Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pendragon Appreciation Thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pendragon Appreciation Thread

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Message
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 09 2005
Location: Collusion Ave
Status: Online
Points: 21984
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2016 at 13:30
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations, the next one will be Not of this World!
Tom, it sounds like they have been a big part of your world.  That is good to see how some bands really connect with us and become part of us.

May not be the right thread, but did not see a "Mystery" thread, was curious what others thought of The Mystery?

Your next move should be Beneath the Veil of Winter's Face (2007) and One Among the Living (2010), both excellent.

The live 'Tales from the Netherlands' is pretty good too.
and those with no homes to go to, please dig yourself holes
Back to Top
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: July 13 2005
Location: Essex, UK
Status: Offline
Points: 12541
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2016 at 14:04
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Please, PLEASE go for Not Of This World. One of the most MAGICAL (for want of a better word) and deeply soulful escapades a Neo band could offer.


I agree, Masquerade Overture is the one that tends to get the plaudits but Not Of This World is just as good, if not better.
Back to Top
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 03 2005
Location: Olympus Mons
Status: Offline
Points: 11883
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 00:04
Masquerade Overture has 'The Shadow' especially.
My friend Michael (Aussie Byrd Brother) introduced me to The Jewel, back around 2000. Just a WONDERFUL Sympho-Prog band and they've never put out a dud album. And I'm not keen on the 'neo' tag, but it is what it is, and it has stuck. Just like 'Djent'. Silly terms, I say.
Back to Top
Trollheart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 17 2016
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 114
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trollheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 06:41
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Been slowly starting to explore the "Neo" world over the past year and did get Masquerade Overture which I have enjoyed, but nothing else by them yet.  Next choice for them?

From the same genre, I have really enjoyed The Mystery - The World is a Game, the vocals are stunning along with musicianship.

I don't wish to be pendantic (Pendragontic?) but they're called Mystery. The Mystery are a totally different band, as I found when I was searching for Mystery albums! Yes, TWIAG and OATL are two excellent albums. Have yet to dive into the rest of their catalogue. Isn't it odd how David sounds so much like Jon Anderson?

Anyway, not to digress, this is a Pendragon thread so: I knew about them as they were always mentioned in conjunction with IQ and Marillion, and I'm a major Marillion fanboy, but I just never got the chance to check them out. The first I eventually heard from them was Believe and I absolutely loved it. After that it was the odd track on playlists, as I was way too busy to devote time to their other albums, but now I have, and I can rate them thus (what I've heard so far):

Not of This World
Men Who Climb Mountains
Passion
Believe
Pure
Kowtow
The Masquerade Overture
The Window of Life
The World
The Jewel

Unlike most of you here, although I do like TMO  I don't rate it as one of their best, and The Jewel disappointed me on first listen. I have no problem with their new direction, even the "rap" on Passion fits in really well. For a long time, I didn't like "Eraserhead" (I know) but now I love it, but I'm still coming to terms with "Feeding Frenzy", for me easily the weakest track on Passion. I also love "TG&PL", but can anyone tell me why it ends so bloody badly? I mean, yodelling and sheep sounds? I was really let down by the end of the song, which is one of their classics at this point I feel. 

If you've been reading Nick's blog you'll see they're working on a new album, though how soon we will see that is anyone's guess. I'm happy to wait though.

Trollheart: as Irish as losing a 3-0 lead in a must-win fixture!
Back to Top
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 03 2008
Location: Canada
Status: Online
Points: 562
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 11:19
Originally posted by Trollheart Trollheart wrote:

Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Been slowly starting to explore the "Neo" world over the past year and did get Masquerade Overture which I have enjoyed, but nothing else by them yet.  Next choice for them?

From the same genre, I have really enjoyed The Mystery - The World is a Game, the vocals are stunning along with musicianship.

I don't wish to be pendantic (Pendragontic?) but they're called Mystery. The Mystery are a totally different band, as I found when I was searching for Mystery albums! Yes, TWIAG and OATL are two excellent albums. Have yet to dive into the rest of their catalogue. Isn't it odd how David sounds so much like Jon Anderson?

