Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVideo formats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: which is your prefered format?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
2 [12.50%]
8 [50.00%]
4 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 11:30
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

But blu-ray hasn't surpassed or replaced DVD in 6 years so I doubt that it never will

Now it looks like it will be suffering serious competition from internet video streaming on demand from services such as Netflix and LoveFilm.

Couple of interesting points there -

I've worked for a large film company for 8 years now in the home entertainment side (ie video/DVD/BluRay etc); when I first joined, VHS was in the process of being elbowed out by DVD & that format is no longer being manufactured, let alone sold... then in came BluRay. Over the last 5 years or so, DVD & BR have happily sold side by side with BluRay by no means outselling DVD (quite the opposite, in fact).

So far as sales are concerned, these are definitely dropping on the physical medium side as many switch to the streaming sites; definite comparison to CD vs Downloads, I'd say.

Personally - I do prefer BluRay; to my aging eyes, looks better, sounds better (not quite the difference between VHS/DVD, but still a large improvement).

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 13:00
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

But blu-ray hasn't surpassed or replaced DVD in 6 years so I doubt that it never will

Now it looks like it will be suffering serious competition from internet video streaming on demand from services such as Netflix and LoveFilm.

Couple of interesting points there -

I've worked for a large film company for 8 years now in the home entertainment side (ie video/DVD/BluRay etc); when I first joined, VHS was in the process of being elbowed out by DVD & that format is no longer being manufactured, let alone sold... then in came BluRay. Over the last 5 years or so, DVD & BR have happily sold side by side with BluRay by no means outselling DVD (quite the opposite, in fact).

So far as sales are concerned, these are definitely dropping on the physical medium side as many switch to the streaming sites; definite comparison to CD vs Downloads, I'd say.

Personally - I do prefer BluRay; to my aging eyes, looks better, sounds better (not quite the difference between VHS/DVD, but still a large improvement).

Yes, this is born out by the published figures, though the industry tends to put a spin on it to make it all sound buoyant - "57% increase in Blu-ray sales" proclaimed the headlines in 2011.... when what that meant was €1 in every €12 spent on disc media was on blu-ray whereas the year before it was €1 in every €16... in a market where total sales had dropped by 8.3% over the year.

In Europe in 2011 77% of household owned a DVD player compared to 3% who owned a Blu-ray (including all those "stealth" sales via the PS-3).... i.e. 25 times more DVD players than Blu-ray - the figures also show that the average price per blu-ray disc was €18.32 compared to €10.58 for DVD. (Sorry Eugene - maybe you can find some titles cheaper on Blu-ray but when you add up the total revenue and divide that by the total number of titles sold then the averages do not reflect that - cheap DVDs are still cheaper than cheap blu-rays)

Putting all that lot together ... 25 times more people are spending 12 times more on a product that is roughly half as expensive ... or basically the number of titles sold per machine is the same regardless of the format.

If blu-ray was "taking off" or replacing DVD I would have expected those figures to have been radically different, even in a declining market.

What?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 13:14
How long did it take DVD to pass VHS?
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 13:17
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

How long did it take DVD to pass VHS?
DVD was introduced on 1995 - sales of DVD passed VHS in 2002 - so 7 years, VHS was discontinued in 2005. Blu-ray isn't even close after 6 years.

/edit - I suspect that VHS held out for that long because it was easier for recording broadcast programming than DVD-R - had HDD appeared earlier it would have demised earlier.

/edit 2- checking up, it seems that HDD recorders were complace by 2003 - they were probably the final nail in the VHS coffin.

Edited by Dean - August 15 2012 at 13:28
What?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 14:00
I would say that's a pretty good benchmark and that the VHS to DVD conversion should have experienced more inertia than the DVD to Blu Ray.

The one factor I could see having a demonstrable affect would be time of use. How long were VHSs prominently used before the introduction of DVDs? I think that's relevant. People may be more reluctant to switch to a new media unless a certain sort of critical time has passed since the previous conversion.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 15:08
It looks better, and nowadays costs marginally more. The machines themselves have dropped in price considerably. If you have a HD tv and like to watch movies in disc with good quality, I don't see any reason not to upgrade (provided you have the means to do it, of course).
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 16:25
Goddamn, I'm not going to buy a new machine every year just to watch Transformers 3 in a "Brand New Awesome" format, would it be called NVD4, MP5+1, Gold-Ray or other rubbish name! Angry

And I'm not drunk.

