Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPendragon Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2014 at 14:13
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I would suggest you join the Pendragon OCD Facebook group - it would have been impossible to miss the new album as Rachel has been posting regular updates throughout the recording.
There's plenty of stuff about it on their website as well - it was announced on 14th October.

First of all, I don't have Facebook and don't intend on getting it. Second, the website says it's available through their web shop. When is/was it available "in all good music retailers"? That's what I mean. If I can, I prefer to buy my CDs from a shop. Saves all that faffing around and morning after disappointing morning of anxiously waiting for the postman.

There's been plenty on the Pendragon website all year leading up to the release of the new cd. The CD was on pre order before release via the site, and there was no waiting morning after morning as It was delivered on the day that Nick said it would be available and signed as well, which you won't get from Amazon etc. Its a great album, just enjoy and be thankful after all these years that we can still enjoy a new Pendragon cd as much and as good as this one and I for one can't wait for the Gig at St Helens next week, which by the way is a sell out now :)
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 05:14
Just for info......

We announced in March that it would be released in October. We didn't change that or alter that date. The LAUNCH event was October 4/5 and we shipped pre orders on October 6th as promised world wide. 
We are independent, basically Nick runs the label and I (his partner) assist in all the admin and shipping. We have a very few trusted dealers world wide who we have sent stock to Laser's Edge, Kenesis in USA, Just for Kicks in Germany, Bertus in the Netherlands, and Built by France..... in France. We are retailing from our own site at £12 plus P&P (and look at the stamp, we charge you a LOT less for P&P than it actually costs us!!!) So we think we are offering a good deal world wide.  We have shipped to every continent across the world on the date we specified, and on going we aim to ship within 48 hours of each order. 
We are looking at mass distribution world wide next year, but for explanation, we HAVE to do it this way as being an independent self published band run by just 2 people if we offer it to mass distribution we don't actually earn any money from it......and before you jump up and down accusing us of being bread-heads, I'd like to say with a release, the same with shows we aim to not LOSE money, rather than aim to make a pile of cash. Making quality music and products is not a cheap exercise, and whilst we're busy (me in the office and Nick in the studio) we do need to pay the bills! 

If we were selling millions of albums through major labels across the world we could stock em up and sell em cheap, but alas we're not in that sector. And really, to be fair fans of niche music (prog) should understand that idea shouldn't they? 

We update the website every time we have news, we tweet, we FB. The news IS there. Always. 

We do pride ourselves in sticking to targets, if we say the album will be out in October, that happens. We dont' ask you to crowd fund it with a hazy "might be available some time in the next 3 years" kind of way, we offer pre-orders just one month before release when we know 100% we will not let you down. 

Some pre-orders did not arrive at their destination, some folks understood this was a "lost in the post" situation, some folks treated me to torrents of personal abuse.  Again, we ship when we say we're going to, we can not be held responsible for the actions of the mail, but we ALWAYS do our best to rectify a bad situation as soon as humanly possible. And, we ARE human! 

Having said all of that over 10,000 people now have MWCM and seem in the main to be pretty happy with that. 

For us, we've just got home from 21 dates in mainland Europe and next week we do a few shows in the UK, I try to answer emails on the hoof as we're in foreign parts, but sometimes due to wifi restrictions or workloads e-mails will take slightly longer to reply to whilst we're touring. We're not ignoring you though, we're doing our best with our limited resources to keep everyone happy! We're not amazon, we're me'n'Nick. 

Oh, and I have no idea who is supplying amazon, it's not us! :-) 

Personally I am SO looking forward to St Helens (now sold out) to meet Jon_t as we've spoken via e-mail for many years and I'm sure he'll agree that we've built up a good relationship in that time, as we tend to do with anyone who e-mails into the office! :-) 

See ya next week Jon! 

Wilcey
The office Monkey
Pendragon Base-Camp
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 06:08
Ordered from Lasers Edge.  Thank you for the info.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 06:30
Nick is one of the most emotional lead-guitarist's after David Gikmour.........
.....Dunno what mor to say............?.......
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 10:05
I`d lost touch with the band from after the KowTow album, so my question is to renew my Pendragon.
which album of the new music would or should I give a spin...

Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Jon_t View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 10:56
Originally posted by Wilcey Wilcey wrote:

Just for info......

