Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson Vs. Roine Stolt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 14:56
Steve is a hypocrite. What about that relatively crappy album from '95 where he self-admittedly ripped off Floyd? What about in his latest song Luminol where he clearly uses the same influences that FK and TA use on their albums? This part in particular "here we all are born into a struggle..." sounds just like YES. 

Edited by anesthetize2112 - December 30 2012 at 14:59
liquidmcrex View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 08:05
I think Steven was trying to save something along these lines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voneWBAzobE

Your guys definition of Progressive I think is what is messing this whole thing up. Progressive (no rock) should be an development, evolution of things and ideas taken from the things in the pass. Steven isn't saying his music is progressive in that it is as grandeur and complicated as his forefathers, (although some of it arguably is) he's saying that it has incorporated new ideas and approaches while taking inspiration from the past music. 
                   A lot of you guys also seem to base the quality of music and it's musicians on how technically proficient they are. While some of my favorite musicians are virtuosos, I also love some music which is less complicated but seems to have in some cases more "heart" to it. Also he's been specifically asked about that band, so he specifically talks about them. Sure he comes across as a bit of a dick, and is maybe a bit too blunt. I certainly would have avoided naming specific bands but he clearly feels strong about the subject. 
                        Too many people are stuck in the past, I mean listening to classics/older music is great, but making music replicating that without new ideas is the problem. I mean some of you guys are the kind of people who complain about pop music repeating the same formulas, yet when "Progressive Rock" bands do it you don't criticize them at all. Regardless of whether you like his music he has a point does he not?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 13:51
Originally posted by liquidmcrex liquidmcrex wrote:

I think Steven was trying to save something along these lines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voneWBAzobE

Your guys definition of Progressive I think is what is messing this whole thing up. Progressive (no rock) should be an development, evolution of things and ideas taken from the things in the pass. Steven isn't saying his music is progressive in that it is as grandeur and complicated as his forefathers, (although some of it arguably is) he's saying that it has incorporated new ideas and approaches while taking inspiration from the past music. 
                   A lot of you guys also seem to base the quality of music and it's musicians on how technically proficient they are. While some of my favorite musicians are virtuosos, I also love some music which is less complicated but seems to have in some cases more "heart" to it. Also he's been specifically asked about that band, so he specifically talks about them. Sure he comes across as a bit of a dick, and is maybe a bit too blunt. I certainly would have avoided naming specific bands but he clearly feels strong about the subject. 
                        Too many people are stuck in the past, I mean listening to classics/older music is great, but making music replicating that without new ideas is the problem. I mean some of you guys are the kind of people who complain about pop music repeating the same formulas, yet when "Progressive Rock" bands do it you don't criticize them at all. Regardless of whether you like his music he has a point does he not?
You really need to go back and read through the thread. All this has been covered.
Basically music itself can be progressive in the way its composed and performed. Its totally pointless trying to decide whether thiis is 20% new and 80% old or maybe its 50/50? WhoTF knows anwyay??
There are different definitions of progressive rock. Many see nothing that is remotely 'progressive' about Porcupine Tree and I fully sympathise even though I like them while many also see TFK as much closer to the idea of 'progressive rock' music and even I have to admit they are a long way from being a 'clone band'. I'm a bit sick of this thread now and wish people would drop it quite frankly.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 14:18
Wilson is not a good guitarist, he is good but not a guitar God.

It's only my opinion but Stolt has the fell of Gilmour and Beck etc. he also uses the wah pedal better than anyone, he can play technically but keeps the feel, he can sound like a rock guitarist and suddenly switch to Hacket, blues too. Stolt is born natural to me. More accomplished I dare to say than Gilmour.

He doesn't do lead breaks; he plays tunes. He is a prog guitarist like Hacket. Not a rock guitarist, he plays within tunes like Hacket and others in prog, he doesn't do rythm and leads. Big smile

Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 15:47
not like i can add anything that hasn't already been made clear in this thread but i feel the need to say that Steven WIlson is a pretentious c**t and his music has always bored me incredibly.

sorry, i know this isn't much of a good contribution to discussion but i made the mistake of reading the OP.

Edited by Sumdeus - January 09 2013 at 15:51
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 01:28
Originally posted by Sumdeus Sumdeus wrote:

not like i can add anything that hasn't already been made clear in this thread but i feel the need to say that Steven WIlson is a pretentious c**t and his music has always bored me incredibly.

sorry, i know this isn't much of a good contribution to discussion but i made the mistake of reading the OP.
I think thats fine
personally I find Stolt a raging bore of a musician. Its good we can get these things of our chestsBig smile
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 01:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I think thats fine
personally I find Stolt a raging bore of a musician. Its good we can get these things of our chestsBig smile

lol Richard, it's the naughty corner for you!!!! Time out! Big smile hahahaha!!! You made me laugh haha LOL
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 21:40
Being a 7-year-old exchange, I wonder if things have changed.
I don't follow much in the way of gossip when it comes to anything, even prog Wink, so I don't know if this resolved itself or got worse.