Not today.

Edited by CPicard - August 15 2012 at 16:26
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 18:15
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I would say that's a pretty good benchmark and that the VHS to DVD conversion should have experienced more inertia than the DVD to Blu Ray.

The one factor I could see having a demonstrable affect would be time of use. How long were VHSs prominently used before the introduction of DVDs? I think that's relevant. People may be more reluctant to switch to a new media unless a certain sort of critical time has passed since the previous conversion.
We can speculate a number of possible explanations, I suspect the only thing time adds to is the size of each users existing library - which makes it increasingly harder to change to a new format, so there would be a trade-off between cost of investment in the hardware against cost of investment in the software

I certainly have a minidisc recorder/player and a zip-drive media player stored away in the attic and they came and went very quickly with very little (read: no) investment in pre-recorded media to play on them. 8-track machines and digital cameras that used Compact Flash or SmartMedia memory cards (and more recently Olympus xD cards), iPods with micro-drives and PCs with Bernoulli Boxes and Hifi with DAT tapes - all of those were superseded long before any critical time period had passed or any user libraries had been accumulated.

What is evident is that with each successful change to a new media (whether that's Compact Cassette, DVD or 3½" floppy discs) there has often been one characteristic of that media that's made it more attractive than what existed before, and that was not necessarily the most obvious characteristic or the one the designers and marketing people expected it to be. The winning word is 'application' - each had one killer application that made it more desirable (but not necessarily better) than what went before - Blu-ray doesn't have that - all it offers is higher definition (and as I've said, in Europe that not a big improvement, it's slight improvement), but to all intents and purposes it's just an expensive form of DVD in a different box - to most consumers it's the difference between hardback and paperback books.
What?
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 01:43
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Goddamn, I'm not going to buy a new machine every year just to watch Transformers 3 in a "Brand New Awesome" format, would it be called NVD4, MP5+1, Gold-Ray or other rubbish name! Angry

And I'm not drunk.

Not today.

Oh no, you don't have any money left after you bought your new mobile phone, ipod, blueberry etc....
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 02:15

Blu-ray doesn't have that - all it offers is higher definition (and as I've said, in Europe that not a big improvement, it's slight improvement), but to all intents and purposes it's just an expensive form of DVD in a different box - to most consumers it's the difference between hardback and paperback books

I'd disagree the difference isn't all that marked; I do find BR to be considerably higher quality, both in picture quality and sound than DVDs - I don't have a top of the range player, I don't have a top of the range TV, so it's not that (maybe my aging eyes just want to see an improvement, so they're telling me it's better, but I don't think so).

Another improvement (which I was very sceptical about) is the better picture I get on existing DVDs when played on the BR machine (upscaling - another useless word for the dictionary); not a huge amount, but again, noticeable.

Where BR does fall down (and this is not a fault in the technology, but the manufacturing) is on occasion where I've bought an older film (eg The Usual Suspects) on BR, the transfer hasn't been done very well at all & instead of high definition, all you get is more noticeable grain. It is well worth reading reviews if you are buying an older movie on BR to make sure it's been transferred well.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 03:50

Blu-ray doesn't have that - all it offers is higher definition (and as I've said, in Europe that not a big improvement, it's slight improvement), but to all intents and purposes it's just an expensive form of DVD in a different box - to most consumers it's the difference between hardback and paperback books

I'd disagree the difference isn't all that marked; I do find BR to be considerably higher quality, both in picture quality and sound than DVDs - I don't have a top of the range player, I don't have a top of the range TV, so it's not that (maybe my aging eyes just want to see an improvement, so they're telling me it's better, but I don't think so). 
Not saying it isn't noticable or better, it's just not that great ... all I was intending to show is the difference between USA and Europe - going from NTSC to HDTV is a bigger step than going from PAL to HDTV which could explain the bigger uptake of Blu-ray in the USA compared to Europe (15% of US households vs 3% in the EU). The only thing Blu-ray has going for it is this improved resolution, and it seems that was not enough to convince the buying public to switch en mass to the new format - people are happy watching DVD quality films (and how far do you get in a film before you stop noticing picture quality?).
What?
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 05:58

