Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedquestion about the new Anglagard album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: question about the new Anglagard album?
    Posted: August 04 2012 at 18:41
Where can you buy this?  I know wayside had it for like a minute, but now its gone.  Can't seem to find it anywhere else.  I'm especially looking for a stateside distro.... 
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 19:15
Alversdotter records (i.e. the band) was the place to get it but they're sold out now (which would be very recent as I bought it from them last week). I wonder if the entire run has been sold now.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2012 at 20:26
That better not be!  It was never clear to me that it was yet even officially released!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 04:44
I've got it on order from a very reliable supplier (cd services based in Dundee,UK) but they've yet to deliver it. Its getting bloody frustrating to say the least especially after reading all the reviews of people who already have it.
oddentity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 09:55
It has already shot to number 11 on the PA Top Prog Album charts and it still hasn't been officially released yet! 
I was lucky enough to get one of the few copies avaliable from Wayside a few weeks ago.   Hope you guys can get it soon, as it is a fantastic album and truly lives up to the hype. 
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2012 at 13:11
I'm assuming that Wayside will get more in the future, I'd just be nice to have a copy before the end of the year  
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2012 at 04:21
I read on the Alversdotter website that they will get more copies in, but that it'll have a standard digipack case. I guess there was something special about the first run with the packaging, but nothing different as far as track listing or anything.
GentleGiant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2012 at 05:24
http://www.synphonic.8m.com/ .  Greg still has in stock
BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2012 at 13:01
Originally posted by GentleGiant GentleGiant wrote:

http://www.synphonic.8m.com/ .  Greg still has in stock
Yes, and for modest price:
ANGLAGARD - VILJANS OGA (DIGISLEEVE) $20 New studio album and another monster! This is the first pressing which will be unique unto itself. Only a few copies remain so hurry! http://www.myspace.com/anglagardsweden

It's from his today's newsletter, the album is not in his online catalog yet. I guess he just received it. Feel free to contact Greg: [email protected].
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2012 at 17:35
They sold a bunch at Nearfest and the US distributors got some at the same time, apparently there was a printing issue on the next run that was planned for global release and the band nixed the run and made them reprint them to get it right.

I bought my signed numbered copy (19) at Nearfest & it's wonderful.
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2012 at 23:29
Are they going to release the album digitally?
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 11:25
Originally posted by Kestrel Kestrel wrote:

Are they going to release the album digitally?

Apparently not, which seems a tad shortsighted IMO, but it's their choice. I guess we'll just have to be patient a little while longer.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 11:27
^
Good for them!

But yes...it would be nice to be able to buy  this album already.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 17:28
I almost ordered all three of their albums about a week ago from Alversdotter, but the total would have been about $75.  Maybe someday.
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 18:19
Yeah, that's just cost prohibitive. I'm running into the same problem with Magma's Felicite Thosz: $20+ for a 28-minute album? No thanks. Sell it for $9.99 as an mp3 and I will purchase it immediately. Same with Anglagard. I also don't like buying CDs anyway (I only buy vinyl or mp3).
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 18:11
Greg sold out of those quickly, there will be a more numerous pressing soon though, I'll patiently wait for that 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2012 at 14:37
Does anyone know where else the new album might be available?  I'm ready to order, and of course now it's sold out everywhere.  I'm getting impatient, dammit! LOL
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 03:44
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 05:10
My review

nothing more I want to add

5 stars A multiple progressive disorder of beautiful mayhem!

Anglagard has always had a special place in my prog collection after their glorious triumph 'Hybris' in 1992. This album alone deservedly catapulted them to prog legends, especially for releasing the no holds barred prog in a year when prog was struggling to grab a foothold after a decade of regression. I admired Anglagard for holding on to all the things that made prog great; thus keeping the dream alive with complex lengthy song structures, incredible virtuoso musicianship and above all innovative time signatures and creative layered symphonic arrangements.

I was certainly not alone in believing that the band had come to an unceremonious end, but Anglagard have forced reviewers and music connoisseurs to rewrite the history books with "Viljans Oga". Two years after 'Hybris' the band released 'Epilog' and then in 1996 a live album surfaced with 'Buried Alive' and they were never heard from again. However, 2012 is fast becoming a year of prog resurgence with many older bands producing some of the best material heard in years such as Rush, The Flower Kings, and now Anglagard, 18 years later.