All I know is I enjoy music from both Wilson and Stolt, and I don't care for some music from both Wilson and Stolt.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2013 at 22:14
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

Being a 7-year-old exchange, I wonder if things have changed.
I don't follow much in the way of gossip when it comes to anything, even prog Wink, so I don't know if this resolved itself or got worse.

All I know is I enjoy music from both Wilson and Stolt, and I don't care for some music from both Wilson and Stolt.

Both are outstanding musicians Clap yep Approve
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 13:39

not like i can add anything that hasn't already been made clear in this thread but i feel the need to say that Steven WIlson is a pretentious c**t and his music has always bored me incredibly.sorry, i know this isn't much of a good contribution to discussion but i made the mistake of reading the OP.

I'm not really sure about this. At least as far as his playing ability I think he is rather modest, he's ofter referred to other guitarists as better than him and so on, and that's actually the reason Akerfeldt played the guitar on Storm Corrosion. As far as his writing abilities, I'm not so sure he is so modest.
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 14:56
letting Akerfeldt play guitar on your music only makes you more pretentious :P
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 14:59
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Wilson is not a good guitarist, he is good but not a guitar God.

It's only my opinion but Stolt has the fell of Gilmour and Beck etc. he also uses the wah pedal better than anyone, he can play technically but keeps the feel, he can sound like a rock guitarist and suddenly switch to Hacket, blues too. Stolt is born natural to me. More accomplished I dare to say than Gilmour.

He doesn't do lead breaks; he plays tunes. He is a prog guitarist like Hacket. Not a rock guitarist, he plays within tunes like Hacket and others in prog, he doesn't do rythm and leads. Big smile

@Kati-

is that you in your avatar pic?  just curious.

anyway, i love how the new guy comes in and starts harping about the definition of 'progressive'....classic.
stolt and wilson are both different artists.  who cares?  i'd say that wilson is a lot more user friendly at first where as stilt's music is just jam packed with changes and stuff which takes a while to get into.  i like them both.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2013 at 18:33

letting Akerfeldt play guitar on your music only makes you more pretentious :P

However, I remember someone quoting Wilson saying that Akerfeldt would be the one playing on Storm Corrosion because he was by far the better player.
Jononon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2016 at 13:05
I just got into Stolt and came across this thread in the googles. I think it's worth bringing up how he may have been speaking too soon considering his involvement with Opeth's Heritage and obviously his newest solo work. These have been HIGHLY classically influenced and he's been open about that. Plus he's been churning out classic prog remasters like crazy.
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2016 at 22:43
Ol' Stevie-boy lost my interest years ago.

I believe that he is trying way too hard to be edgy at the moment. SW's constructed personality manifests in his most recent music, and it sounds calculated and empty. Although editing the freely flowing vibes of the soul is essential in many forms of refined music, I feel as if the spirit of the source has been killed in his process. Disingenuous music is off-putting to me, and is simply a waste of time.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2016 at 02:21
Roine has soul.
Wilson is calculated.
I love the work of both equally, though I'd sooner be friends with Roine........
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 21:11
I have German TV interview with SW where he takes about 10 minutes (near as) to agree that P Tree area progressive rock act.

As far as I can tell Flower Kings and Transatlantic play symphonic prog rock. Not really enjoyed athing from SW (except Grace For Drowning) since Nil Recurring. His version of fusion seems not quite in the Al Di Meola standard of (WWWOOOOWWWW) for me. P Tree owe so much to Richard Barbieri.

To be progressive one has to subvert a form (so he is probably right about his choices). Shame I'm not keen on much Tool though I've yet to hear Lateralus. The Mars Volta, probably not my thing but not really heard much - a bit enough for me to say interesting. Radiohead? If he thinks so. Alt rock band (derivative of REM)...

I get much more out of hearing John Coltrane really. e.g. Psalm from A Love Supreme. The menacing tympani versus his sax has more interesting things than anything... oh, you mean prog pop music? Why does "now" have to be important? An older recording could be referenced and heard in a new context...

yesstiles View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2017 at 04:39
Who cares about the word "Progressive?"  Music can be judged on its own merits.

Roine makes gorgeous, uplifting music that swirls and pulses with melody after melody and makes me smile.  I enjoy Porcupine Tree, but it's dark and often cold and frankly doesn't hold a candle to the best Flower Kings music.
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 04:33
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Now, those that read this, what do you think about it? Who's right? Who's wrong?

Steve Wilson is a "tool," in the phallic sense of the word. Roine Stolt does not only have his finger on the pulse of Prog in the 21st century; he is also the heir (or, rather, contemporary) of all the best prog guitarists that have ever graced the genre. Stolt is in an elite company of very few who "communicate" the vibe that is "prog" today...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 05:00
The jury is out on this one - until I hear the next output from Stolt and Wilson.....I have heard that Wilson's new CD will be essentially pop! - That aint progression for me - that's selling out.......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>