Not saying it isn't noticable or better, it's just not that great ... all I was intending to show is the difference between USA and Europe - going from NTSC to HDTV is a bigger step than going from PAL to HDTV which could explain the bigger uptake of Blu-ray in the USA compared to Europe (15% of US households vs 3% in the EU). The only thing Blu-ray has going for it is this improved resolution, and it seems that was not enough to convince the buying public to switch en mass to the new format - people are happy watching DVD quality films (and how far do you get in a film before you stop noticing picture quality?).

Why the film industry waste any money producing Blu-Ray products if people are not switching to this format?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 06:10
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Why the film industry waste any money producing Blu-Ray products if people are not switching to this format?

They're already set up to do so & the production cost of a BluRay is virtually the same as a DVD once the initial investment's been made; not sure what it is at the moment, but a couple of years ago the actual cost of manufacturing an individual DVD was only around 15/20p

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 06:24
If you  have a huge TV...I mean massive, then the difference is far more noticable. Or at least the limitations of DVD are. Plus bluray has lossless audio which some people swear by.

Also Bluray has far more extras, which are not being put on DVd's these days. The release of far fewer 2 disc DVd's attests to this. If you want specual editions, it has to be Blu ray now. I feel that bluray will slowly take over, but DVD will also exist for a long time to come. As you can play DVDs in a BR machine this is enevitable.

Edited by Snow Dog - August 16 2012 at 06:27
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 06:28

Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

They're already set up to do so & the production cost of a BluRay is virtually the same as a DVD once the initial investment's been made; not sure what it is at the moment, but a couple of years ago the actual cost of manufacturing an individual DVD was only around 15/20p
Mainly it's down to the amount of cash Sony has invested in the format. Having lost the BetaMax format war they are determined never to lose again (which is why they bought Columbia and MGM). They lost money on every PS3 sold because the Blu-ray drive was so expensive to manufacture, [OEM blu-ray drives are 3 times more expensive than dual-layer DVD drives, this is why they are not catching on in the PC market]. Sony took this calculated gamble because they needed to get as many players into households as quickly as possible so they could sell the Blu-ray discs and recoup their costs - piggy-backing off the game console was an easy way of doing that - unfortunalety the Wii and Xbox360 were too competitive.

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 06:41
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

If you  have a huge TV...I mean massive, then the difference is far more noticable. Or at least the limitations of DVD are. Plus bluray has lossless audio which some people swear by.
Without getting into ABX double-blind testing it's all subjective anyway, Lossless doesn't necessarily mean better (which is why there are so many lossless foramts out there).

Also Bluray has far more extras, which are not being put on DVd's these days. The release of far fewer 2 disc DVd's attests to this. If you want specual editions, it has to be Blu ray now. I feel that bluray will slowly take over, but DVD will also exist for a long time to come. As you can play DVDs in a BR machine this is enevitable.
Does anyone watch the extras? I mean really watch them.... I watched Robert Rodriguez demonstrate how to make puerco pibil off the One Upon A Time In Mexico DVD once, then I don't buy a film for the extras anyway, I buy a film to watch the film.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 07:43

Without getting into ABX double-blind testing it's all subjective anyway, Lossless doesn't necessarily mean better (which is why there are so many lossless foramts out there). 
I realise this. Which is why I said some people.

Does anyone watch the extras? 

Yes

Edited by Snow Dog - August 16 2012 at 07:47
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 07:47
I used to watch the extras all the time; for example, some of them on the Lord Of The Rings extended sets were genuinely interesting as were those on Saving Private Ryan, Gettysburg (the older one, not the new TV one) & Schindler's List - the problem is, especially when you're dealing with technical & CGI led movies, the extras tend to tell you how it was all put together - it's like watching a really impressive magic trick, then the magician shows you how it was done; takes away the magic, somehow.

Generally now, I'm not too worried about them (nice to have if you want them though)

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123