Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShadowfax fans?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 15:26
I got to see them on the DOC tour.  I thought I might still have the concert t-shirt but alas it was a casualty of one night many years ago when I had too much to drink and forgot about a load of t's in an apartment washing machine. Embarrassed

RIP to Chuck Greenberg 1950-1995.

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 04 2012 at 15:30
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Gooner View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2012 at 22:12
I'm a big fan of the self titled "Shadowfax" and "Shadowdance".  Cabecaz De Cera sound a bit like Shadowfax.  I discovered them by accident because I thought they had a "neat" name and their album covers were either bleak or spacey.  These guys probably should have been included on the ECM roster...but Windham Hill will do.

Edited by Gooner - August 09 2012 at 22:13
zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 00:58
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

i love this, tks for reminding me they had an LP before their Windham Hill output.  Ordered a copy but got the windham hill LP reissue...........
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 06:13
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Have this on vinyl too. Great album, going to dig it out for a spin....
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 07:16
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Shadowfax was Gandalf's horse! Since he's not around anymore, Gandalf has nothing better to do than make a bunch of silly polls.

Ok, I think this is the funniest thing I've read this morning.
The Mystical View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 16:20
I found a copy of "Esperanto" for four dollars. Should I buy it? Or is it as bad as people make it out to be?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 11:29
Hi,

Love this group in their early days, specially before Chuck left us.

Absolutely lovely stuff, that deserved a lot more credit than it has ever gotten, but again, like so many other bands in here, it gets passed off into a "branch" that no one listens to ... until someone mentions it here ... but the placement, hurts the listening to the work.

All in all, great band, and excellent in concert as well.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 22:51
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Love this group in their early days, specially before Chuck left us.

Absolutely lovely stuff, that deserved a lot more credit than it has ever gotten, but again, like so many other bands in here, it gets passed off into a "branch" that no one listens to ... until someone mentions it here ... but the placement, hurts the listening to the work.

All in all, great band, and excellent in concert as well.

I was lucky to land a copy of Watercourse Way on Passport, and what's funny is that this was in 1983, when they already had 2 more albums on Windham Hill. I knew about the band on WH, but it was a while longer before I realized it was the same band, when I noticed two of the WW tracks were rerecorded on Shadowdance.

Definitely excellent in concert, was able to catch them in February 1985 in West Palm Beach. Much "rockier" than their studio albums suggest; unfortunately they did get lumped as New Age because they were on WH.

Watercourse Way did get reissued by WH, but as I understand it, it was a much different mix that didn't do the original justice.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2013 at 11:42
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Definitely excellent in concert, was able to catch them in February 1985 in West Palm Beach. Much "rockier" than their studio albums suggest; unfortunately they did get lumped as New Age because they were on WH.

Watercourse Way did get reissued by WH, but as I understand it, it was a much different mix that didn't do the original justice.

I am not a great fan of "remixes", that try to make something out of the music that was nto there.

For example: Steven's fooling around with KC's albums did not make it better for me. I had the imagination, the love, the understanding and the vision ... and did not need to have Steven put the guitar here and the microphone there and the bs here and whatever there, and make it a clean mix, to make it better ... in fact, for me it was so damn clinical as to take the "live" aspect out of it all together for me. I always thought, for both KC and Shadowfax, that their more "rock" edge in concert, was mandated by the music company than anything else ... by that time, everyone knew that rock music made big money and everything else didn't!

There is such a thing as ... "time" and "place", and you can not duplicate that time and place, and space! You can try to make it something else, like your interpretation or mine, but in the end, it does not help the work stand up any more than it did then, when IT MADE SENSE ... instead of it just being another rock song for radio, which it wasn't!

I was not a fan of the New Age folks and their hippocrisy ... they were "new age" for an hour playing with crystals and showing how sexy they could be half naked, and then went back to their comfortable lives, not happy, and unsatisfied, and then go to church on Sunday morning, to purge their angers and disappointments, only to go back and try to be cool with a crystal in between the breasts, complete with their image of a tall, dark and handsome, vigorous youth, and hide the frustration and lack of desire/love behind it! And I don't mean sex ... that is another chapter!

Same thing for music. Eno, AshRaTempel, Wolff and Hemmings, Frank Perry, Klaus Schuze, Vangelis, Popol Vuh, Jon Anderson (not Yes!) were so "new age" before it became that ... and the majority of new age folks, were not interested in anything but soaped out stuff that had no soul behind it except your money! Even the "hippest" in Portland, pulled off a huge heist and robbery!

Shadowfax came with me in 1982 when I left Santa Barbara for good. Along with many other albums of great music! 2k LP's all slammed inside a 1968 Plymouth Valiant that by the time it reached Portland/Vancouver, had lost its back wheel bearings due to the weight ... but the music was not going to leave me!

And above all, I never forgot the feeling of hearing it ... and that is something that Steven Wilson, or anyone else, can not remaster, and NEVER WILL! Besides the fact that the ego involved thinks that his ego is better than yours or mine because he can sing about it and comment!

Edited by moshkito - June 16 2013 at 11:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2013 at 04:36
I got the Windham Hill Watercourse Way.  It sounded OK to me.  I was surprised that a label known for mellow new age music would have re-released that album.  On a side note I turned Ivan on to that album.  Turned out his dad it on vinyl and he inherited it.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 17 2013 at 04:38
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12