We announced in March that it would be released in October. We didn't change that or alter that date. The LAUNCH event was October 4/5 and we shipped pre orders on October 6th as promised world wide. 
We are independent, basically Nick runs the label and I (his partner) assist in all the admin and shipping. We have a very few trusted dealers world wide who we have sent stock to Laser's Edge, Kenesis in USA, Just for Kicks in Germany, Bertus in the Netherlands, and Built by France..... in France. We are retailing from our own site at £12 plus P&P (and look at the stamp, we charge you a LOT less for P&P than it actually costs us!!!) So we think we are offering a good deal world wide.  We have shipped to every continent across the world on the date we specified, and on going we aim to ship within 48 hours of each order. 
We are looking at mass distribution world wide next year, but for explanation, we HAVE to do it this way as being an independent self published band run by just 2 people if we offer it to mass distribution we don't actually earn any money from it......and before you jump up and down accusing us of being bread-heads, I'd like to say with a release, the same with shows we aim to not LOSE money, rather than aim to make a pile of cash. Making quality music and products is not a cheap exercise, and whilst we're busy (me in the office and Nick in the studio) we do need to pay the bills! 

If we were selling millions of albums through major labels across the world we could stock em up and sell em cheap, but alas we're not in that sector. And really, to be fair fans of niche music (prog) should understand that idea shouldn't they? 

We update the website every time we have news, we tweet, we FB. The news IS there. Always. 

We do pride ourselves in sticking to targets, if we say the album will be out in October, that happens. We dont' ask you to crowd fund it with a hazy "might be available some time in the next 3 years" kind of way, we offer pre-orders just one month before release when we know 100% we will not let you down. 

Some pre-orders did not arrive at their destination, some folks understood this was a "lost in the post" situation, some folks treated me to torrents of personal abuse.  Again, we ship when we say we're going to, we can not be held responsible for the actions of the mail, but we ALWAYS do our best to rectify a bad situation as soon as humanly possible. And, we ARE human! 

Having said all of that over 10,000 people now have MWCM and seem in the main to be pretty happy with that. 

For us, we've just got home from 21 dates in mainland Europe and next week we do a few shows in the UK, I try to answer emails on the hoof as we're in foreign parts, but sometimes due to wifi restrictions or workloads e-mails will take slightly longer to reply to whilst we're touring. We're not ignoring you though, we're doing our best with our limited resources to keep everyone happy! We're not amazon, we're me'n'Nick. 

Oh, and I have no idea who is supplying amazon, it's not us! :-) 

Personally I am SO looking forward to St Helens (now sold out) to meet Jon_t as we've spoken via e-mail for many years and I'm sure he'll agree that we've built up a good relationship in that time, as we tend to do with anyone who e-mails into the office! :-) 

See ya next week Jon! 

Wilcey
The office Monkey
Pendragon Base-Camp

Agree with everything above and Pendragon and particularly Nick and Rachel have done me proud for a long long time. See you in St Helens Rachel we are really looking forward to what I know will be a brilliant concert and night.
WinkSmile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 12:07
The Citadel is a great venue (I saw Wigan's finest, Tansads, there a few times), so have a great time, Jon.

Unfortunately, since I moved to the other side of Wales, and we took on so much in caring responsibilities, getting up there was impossible.

On the general point re Pendragon and the albums, I think that we should all be extremely thankful that the business model Nick & Wilcey have works so well. If it didn't, then we would not have so much great new music to enjoy.

As I think I said before, I got mine the week of release from Will at Caerllysi Music, a great independent retailer, and it was one of the signed double CD issueApprove

Thank God they are not Amazon, or any other huge corporate monster. Surely, part of the continuing appeal of bands such as Marillion, Pendragon, and IQ is their ability to continue making great and vital new music, under a business model which, although not making a fortune, at least works and funds the stuff we love.

BTW, I love the song based approach on MWCM. Review on the site to follow in the next week.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2014 at 12:15
Is that a joke? C'mon guys, the 90's are over, I won't spend $40 for a double cd.
Jon_t View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 00:40
St Helens was absolutely Awesome,for me best gig ever, and I have seen hundreds of Bands. The whole band was unbelievable, and a fantastic set of new and old. If you can manage to get to the final night in London ,you will not be disappointed. Great to meet Rachel also. Brilliant Venue, Brilliant night, Come back soon.WinkSmile
Jon_t View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 02:08
If anyones interested I have Just uploaded my first video from st helens -watch in HD Full screen
you tube is a pain for uploading took 14 hours for 8 mins of video -opening track to the concert. :)
link

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2014 at 06:40
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Is that a joke? C'mon guys, the 90's are over, I won't spend $40 for a double cd.
$40? What exchange rate are you on?

Can I just say Nick and Rachel run a brilliant operation - the amount of work they get through is phenomenal and anyone who sends abusive emails is a complete Censored.

Oh, and MWCM is brilliant.

Edited by chopper - November 13 2014 at 06:43
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 02:41
forty dollars???? I have no idea who is charging you forty dollars but it isn't us! 