The vintage sound is prevalent throughout the glorious 'Ur Vilande', with trademark flute played brilliantly by Anna Homlgren from the original lineup. Mattias Olsson is a master on percussion as always, Johan Brand plays Bass and Taurus, Thomas Johnson is back on Pianos, Mellotrons and synths, Jonas Engdeg'rd returns on Guitars, but there is no Tord Lindman on this new lineup. The instrumental is lengthy but never dreary, featuring some incredible guitar and percussion augmentations. It is a wonderful start to the album and a promise of a masterpiece is looming from the outset. Anglagard are definitely back!

'Sorgmantel' begins with gorgeous flute over musical box chimes, and then woodwind and reflective piano enters the landscape. The sound generated is mystical and comes from a faraway kingdom that fires the imagination. As Brand's bass begins to pulse, swathes of keyboards dominate and then a new time sig with flute and guitar embellishments. The band are tight knowing precisely when to stop and start, and when they move into full flight with all musicians breaking out on their instruments, it is a delight to the ears. The music breaks to allow musicians to showcase their craft, Anna's flute solo chimes over Johnson's swells of keyboard, Brand's bass jumps in and out of Olsson's percussion meters, and then polyrhythmic time sigs are unleashed. Olsson's drums are a celebration of mayhem, and they drive the music along with a passion unheard since Magma's Christian Vander. Engdeg'rd's lead guitar turns aggressive on this, the keyboard runs are frantic, and the flute warbling is intense. This is Anglagard at their heaviest, and they lift to a crescendo of sound and fury.

'Snardom' is a delirious flute driven instrumental with a pounding percussion and layers of keyboards. The beautiful flute is mesmirising as always by Anna, but I love the way it interrelates with the noisier guitars and drums. There are tons of intricate time signatures to revel in, and an incessant heavy blast of staccato musical explosions. It has a King Crimson style rhythm and some undeniably effective sax blasts, creating beautiful mayhem. The bassline is awesome and the way the beat changes almost at will as guitar and flute compete for the spotlight is a stroke of genius. It settles into a dreamscape of flute, piano and acoustic vibrations, that lull me into a state of bliss, almost to the point of tears. It builds back into a haunting melody and it ascends to the stratosphere with high pitched fret work and sustained string bends; it does not get any better than this. I am in awe of this song; really it is a masterpiece of prog, and a throwback to the glorious 70s in every respect.

'Langtans Klocka' begins quietly with piano and an ominous drone. The flute comes in like an angel on wings of gossamer. My heart melts with the exquisiteness of Anna's flute playing. The atmosphere builds with an upbeat bright guitar phrase over jumpy flute and chimes. Eventually Engdeg'rd's heavier guitar crashes in and the time sig is wonderfully irregular. The bass is amazing and it plays off the percussion leading to a passage of xylophone and saxophone, with very odd intricate metrical patterns. The complexity of the music is astonishing, and it soon leads to a segment of melodic guitar playing along with the flute, until a slower pace locks in allowing the flute to pour over the music like honey. Violined guitar and mellotron soaks up the atmosphere and then an outbreak of loud music punches a hole through the fabric. It ends with a grand guignol circus theme similar to the themes on 'Hybris'. There are even some vocal intonations to accentuate the angular circus style. This is weird but deliriously off kilter enough to end the album on an innovative note, with xylophone and glockenspiel thrown in; it is impossible to predict Anglagard's music and that is one of its drawcards.

I cannot believe 'Viljans Oga' is as good as 'Hybris' and yet Anglagard have done it again, and it is one of the greatest albums I have heard in years. The dynamic music is mesmirising and without the vocals of Lindman, it is not marred in any way, perhaps even improved as we can just sit back and have our ears caressed by mindbending musicianship. I actually didn't think this would measure up to Anglagard's masterful 1992 opus, as that is a tall order. I was wrong in every respect. This is a bonafide masterpiece and one of the definitive prog albums of 2012.

ValenceGuitar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 22:04
Oh my lord, NEW ANGLAGARD?!?!?!?!11

Are they not releasing this digitally? 
www.valence.bandcamp.com
www.valence-band.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>