds in no real order are,The World,Superb to me every song,Window of life ,which is just fine music and thoughtfull powerful music,then followed by The Masquerade Overture ,what a fine trio of Albums they wereSmile then onto Not of this World,which I think lyrically was a peak for Nick,but there are many peaks to this band,then quite a few years later we got a new start of sorts with Believe ,Pure and Passion again a trio pf sorts in my mind,and love all 3 equally,but Have a slight soft spot for Believe as when at a point were Nick wasn;t sure he was releasing a dvd at the time sent me his own personal copy of the making of dvd,to watch,which was Just how Nick and the rest of the Pendragon family have been with me over such a long time.
 My favorite pendragon keepsake is the World Picture disc cd that I searched for for years ,and finally Nick sent me a copy he had as he knew I wanted it so much.
 And I can recommend all the Pendragon DVD'S and if you think Dave Gilmore can play a bit watch these DVD'S and you will see why Nick is the top of the tree for Prog Guitar in my oppinion.
 So to finish whether it fly high fall far from 1980 or the New out of order comes Chaos dvd ,pick any point in the great Pendragon Catalogue and if you are a fan of great progressive,Guitar driven music with the best lyrics of any rock band I know,you will love Pendragon as much as I do.Smile
And with what Wilcey had to say it looks like we have a lot of wonderful music to look forward to in the near future Big smile
Cheers John
King Lerxst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2013 at 21:35
Thanks to the good people that publish Classic Rock and Prog magazines I have come to know and appreicate Pendragon's music over the past couple of years.  My first exposure was the song Indigo on the "Prognosis 3" CD that was free in one of the Prog issues.  That song lead me to purchase the the Pure album as well as the Concerto Maximo DVD.

I've gone into their back catalogue and have acquired several albums including Believe, Not Of This World, Passion, Pure, and The World.  I find that I like the newer material and their very early work best but the in-between albums tend to sound and feel too much alike.

I've never seen them live but with word having come out recently about them playing at least one show in North America (Quebec City) this fall, I fully intend to be in attendance. 
InClouds View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 23:41
I love Pendragon, one of the many, many bands I have discovered on this site.  I love every one of their albums (except Kowtow....I don't like to think about Kowtow......).  I do like their "classic" stuff a bit more than their last couple of albums, but only slightly.  They hit the nail on the head with "The Masquerade Overture" and "Not of this World".  
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 03:27
Neo or not, The Jewel is a tremendous (and rockin') album. My personal favorite, followed by The Window Of Life.

I also bought last year's reissue of Kowtow. Underrated. Some cool songs on that one.

In the 90s, I had The World. Underwhelming, to say the least. The Masquerade Overture may be the last full album of Pendragon's that I could listen to from start to finish. I tried the last several and they didn't reel me in.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2013 at 03:47
Pendragon have a thread!Stern Smile Oh yes only 2 pages in a year!
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

the lighthouse keepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 17:47
Apparently Madfish are re - releasing The Masquerade Overture in August including the four track e.p.As good as gold in the package.Good to have it back on the shelf.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 21:24
Originally posted by the lighthouse keepe the lighthouse keepe wrote:

Apparently Madfish are re - releasing The Masquerade Overture in August including the four track e.p.As good as gold in the package.Good to have it back on the shelf.
CD or LP?  I've only seen notice of the vinyl reissue.  Which does me no good, not having a turntable!!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 22:44

Again? I recall a previous reissue added the EP as bonus tracks.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 05:20

