Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVideo formats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: which is your prefered format?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
2 [12.50%]
8 [50.00%]
4 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video formats
    Posted: August 09 2012 at 23:09
VHS for me. Got over 100 :D
Barah86 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 03:38
Come on we all love the old VHS but the quality is bad... 1080p Blu Ray movies looks amazing on my tv and sounds best so i'll go with that.
Death seed blind man's greed
Poets' starving children bleed
Nothing he's got he really needs
Twenty first century schizoid man.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 03:43
I do have many VHS tapes, but the quality is  horrible. DVD for me, until  I get a blueray player I suppose.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 05:52
The difference between DVD and Bluray for me is meaningless due to the quality of my eye sight, so I won't rush to upgrade.

I can still get by on VHS - I like its durability when compared to some disks. Aside from the dust etc VHS seems more sturdy - when I drop a cassette it doesn't scratch. Also, most VHS casing doesn't have the fault of DVD casing, which seems to encourage cracks in the disc, especially when you don't feel like putting a plastic imprint in your thumb to remove the DVD. Having said that I've only cracked 2 DVDs in quite a few years, though I've cracked 0 VHS in longer.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 06:43
Blu-ray is pretty much a failure, 6 years since it's launch and it hasn't really taken off even though many people have HD TVs. Winning formats are usually very quickly adopted and this isn't the case for blu-ray.

I'll stick with DVD just because but I use hard disc recording most of the time.
What?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 07:50
I only started buying video stuff when I finally had a TV home in the early 00's... So i kind of missed the VHS-Betamax revolution (though I do have a tape deck as well for recording purposes (I find DVD-r recording too f.Censored..g complicated)
Sooo I started buying (and sometimes renting/borrowing) DVDs (90% music-related), but will probably/certainly not up-grade to Blu-Ray.

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

The difference between DVD and Bluray for me is meaningless due to the quality of my eye sight, so I won't rush to upgrade.  

Yeah, I don't find the difference meaningful enough to splurge on a new video & screen system... my TV is still the 4/3 cathodic tube format, and I like it just fine that way.... Don't feel tempted to go flat screen either.... I can watch my old 4/3 from almost any angle (except from behind the set)... Sooo I won't hurry, either...  And since BluRay is not a success (I'm kind of surprised by Dean's information), then it'll probably be dead by the time I'll have to change my video system.

the problem with VHS is that  quality new material is rather hard to come by... GF works entirely on VHS (big taper), and if averagequality new cassettes are still available, the choice of VHS deck is really minimal and low... 

Edited by Sean Trane - August 10 2012 at 07:58
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 07:57
^Non compressed audio on Bluray.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2012 at 19:06
.mkv
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2012 at 01:19
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I only started buying video stuff when I finally had a TV home in the early 00's... So i kind of missed the VHS-Betamax revolution (though I do have a tape deck as well for recording purposes (I find DVD-r recording too f.Censored..g complicated)
Sooo I started buying (and sometimes renting/borrowing) DVDs (90% music-related), but will probably/certainly not up-grade to Blu-Ray.

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Yeah, I don't find the difference meaningful enough to splurge on a new video & screen system... my TV is still the 4/3 cathodic tube format, and I like it just fine that way.... Don't feel tempted to go flat screen either.... I can watch my old 4/3 from almost any angle (except from behind the set)... Sooo I won't hurry, either...  And since BluRay is not a success (I'm kind of surprised by Dean's information), then it'll probably be dead by the time I'll have to change my video system.

the problem with VHS is that  quality new material is rather hard to come by... GF works entirely on VHS (big taper), and if averagequality new cassettes are still available, the choice of VHS deck is really minimal and low... 

Yeah, new VHS is hard to come by here. BluRay did better than HD DVD at least Wink
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2012 at 14:00
8mm and 16mm.
I have my own little cinema room.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2012 at 14:02
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Blu-ray is pretty much a failure, 6 years since it's launch and it hasn't really taken off even though many people have HD TVs. Winning formats are usually very quickly adopted and this isn't the case for blu-ray.

I'll stick with DVD just because but I use hard disc recording most of the time.

Maybe it's different in Europe, but everybody I know has mostly blu-ray in their collection here
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2012 at 14:10
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Maybe it's different in Europe, but everybody I know has mostly blu-ray in their collection here

Not sure i would call it a failure. Blu'ray is widely available. Players are getting cheaper as are the discs. I  don't own one yet but it is not beyond reason that one day I will. But until  I get a HD TV there is  no point.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2012 at 14:21
6 years of Blu Ray? Already? I think having noticed their existence only since a couple of years.
On the other hand, I only have ten (10) DVDs...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2012 at 14:47
Sure there are differences between the USA, Japan and Europe - the main difference is NTSC and PAL - compared to NTSC Blu-ray is a big improvement, but the comparison to PAL isn't as great, PAL is already high(ish) definition, especially when viewed on our (on average) smaller format TVs. When I first visited the states I was taken aback by how "low-res" NTSC was. [for the technically minded NTSC is 525 lines, PAL is 625 while blu-ray is 720 or 1080 ... as you can imagine, the jump from 525 to 720 is marked while from 625 to 720 will be less noticable]. While the NTSC market is large, the PAL market is larger.

But blu-ray hasn't surpassed or replaced DVD in 6 years so I doubt that it never will, the only reason blu-ray is in many homes is because it snuck-in on the back of the PS-3 - Sony won the HD format battle but hasn't won the won the format war.

Now it looks like it will be suffering serious competition from internet video streaming on demand from services such as Netflix and LoveFilm.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2012 at 14:50

But do they have more blu-ray discs than DVDs? Are they looking at replacing their DVD collection with blu-ray? Have they stopped buying DVDs and only buy blu-ray? Have they sold their DVD players on eBay or are they still wired into their home entertainment system?
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2012 at 15:16
I have tons of blurays but even more dvds. There's just more of what I like available in dvd (documentaries, obscure classics and horror movies like Hammer films and many more). For recent movies I always buy the blu but for older ones sometimes it doesn't even pay off (an old b/w movie in blu ray looks just slightly better than on dvd, if it actually does, especially if you have a tv or blu ray or receiver that can upconvert properly). 

Blu ray will be the last physical format. Just as with audio, I'm not following the streaming train. 
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2012 at 15:59
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Not sure i would call it a failure. Blu'ray is widely available. Players are getting cheaper as are the discs. I  don't own one yet but it is not beyond reason that one day I will. But until  I get a HD TV there is  no point.

Every video formats is due to disappear or become a archive format, it's not that it is a failure, but that it's replace by another format. I am sure will see a improvement of the Blu-Ray or something with a new name, can't stop technology. In the meantime, i keep my favorites VHS and DVD and buy the Blu-Ray if it's available. It's true that  the Blu-Ray has made his entry slowly and still not the universal format, because not everyone has the equipment, but no one can argue that it's the ideal format if you have the home cinema with the giant screen. There is so many alternative to watch movies on line now that, the future of the Blu-Ray and all formats are in danger.

Edited by rdtprog - August 11 2012 at 18:58
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 00:35
I own a blu-ray player and only one blu-ray disk. But I have a lot of DVDs so I guess thats what I prefer.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 18:41
sh*t, i forgot Laserdisc!
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2012 at 20:15
Blu-ray are only good if you have a great setup. DVDs are better for everything else. I have ISO rips of all my DVDs and Blu-rays as well which are nice as well. I think it's something like 3 terabytes of movies on my NAS; about 600 movies all together. LOL
I'd say DVD since is the most compatible and gives decent quality. 

And LOL VHS. God those things were awful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>