Anyway, not to digress, this is a Pendragon thread so: I knew about them as they were always mentioned in conjunction with IQ and Marillion, and I'm a major Marillion fanboy, but I just never got the chance to check them out. The first I eventually heard from them was Believe and I absolutely loved it. After that it was the odd track on playlists, as I was way too busy to devote time to their other albums, but now I have, and I can rate them thus (what I've heard so far):

Not of This World
Men Who Climb Mountains
Passion
Believe
Pure
Kowtow
The Masquerade Overture
The Window of Life
The World
The Jewel

Unlike most of you here, although I do like TMO  I don't rate it as one of their best, and The Jewel disappointed me on first listen. I have no problem with their new direction, even the "rap" on Passion fits in really well. For a long time, I didn't like "Eraserhead" (I know) but now I love it, but I'm still coming to terms with "Feeding Frenzy", for me easily the weakest track on Passion. I also love "TG&PL", but can anyone tell me why it ends so bloody badly? I mean, yodelling and sheep sounds? I was really let down by the end of the song, which is one of their classics at this point I feel. 

If you've been reading Nick's blog you'll see they're working on a new album, though how soon we will see that is anyone's guess. I'm happy to wait though.



Been a huge fan of Pendragon for ages and seen them 3 times in concert..  One aspect of Pendragon I love,  is the variety and how the latter albums are  so different..  I regard Nick Barret's guitar playing similar to Andy Latimer to some degree.  I like the fact,  certain albums and tracks are so different,  which makes quite  interesting listening.   Specially over the years... Smile Their earlier career,   sounded very poppy in sound and style.  They then moved direction and made 4 similar style albums,  both in sound and approach with The Masquerade Overture,  The Window of Life,  The World and Not of this World.     Would love another epic album from them..  Cannot wait!!!Big smile 
Back to Top
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 01 2004
Location: CA
Status: Offline
Points: 3860
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 14:09
Originally posted by Trollheart Trollheart wrote:

The Jewel disappointed me on first listen.

What about subsequent listens? I think that one and The Window of Life get overshadowed by their more recent albums, but happen to be among their best efforts. 
Back to Top
Trollheart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 17 2016
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 114
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trollheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 15:07
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Trollheart Trollheart wrote:

The Jewel disappointed me on first listen.

What about subsequent listens? I think that one and The Window of Life get overshadowed by their more recent albums, but happen to be among their best efforts. 
It did start to grow on me. I used to hate "The Black Knight" but now I quite like it. Still, it didn't have the immediate effect on me that the likes of Not of This World, Believe and the more recent albums had. Even Kowtow, on which I really do not like the second track, I did love at first listen. I think it's the only Pendragon album that hasn't clicked with me first time.
Trollheart: as Irish as losing a 3-0 lead in a must-win fixture!
Back to Top
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: May 22 2007
Location: Michigan, U.S.
Status: Offline
Points: 54756
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 17:17
I had the great fortune of finally getting to see Marillion last year when they did a mini tour of the US.  I think that the Pendies were here in the US a couple of years ago for a festival, but otherwise it is too cost prohibitive for them to play here.  I think that my dream prog concert/festival/weekend would be one involving the UK Neo bands that hardly ever play outside of the English venues and definitely stick to Europe.  A ticket including Pendragon/Arena/Mostly Autumn/Magenta/Frost*/Pallas/Karnataka/Panic Room would be an absolute dream show for me.  Maybe someday the stars will align at a time where I have the time and money to make a trip to London and some of these bands will be performing. 
Back to Top
Trollheart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 17 2016
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 114
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trollheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 17:37
Here's a question: anyone know what that Latin stuff in "Come Back Jack" on Men Who Climb Mountains means? You know the one: "Anomalie Excoria Memorium, to get back home"? Looked up the words but together they don't give me any sense of what Nick was getting at here.
Trollheart: as Irish as losing a 3-0 lead in a must-win fixture!
Back to Top
Trollheart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 17 2016
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 114
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trollheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 17:39
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I had the great fortune of finally getting to see Marillion last year when they did a mini tour of the US.  I think that the Pendies were here in the US a couple of years ago for a festival, but otherwise it is too cost prohibitive for them to play here.  I think that my dream prog concert/festival/weekend would be one involving the UK Neo bands that hardly ever play outside of the English venues and definitely stick to Europe.  A ticket including Pendragon/Arena/Mostly Autumn/Magenta/Frost*/Pallas/Karnataka/Panic Room would be an absolute dream show for me.  Maybe someday the stars will align at a time where I have the time and money to make a trip to London and some of these bands will be performing. 

