Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPendragon Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 16:12
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Too much hate for neo prog amongst the current batch of collabs.  Personally, I hadn't written a review for quite some time, before the review that I wrote on a whim earlier this week.

That hate is beyond me, Scott. The importance of the bands who emerged from the wreckage of classic prog in the 80's should never be underestimated, ever.

Of course, I am speaking to the converted here!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2015 at 16:43
First heard Pendragon on the Friday night rock show session 1983 and then my friends band supported them (i sotra helped hump gear for them) on part of the west country tour of the 'Fly high, fall far' mini lp.. yes, those were the days!! Mullets galore!! Sort of lost touch for many years but saw and bought Masquerade overture  in 96(on toff label) on a whim and was genuinely bowled over- it has always retained a place in my heart and my daughter (who's 26 now) remembers it so well from repeated plays on long car journeys- i bought the madfish vinyl re-issue recentlyThumbs Up Have caught the band a number of times relatively recently (the best was at their home-coming gig in stroud) but personally have very, very mixed feelings about their last 3 lps. Nicks politics and views do not chime with my own (thats no crime of course, we both come from a west country farming background!) but i think they are an incredibly hard working band and they have my utmost respect for that.

t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2015 at 20:49
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Too much hate for neo prog amongst the current batch of collabs.  Personally, I hadn't written a review for quite some time, before the review that I wrote on a whim earlier this week.

That hate is beyond me, Scott. The importance of the bands who emerged from the wreckage of classic prog in the 80's should never be underestimated, ever.

Of course, I am speaking to the converted here!

Is hate quite the right word ? I know there are plenty here who cannot stand a lot of Neo and seemingly in particular the likes of Marillion, IQ and Pendragon but saying it is hate seems a tad harsh. So often these days one hears the word "hater" used to describe anyone who takes an opposing line. That's simply wrong and achieves nothing other than to reduce the impact of the word itself.

For me, not that they or their fans care, Smile the jury is still out on Pendragon. I liked them the first time I heard them and can happily sit through those albums that I know, even their very early stuff. Surely no one could suggest that Nick Barker (embarassing typo excised) Barrett is anything other than a very gifted guitarist and a competent composer nor that the band's recordings lack anything in richness or depth of sound but still for me there is something missing and I suspect, particularly with the early albums, that something is in the quality of NB's voice. It's certainly not a bad voice but for mine lacks a bit of character although one has to admit it has improved with age. What we hear e.g. on Pure and Passion is somewhat different to Masquerade Overture, hardly surprising given the time difference.

Still and all, you have to admire, at least to some extent, a band that has managed to survive for all these years and seems to be keeping heads above water.

Edited by t d wombat - September 21 2015 at 16:31
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 02:54
Yeah.... Nick Barker.....

I'm guessing you mean Barrett?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 16:26
Originally posted by Wilcey Wilcey wrote:

Yeah.... Nick Barker.....

I'm guessing you mean Barrett?

Embarrassed   ..... and you'd be quite correct of course. My whoops .... damn ekybraod has a mind of its own alternatively I'm a blithering incompetent. Your choice.  Embarrassed  

Edited by t d wombat - September 21 2015 at 17:02
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 14:19
I bought Passion recently. My first album of theirs of the recent era, and I can hear the difference immediately. Guitars are certainly more dominant here than the keyboard-dominated earlier albums. Also, some near-growls from Barrett put this in borderline prog-metal territory.

Feeding Frenzy has an incredible energy to it, and that unexpected "We are in control now" before the 2nd verse of that section is humorous, in a good way. My highlight, however, is definitely the 13-minute This Green and Pleasant Land. A soaring, anthemic chorus and that incredible instrumental coda with its virtuoso drumming.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 14:30
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

I bought Passion recently. My first album of theirs of the recent era, and I can hear the difference immediately. Guitars are certainly more dominant here than the keyboard-dominated earlier albums. Also, some near-growls from Barrett put this in borderline prog-metal territory.

