FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaking room for the Human Equation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 06:19
I cant believe Human Equation is out of the top 100!

Its an Injustice!!!!
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 06:25
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

Is it really that much better than Ayreon's other albums?
I have the Universal Migrator I & II, and that 01001010 album, and while they are ok, I just can't get excited about them enough to listen to over and over.
I take it Human Equation is better?

I'd say it is. I'm not an Arjen Lucassen fanboy either, though I do love some of his music.
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 06:30
H8rs gonna h8, Ayreon is amazing. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 12:36
Since the number of albums in the PA database has grown considerably since the idea of the Top 100 was first thought of, all we need to do (and it's perfectly logical to do so) is make it bigger - a simple increase of 10% would see THE in the chart. Problem solved. Approve
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 12:46
Casey Kasem here with your American top 44!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 12:52
...see how catchy that is ... you know it makes sense.

Look how easier "The Top One-Ten" is on the tongue than "The Top One-Hun-dred", it's positively lyrical by comparison.
What?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 13:01
This thread triggered me into listening to the album during work. Can't say it left the lasting impression now that it has been lacking for years. If it's not in the top 100, it's probably for a reason. Not bad, but not Top 100 material either.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 14:22
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

I cant believe Human Equation is out of the top 100!

Its an Injustice!!!!

OMG! Contact Amnesty International ASAP.

Amnesty International | Working to Protect Human Equation Rights

Just a fanboy passin' through.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 15:54
This thread resurrected after some months in the limbo. When I started it my idea was to see which albums people would have removed (if any) from the top 100 to make room to this one, not if it really deserves to stay in the top 100 or not. Honestly there aren't many albums which I would personally see out of the list. I don't even know what is currently in the list. 

I have to admit that usually my threads and polls don't gain much success. I hope that at least my reviews are better. Embarrassed

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 07:39
I thought the top 100 was constantly updated, but since Sounds that can't be made has a mark that puts it in the top 100 but is not there yet, I understand it is more than mathematical calculations ? Were all of the top 100 albums handpicked by the PA staff ? 
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 07:41
It's not. The score is not the only parameter. The algorithm is based also on the total number of reviews and ratings otherwise an album with just one 5 stars rating would be top 1.

It's automatic and periodically updated. To be honest I don't know the details, but it's all mathematical stuff.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 07:57

[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Chozal Chozal wrote:

I thought the top 100 was constantly updated, but since Sounds that can't be made has a mark that puts it in the top 100 but is not there yet, I understand it is more than mathematical calculations ? Were all of the top 100 albums handpicked by the PA staff ? 

No, it's more complicated than that:
  • Rank of an album: We use a calculation that compare an album average rating and number of ratings over all others albums in the query using this theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighted_average)
     to create a variable every query "QWR" (AKA: Query Weighted Rating) use for ordering.
    This QWR value is different to the average rating value (and is shown below the average in the chart).

Marillion's "Sounds That Can't Be Made" has an average of 3.83 but a QWR value of 3.8129 and therefore puts it at #38 in the Top 100 of 2012 for example, two places higher than Thinking Plague even though "Decline and Fall" has a higher average rating (its QWR is lower):

3.83 | 133 ratings
QWR = 3.8129

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?syears=2012

With an average as low as 3.83 or a QWR as low as 3.8129 Sounds That Can't Be Made will never enter the all-time Top 100.

Edited by Dean - September 26 2012 at 07:58
What?
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 08:21
Thanks for the quick answer :)

As for Human Equation, I think it suffers from the Lucassen 2-disc disease : some great passages, but too much stuff overall.
And the lyrics. =(
The Infinite Progability Drive, feeding you daily progressive/weird music for just a like <3
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2012 at 10:34
I think it's a great rating system. Best you can really do anyway.

Meanwhile....my thoughts turn to that human equation album. I gotta say it's lyrically brilliant. The entire story makes total lucid sense and track by track you uncover the mystery of what's going to happen from the moment he crashes his car to the time he fights to wake up. TRAUMA is easily my favourite track on this album. ERIC CLAYTON as REASON is so fitting and brilliant. My favourite character. 👊
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 12:41

Thanks for the quick answer :)

As for Human Equation, I think it suffers from the Lucassen 2-disc disease : some great passages, but too much stuff overall.
And the lyrics. =(

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

This thread triggered me into listening to the album during work. Can't say it left the lasting impression now that it has been lacking for years. If it's not in the top 100, it's probably for a reason. Not bad, but not Top 100 material either.

It's a grower, people. I know some can digest 2 hours of new music in the blink of a eye, but amazingly most can't and they still review it saying "ZOMG, DIS ALBOM EEZ 2 LOWNG". Meh, I still think highly about it.

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Dunno - are there 8 Miles Davis albums in the Top 100?

That guy's amazing, even though most of his album are 0% related to prog. He can stay there, for all I care, all should know Miles! Interestingly enough, his 'prog' albums aren't on the yop 100, which is a shame.

Edited by CCVP - September 27 2012 at 12:46
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 16:41
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

It's a grower, people. I know some can digest 2 hours of new music in the blink of a eye, but amazingly most can't and they still review it saying "ZOMG, DIS ALBOM EEZ 2 LOWNG". Meh, I still think highly about it

I listened to the whole album a bunch of times over a month or two ... It probably deserves another chance, but there is so much music that I get excited about that I often forget to re-spin things like The Human Equation (when I do, it's mostly for classic albums that I did really overlook, like A Passion Play).

I still have a problem with the pot-pourri aesthetics of Lucassen. He has done some absolutely brilliant tracks (Life on Mars, Amazing Flight, The Awareness, Isolation ...) but never done a absolutely brilliant album imo.

I'm listening to some stuff from The Human Equation atm and I think the main problem I have with it is the lyrics : it's much too narrative for my taste =\

EDIT : Ok listening to it again, I should get back to it once more.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 16:59
I think that also Actual Fantasy revisited deserves more attention. About THE Heather Findlay's voice is enough to make me love the album and thare's a lot more. Day sixteen for example.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 18:41
Keep in mind that the lyrics need to sound overly narrative. That's the whole point and structure to this album. I really don't find it daunting to listen to because the story is just so great, so really I can sit with it for 2 hrs easy. It's a brilliant album and ARYEON's best album, in my opinion. 👌
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2012 at 19:12

Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

It's a grower, people. I know some can digest 2 hours of new music in the blink of a eye, but amazingly most can't and they still review it saying "ZOMG, DIS ALBOM EEZ 2 LOWNG". Meh, I still think highly about it

I listened to the whole album a bunch of times over a month or two ... It probably deserves another chance, but there is so much music that I get excited about that I often forget to re-spin things like The Human Equation (when I do, it's mostly for classic albums that I did really overlook, like A Passion Play).

I still have a problem with the pot-pourri aesthetics of Lucassen. He has done some absolutely brilliant tracks (Life on Mars, Amazing Flight, The Awareness, Isolation ...) but never done a absolutely brilliant album imo.

I'm listening to some stuff from The Human Equation atm and I think the main problem I have with it is the lyrics : it's much too narrative for my taste =\

EDIT : Ok listening to it again, I should get back to it once more.

Seriously, an album, any album, takes at least months if not years to be propperly appreciated. I stand correctly.
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2012 at 05:44
It is at 111 now. BUT Sieges Even's The Art of Navigating by the Stars is 181 and in my humble opinion that should be higher than any Ayreon album...sorry guys.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>