You have great taste. Some of my favourite bands there (Mostly Autumn, Arena, Frost* etc)!
I saw Marillion twice, both times Fish era. The Fugazi tour in London 1984 and the Misplaced Childhood tour in Dublin 1985. Both shows were stunning. 
Trollheart: as Irish as losing a 3-0 lead in a must-win fixture!
Back to Top
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: May 22 2007
Location: Michigan, U.S.
Status: Offline
Points: 54756
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 18:07
I could add Fish to my list!  Seeing him perform Marillion songs live would be great.
Back to Top
Trollheart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 17 2016
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 114
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trollheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 19:43
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I could add Fish to my list!  Seeing him perform Marillion songs live would be great.
Yes indeed. Do you have Return to Childhood? But sadly he's retired now, isn't he? 
Trollheart: as Irish as losing a 3-0 lead in a must-win fixture!
Back to Top
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 03 2005
Location: Olympus Mons
Status: Offline
Points: 11883
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 20:58
Not Of This World is essential listening for the heart and soul. Not a second wasted on that album. Beyond beautiful.
Pendragon, along with IQ are top tier Prog. Screw the ‘Neo’ tag........
Back to Top
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: October 28 2008
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 8638
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2017 at 23:08
Originally posted by Trollheart Trollheart wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I could add Fish to my list!  Seeing him perform Marillion songs live would be great.

Yes indeed. Do you have Return to Childhood? But sadly he's retired now, isn't he? 


He's retiring from live performances after this forthcoming tour.

Mind you, he has said that before......


In Lazland, life is transient. Prog is permanent.
Back to Top
Trollheart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 17 2016
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 114
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trollheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 04:41
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Not Of This World is essential listening for the heart and soul. Not a second wasted on that album. Beyond beautiful.
Pendragon, along with IQ are top tier Prog. Screw the ‘Neo’ tag........

Absolutely. I do note, however, that the versions shown on the album page here for NOTW doesn't seem to include "A New World", that cool instrumental that follows the acoustic version of "King of the Castle". Perhaps that could be updated, as I feel that track completes the album just perfectly.
Trollheart: as Irish as losing a 3-0 lead in a must-win fixture!
Back to Top
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: September 08 2009
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 765
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 04:56
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Not Of This World is essential listening for the heart and soul. Not a second wasted on that album. Beyond beautiful.

Agreed. What an epic album! Love the little reprises dotted throughout, turning the whole into a spectacular and emotional journey. And then that closing track just sends it into the stratosphere!

Onto another album: It's been a slow grower, but I really like Men Who Climb Mountains now. The chord progression that ends Beautiful Soul (a fantastic song as a whole) and forms the basis for the closing track Netherworld, is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard. Stunning way to modulate between G minor and B major, tonally worlds apart.


Edited by RoeDent - October 12 2017 at 05:00
Back to Top
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 03 2005
Location: Olympus Mons
Status: Offline
Points: 11883
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 08:05
Men Who Climb Mountains has yet to really ‘click’ with me - it’s very good, no doubt, but not one I return to often. Perhaps not often enough...?...
Back to Top
Trollheart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 17 2016
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 114
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trollheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 10:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Men Who Climb Mountains has yet to really ‘click’ with me - it’s very good, no doubt, but not one I return to often. Perhaps not often enough...?...

I don't know. I listened to it three times for review the first time, and the very first time it clicked right off. There's nothing on it that I don't love.
Trollheart: as Irish as losing a 3-0 lead in a must-win fixture!
Back to Top
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 03 2005
Location: Olympus Mons
Status: Offline
Points: 11883
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 15:07
Does anyone else get the similarity between parts of Shane, with parts of Time by Pink Floyd ??? Probably a dumb question......
Back to Top
Trollheart View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: November 17 2016
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 114
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trollheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2017 at 15:30
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Does anyone else get the similarity between parts of Shane, with parts of Time by Pink Floyd ??? Probably a dumb question......

I don't really like "Shane" (always thought it was called "Shame"!) so I don't know. I'll listen to it later maybe and see. I do note though that the boys don't mind ripping a few classics off. Listen to the riffs on "Schizo" and tell me that's not Floyd's "Learning to Fly", and there's a full Supertramp lyric that comes up in one of the songs, can't recall which one: goes "I know what you're thinking, feel what you're feeling, never ever let yourself down". Almost word for word. And then there are the Genesis rip offs from "Firth of fifth" and "Dance on a volcano"....

Trollheart: as Irish as losing a 3-0 lead in a must-win fixture!
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.641 seconds.