Feeding Frenzy has an incredible energy to it, and that unexpected "We are in control now" before the 2nd verse of that section is humorous, in a good way. My highlight, however, is definitely the 13-minute This Green and Pleasant Land. A soaring, anthemic chorus and that incredible instrumental coda with its virtuoso drumming.

Not to mention, in This Green & Pleasant Land, the finest set of lyrics I have heard in the 21st century. Sheer classic track from an album brimming with class.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 17:35
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Not to mention, in This Green & Pleasant Land, the finest set of lyrics I have heard in the 21st century. Sheer classic track from an album brimming with class.

Interesting that you rate that track so highly. No that I disagree with you, I don't. TG&P is an absolute ripsnorter  yet it seems to me that it harks back to his earlier work more so than other more metal influenced work from the later albums. I confess I find the metal guitar used on the later albums not to my taste yet even so he is still capable of producing really uplifting music. Somewhat ironic I guess, in that on the one hand I'm a bit critical of NB's voice lacking a bit of character yet don't approve of the heavier more metal sound of his later work.

Favourite album ?  "Not of This World" probably but thus far no Pendragon album has really wormed its way into my heart.

Andrew B

RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 15:11
Pendragon album number 4 purchased last week, Men Who Climb Mountains. Just listened for a 2nd time, and it's a good one. I enjoy how the songs seem to be matched in pairs (with the exception of For When the Zombies Come), and I particularly love the chords at the end of Beautiful Soul, which reappear (and are used more prominently) in the closing track, Netherworld.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 07:24
I just bought the vinyl issue of 'The World'.
Had it on cassette since I bought it in Malaysia (Johor Baru) just across lthe causeway from Singapore back in 1993.
I've wished for this on vinyl since. Got it the other day.
Finally - a truly superb album..........

Edited by Tom Ozric - April 03 2016 at 07:27
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 10:21
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I just bought the vinyl issue of 'The World'.
Had it on cassette since I bought it in Malaysia (Johor Baru) just across lthe causeway from Singapore back in 1993.
I've wished for this on vinyl since. Got it the other day.
Finally - a truly superb album..........

I had it on last night. Classy album.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 14:34
^ The Voyager
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 08:21
the first album I had is The Jewel...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 16:05
^ Same. And I still love it
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 01:58

^ Same. And I still love it

me too Winkits fabulousClap 

sometimes I`m so weird I scare myself...
when the rat race of realities get you down...switch on hi-fi turn off WORLD?
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 08:05
Been slowly starting to explore the "Neo" world over the past year and did get Masquerade Overture which I have enjoyed, but nothing else by them yet.  Next choice for them?

From the same genre, I have really enjoyed The Mystery - The World is a Game, the vocals are stunning along with musicianship.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 09:39
^ Please, PLEASE go for Not Of This World. One of the most MAGICAL (for want of a better word) and deeply soulful escapades a Neo band could offer. Apart from a slightly goofy 'Give it To Me' section, the album is beyond flawless..............
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 10:52

^ Please, PLEASE go for Not Of This World. One of the most MAGICAL (for want of a better word) and deeply soulful escapades a Neo band could offer. Apart from a slightly goofy 'Give it To Me' section, the album is beyond flawless..............

Absolutely agree. Then go for The World, and then, for the newer stuff I would recommend Passion. All others should follow from there.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 16:17
The Window Of Life is also AMAZING !! I don't know how Nick and the boys do it, but there's something really special with Pendragon.
Magenta, with the beautiful Christina Booth, is another OUTSTANDING band worth checking out. I can't stress how much their music means to me.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2016 at 12:05
Thanks for the recommendations, the next one will be Not of this World!
Tom, it sounds like they have been a big part of your world.  That is good to see how some bands really connect with us and become part of us.

May not be the right thread, but did not see a "Mystery" thread, was curious what others thought of The Mystery?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>