And whilst we're talking about the price of music I read this the other day, you might find it an interesting read..... http://thetrichordist.com/2012/10/05/mythbusting-music-is-too-expensive/

And as a business plan making something that's getting more expensive to make but cheaper to sell...... yeah, sounds like a crap business model doesn't it? We appreciate those who support not just us but all the non-amazinion little guys out there struggling to get from one album to the next! 

Also...... Will at Caerllysi Music is a top bloke! :-) 

W x

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 11:47
Don't have any Pendragon though I have heard several albums on you tube......which is the best of the best so I can start there?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 14:15
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Don't have any Pendragon though I have heard several albums on you tube......which is the best of the best so I can start there?

Difficult question to answer, really.

You could actually, do a lot worse than starting off with the new one.

Of the symphonic phase, perhaps The Masquerade Overture, or, of the latter phase, Passion is a work of genius.

Actually, though, Pendragon are a rarity in that they have never, ever, released a bum album. Three stars minimum, and you cannot say that about many acts.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2014 at 14:19
Also, I perhaps should mention that I made an error on my MWCM review last week. I paid tribute to Clive on the keyboard solo on In Bardo, which is beautiful. Playing the album on Saturday night, I noticed from the CD liner notes that it was actually.........Nick.

Read before you write, Laz, read before you write........

Still does not detract from a mighty fine album, and I hope the review put this across.
Jon_t View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2014 at 02:03
Most of the St Helens show except the encore now uploaded to my You tube channel if anyones interested.

Please Visit the Pendragon Official website for more information on the new Album Men Who Climb Mountains which is superb.

Cheers John
yesheadjon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 07:01
Firstly, I must be somewhat slow as I have just watched Breaking the Spell from St Helen's, done a search on Pendragon Album Reviews, come on the site and not equated jon_t to the footage until he posted the link.

I really wanted to say that Nick and Rach are two of the most honest hard working people I know and it really gets on my wick when I see people whinging on as if they are managed by Simon Cowell and live in Beverley Hills. Trying to make end meet when there is so much illegal downloading and touring where the margins are so small make me wonder how people like Nick find the motivation to carry on. Album after album delivers something different but with a common thread that there is always emotion, passion and amazing musicianship. 

Men Who Climb Mountains may be the best album they have ever done, time will tell. If you only buy one CD for Christmas make it this one.

Oh yes and I agree with jon_t St Helen's was one of the best gigs they have ever done in the 31 years I have been going to see them, really special.

Cheers and much kudos to Rach, Nick and the band

Jon
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 07:33
Originally posted by the lighthouse keepe the lighthouse keepe wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

I only know 'classic' Pendragon. 
Apart from The World, I like every album from the debut until The Masquerade Overture. 
Was a bit disappointed by Not Of This World, and then I stopped following the band.
I think I should try one of their newer albums out, though, given how much I like the early years.
I think you'll find plenty has changed since 2001  when they released " Not of this World".The albums since that release, "Believe","Pure"and"Passion" ,seem to have split the mass ranks of fans either way.All three are good,but way below earlier cds. Try " Believe" first and if you enjoy that then I'm sure you'll like the other two.Theyre live cds/DVDs are well worth checking out too.Through all these changes though, Barrets class as a guitar genius hasn't changed.So under-rated.

Thanks for the tip Big smile
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 10:13
Originally posted by Wilcey Wilcey wrote:

.....and before you jump up and down accusing us of being bread-heads, I'd like to say with a release, the same with shows we aim to not LOSE money, rather than aim to make a pile of cash. Making quality music and products is not a cheap exercise, and whilst we're busy (me in the office and Nick in the studio) we do need to pay the bills! 

My heart goes out to you guys.

Wow, I think this illustrates the effects of newer (and necessary) business models have had on musicians.  I truly wish that you didn't have to feel guilty about making money off of your album.

Just about everyone has some kind of job in life, musicians fall into that category, people that have jobs.  The good news is that it's one of the most gratifying and fun jobs out there.  I had a blast when I was playing and watching a crowd react to something you wrote is phenomenal.

None the less, it is still a job.  Making and selling music is how professional musicians pay their bills.  Musicians do something that many cannot, they fill in a niche.  If you ask me, Mr. Barrett and company should be making piles of money.  More importantly, they shouldn't have to feel guilty or defend wanting to make money at their job. 

Seriously, very few people start their job with the mentality 'Well I don't want to make too much money here', I just hate it that musicians have to defend making money.  Yeah, musicians in the seventies made a lot of money, but really if you were to run into Gene Simmons at the grocery store agonizing over getting the Jiff peanut butter over the cheaper store brand version, I think a little of the majesty is going to be lost.

-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
yesheadjon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2014 at 15:43
I couldn't agree more, This is not some retarded boy band publicity machine. This is people with huge talent and bags of personal integrity trying to bring pleasure to the prog masses and make enough to get by. I absolutely take my hat off to them for it.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>