Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPC-72 here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: PC-72 here
    Posted: August 14 2012 at 15:50
Greetings!

I registered all the way back in December, but due to almost impossible absent-mindedness, I [inexplicably] haven't thought of posting until now! I've been hanging around the main site reading reviews of things from time to time and lurking some posts around the forum, but I haven't delved too deeply into the forum yet. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about music (aside from very specific things), nor am I usually found listening to an incredible variety, but it seems that all of the music I ever listen to (and discover to be listenable to) belongs within the progressive rock continuum! I cannot escape being hooked on the 70s' prog treasure.

I used to be an exclusively instrumental music person, and to some extent I still highly favour instrumental music, but Magma has done its part on turning me away from eschewing singing. I only started exploring music in 2007, as that was when I had finally found Oxygène again. It's a long and convoluted story, but when I was a kid in Russia, we had this mix tape of various instrumental electronic music. Some excerpts of Oxygène (parts 2 and 4) had found their way onto it, but I had no idea what it was called or who had made it, and at some point the tape was lost--much to my despair, being highly fond of Oxygène. 10 years later, in 2007, by a stroke of sheer luck after long and near-obsessive searching, I ran into Oxygène again, this time identified with its name and artist (Jean Michel Jarre). Another long story short, I explored its more recent developments and then finally started heading back. An encounter with Klaus Schulze (specifically Moondawn) led me to discovering the so-called "Berlin School"--Michael Hoenig's "Departure from the Northern Wasteland" completed my indoctrination, and eventually I found myself facing the progenitors themselves--Tangerine Dream. It took me a whole year to comprehend Phaedra, but when I did, there was no turning back.

I became hooked on Tangerine Dream and managed to pass it on to a friend of mine--who returned the favour and introduced me to Magma. It took almost two years, though, before I finally--and through sheer accident--got into Magma. And there was no turning back here, either; I got zeuhled away for good, although I've been finding myself having a hard time appreciating non-Magma zeuhl.

All in all, it's been a long, perilous, but ultimately rewarding journey. Along the way I've been accidentally (and otherwise) discovering many other gems that would later become valuable additions (including, perhaps obviously, Mike Oldfield and ye olde Pinke Floyde) to my [ever-growing] vinyl (and tape!) collection, but I'll spare you all the drivel and cut this post short before I get carried away again.

My favourite prog bands are--absolutely unquestionably--Tadream and Magma. Magma and Tangerine Dream. (Order irrelevant.) The top three albums I value beyond anything else would be--in this order--"Phaedra" (the Tangs), "Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh" (Magma) and "Oxygène" (Jean Michel Jarre). The two latter ones, however, find themselves in constant competition with certain other incredible works such as Magma's Köhntarkösz and Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré. One thing is certain, though, and it's that Phaedra will probably never be dethroned. I've developed an almost religious fondness for that album for a vast variety of reasons.

What else to add... I also compose things, both on my own and with my band "Tidal Force". Sadly, none of my own solo compositions have--yet!--been played by live players and physical instruments, making all that are currently available on the Internet little else than polished demoes (which are all performed by a computer sequencer).

If there's anything I forgot to add, feel free to point it out or ask questions! And greetings once more!
A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2012 at 20:30
Welcome! Nice list of bands mentioneed there. Thumbs Up
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 03:32
Great to have you
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 11:16
Welcome
I have listened quite a bit of Tangerine Dream and Jean-Michel Jarre.  Phaedra is an excellent choice of TD, Tangram and Force Majuere are some others I like.

Once again, welcome!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 11:43
Magma's my favorite too.  Though Earth & Fire are gaining on them.

Enjoy yer time here! Big smile
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
PC-72 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2014 at 23:35
I'm back!

Instead of making a new post, I'm resurrecting the old one! I never got around to thanking you guys for the welcomes, anyway.

But yes, it's me, same old, back from being gone for no other reason than absent-mindedness.

Since my first intro post I've [arguably] broadened my musical horizons some more (using PA as a reference for some of them, no less)--both as a listener and as a composer--but Magma and the Tangs remain essentially deities!
A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.
 Post Reply Post Reply