Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Infernal Prog Blog (with Conor Fynes)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Infernal Prog Blog (with Conor Fynes)
    Posted: August 06 2012 at 05:30
I guess some of you will be already familiar with my writing, but I'd like to use this as a more informal way to talk about, and share music. In specific, the 'darker' side of progressive rock. Darkness can be taken to mean many things in a musical context; lyrics, atmosphere, or even scales can bring that feeling of dread to a listener. From my experience as a listener, 'darker' music tends to have a longer-lasting impact. Progressive rock is certainly no stranger to the melancholic, but I find that some of the most haunting music gets overlooked by proggers at large. Although much of the music here will be progressive in nature, what I intend to do is share music of the atmospheric persuasion, regardless of mellotron density or flute solos.

Deathspell Omega - Drought
Arbitrary Darkness Meter: 9 Evils out of 10.

Although I imagine they have received a good share of recognition for their intensely avant-garde style, it seems fitting that I would start things off by presenting one of my favourite bands and their latest material. For those who haven't heard Deathspell Omega, it's not something I would be inclined to recommend right away, unless they have an ear for black metal and chaos. I wrote a review for this new EP "Drought" and was pleasantly blown away. It may not quite knock the immortal "Fas - Ite, Maledicti in Ignem Aeturnum" (also by DSO) off its block as my favourite black metal release, but it really demonstrates a development in what these guys do. It sounds ridiculous to say, but this arguably the cleanest sounding Deathspell have ever been. They are still wildly technical, but they've reined in the avant-garde compositions a bit. There's lots of dissonance and bizarreness to digest in the 21 minutes, but Deathspell's more focused approach makes every minute of the music feel relevant somehow. It's not going to sit well with everyone's ears, but I feel inclined to call this the best release I've heard thus far this year. It may have achieved a full 10/10 Evils, but some pesky melodies might give the listener a sense of hope towards the end.

Edited by Conor Fynes - August 06 2012 at 05:36
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 21:58
Hey Conor i'll be watching this. I must admit i'm not into Death Metal or anything too extreme but look forward to your thoughts. Okay the truth is you got my attention when you mentioned mellotron density.LOL
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 22:03
I'm going to lurk on this as well.  Know very little about extreme metals but will dip my toe.  

Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2012 at 23:34
wooo DSO

can mean Deathspell Omega or Diablo Swing Orchestra. Both are very good.
Sheavy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2012 at 15:20
Good blog idea. I shall be dropping in.
Cloud Forest View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 05:59
nice. 

All Hail Geddy Lee!

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 06:07
Excellent idea, looking forward to it. Have heard relatively little Deathspell Omega so this will be great
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 17:32
Here's another one, I bought this album about a week ago. While the album as a whole isn't stellar, it's undeniable that there is an incredible, unique atmosphere going on with it.

Blut Aus Nord - Odinist
Arbitrary Darkness Meter: 7 Evils out of 10.

Blut Aus Nord are a French band, and- like Deathspell Omega- they take a pretty experimental, dark approach to the black metal sound. However, I think the end result is pretty different. While Deathspell Omega is incredibly technical and dissonant, Blut Aus Nord takes a more- I daresay 'laid back' approach to their sound. There's still that destructive sense of dread here, but there's less happening all at once. It should be noted that Blut Aus Nord takes a decidedly cold approach to the way they produce their music. Although the vocals are fairly garbled, the guitars and drums are incredibly precise, with the drums particularly coming off as mechanical. However, I don't think this is the result of the band simply not having the opportunity to use 'live drums'; they aloof, almost dead sound distances the music from anything remotely human. It's like an existential robot is imbittered with hatred for humans, and decided to write black metal.
JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 04:00
I much prefer these blokes to Deathspell. Not sure what it is.

Also I have to agree with you that the drums are really strange in this.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 04:07
I have been cheating on metal for a good decade with electronic and psychedelic music, but I may well be ready for a good make-up thrashing. Perhaps this is the place to go...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Earendil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2012 at 18:53
That's the first time I've actually listened to Deathspell.  It sounds really freaking good.
 Post Reply Post Reply