CD or LP?  I've only seen notice of the vinyl reissue.  Which does me no good, not having a turntable!!
CD only .
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 06:10
I only know 'classic' Pendragon. 
Apart from The World, I like every album from the debut until The Masquerade Overture. 
Was a bit disappointed by Not Of This World, and then I stopped following the band.
I think I should try one of their newer albums out, though, given how much I like the early years.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 14:39
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I only know 'classic' Pendragon. 
Apart from The World, I like every album from the debut until The Masquerade Overture. 
Was a bit disappointed by Not Of This World, and then I stopped following the band.
I think I should try one of their newer albums out, though, given how much I like the early years.
I think you'll find plenty has changed since 2001  when they released " Not of this World".The albums since that release, "Believe","Pure"and"Passion" ,seem to have split the mass ranks of fans either way.All three are good,but way below earlier cds. Try " Believe" first and if you enjoy that then I'm sure you'll like the other two.Theyre live cds/DVDs are well worth checking out too.Through all these changes though, Barrets class as a guitar genius hasn't changed.So under-rated.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2013 at 22:58

CD only .
I see the LP here:  http://www.burningshed.com/store/madfish/product/397/4936/.  No sign of the CD.  Where did you hear about it?

Ah, I think I've found it.  http://www.artist-shop.com/toff/.
"Pendragon formed in 1978 and over the past 30-odd years have built up a fanatical fanbase around the world, releasing eight albums along with countless EPs, live and mini-albums.  The band returned in 2012 with their new album, Passion, which was hailed by Classic Rock Prog as 'an album that has both verve and real panache.'   Passion was released on the new Madfish label (a division of Snapper Music) and Madfish are now in the process of releasing new editions of albums from throughout the band's back catalogue. "The Masquerade Overture" Madfish edition of their 1996 album with three bonus tracks!  This series continues with Masquerade Overture, the 1996 album that was originally released on the band's own Toff Records.  This new edition features three bonus tracks and is packaged in a slip case.  "The World" Madfish edition of their 1991 album with a bonus track!  This series continues with The World, the 1991 album that was originally released on the band's own Toff Records. This edition features the bonus track 'Sister Bluebird' and is packaged in a jewel case with slip case."

Cool.  I've been collecting all of the reissues.  Was mystified when they jumped all the way "back" to Kowtow, skipping these two.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 10:13
When will the new album be out?How do you think it will be?I hope they come back to their older sound like on their first albums.I don't like their metal sound

Edited by aliano - April 14 2014 at 10:24
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 10:46
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

When will the new album be out?How do you think it will be?I hope they come back to their older sound like on their first albums.I don't like their metal sound

The new album tour starts in October, so late summer, I expect.

I hope they continue to evolve.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
InClouds View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 16:43
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

Yeah...they haven't become metal, not by a long shot.  They have certainly gotten heavier though, I'll give you that.  And to be honest, I would love a return to the Masquerade Overture-type sound that was the reason that I fell in love with in the first place.  I think they have been trying to sound more "modern", and I really can't blame a band for trying to stay relevant as long as they keep making quality music.  Pure and Passion maybe aren't the type of albums that I have come to expect from them, but I did quite enjoy them all the same.

To answer your question though, I think I will enjoy the new album as well.  The only album I haven't liked from them is Kowtow (okay, and like half of Believe), so I am pretty confident that it will be good.
decypher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 17:25
I love all of their albums, favourites would be Window of Life (the album I started with), Not of this World (the epitome of bombast-neo-prog Smile ) but I really did enjoy following their style change on Believe/Pure/Passion (although after excessive listening to their entire discography, in retrospective I don't find that style change as drastic as it appeared at first). Nick Barret's tone is amazing. 
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 04:14
Nick introduces the new album "Men Who Climb Mountains":http://www.pendragon.mu/and-so-it-begins-again-a-new-album/
Wow!!I'm really excited!It seems the new album will be exactly what I want to hear from Pendragon.Can't wait to hear it

Edited by aliano - May 13 2014 at 04:19
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 04:23
Always evolving Lazland, it's a dull man that stands still on the road in life! Wink   

"Men Who Climb Mountains"  will be exclusively available from Pendragon (website and on tour) The 2 day (sold out) launch event in the UK is 4th/5th October and the tour starts Friday Oct 10th.  

We will start pre-orders in August and release is in October.   More info when we have it! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>