Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArriving Somewhere...A Steven Wilson Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arriving Somewhere...A Steven Wilson Thread
    Posted: August 15 2012 at 22:54

I turned up nothing about a topic devoted to Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson that wasn't a poll in PA's search engine, so here's a thread we all can use to appreciate the music of PT/Steven Wilson. Those that don't like the music please move along. This page is for discussing the music and not used as a pedestal for negative commentary. Now, let's get chatting...

I'll get the ball rolling here: what do think is the most successful album of Steven Wilson's career thus far?
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 23:35
I think In Absentia is PT at their peak.   There's a couple of tunes in the middle I sometimes skip, but the rest of it is flawless, and endlessly exciting.  I also really like Lightbulb Sun, probably a very close 2nd.

Honorable mention for SW's solo album Grace for Drowning, too.  I think it's one of the best things he's done, though I still don't feel like I've got a firm handle on the album yet.  
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 00:08
I hope to get more familiar with SW's music. I bought most of PT's albums today along with SW's Grace For Drowning and his collaboration with Akerfeldt, Storm Corrosion. I've heard nothing but great things about Fear For A Blank Planet and I loved the song Aesthetize.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 00:29

A personal favorite from their masterpiece album, Recordings, ironically made-up of B-Sides from the Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream era. I think you may like this one if you haven't heard it yet.

I have troubles ranking albums for favorite bands, seeing it changes so often. 
But i find Insurgentes to be in the underrated company with Recordings. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 00:42
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

A personal favorite from their masterpiece album, Recordings, ironically made-up of B-Sides from the Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream era. I think you may like this one if you haven't heard it yet.

I have troubles ranking albums for favorite bands, seeing it changes so often. 
But i find Insurgentes to be in the underrated company with Recordings. 

That was a really cool song, Horizons. Thanks for sharing. I have ran across the Recordings album many times. I'll probably be buying it next. By the way, I just bought Up the Downstair. The Wilson album Insurgentes is another album I will add once I've gotten the hang of their music once again. I have a lot coming right now and not just all of those PT/SW recordings: PFM, two Can albums, still have all of those Flower Kings albums on the way, two National Health albums, the 2-CD live Marillion album The Thieving Magpie. and the first two Anglagard albums. So, yeah, a lot coming...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 01:14

Deadwing is my favourite PT album. Its a bit more metal sounding than the others. Fear Of A Blank Planet gets load of plaudits understandably and has the required intricacy to please the average prog fan. In Absentia has perhaps the best songs while of the nineties albums I prefer Up The Downstair over The Sky Moves Sideways. Signify was the transition album as Wilson created a proper band to move forwards with. That and Stupid Dream solidfied the style and approach that we now recognise.

Solo wise Grace For Drowning was the album of 2011 by my reckoning. Good to see SW expressing himself fully. The Incident was perhaps an indication that the band was getting a bit stale. Will be interesting to see what the future brings for SW. Maybe he might dip his toe a bit in the 'retro' scene?
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 01:39
I'd say The Sky Moves Sideways. It has certain atmospheres and feelings that I appreciate, which I haven't really heard in SW's other works (except some other earlier songs, perhaps. )It also flows on very naturally throughout the whole album. I don't appreciate much negativeness in music anymore (nothing to do with how heavy it is, just the overall feeling you get when listening to it), so I haven't listened to PT for a while. I'll probably still have to get myself around Grace For Drowning, though, since it has had so many great reviews.
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 02:11
I'm going go out on a limb here and say that Deadwing is a sleeper. Really, I just can't get into that album at all. Arriving Somewhere just goes on for way too long, despite it being a great track nonetheless - the atmosphere that is created is incredible. The title track is rather good, except I'm not too keen on the Mike Portnoy esque vocals in the verses. Wink
Lazarus is probably my most played song from the album - very beautiful, warm. Everything else though, especially the singles (i.e. Halo), loses my interest. I know I'll probably get a lot of flack for this. LOL That being said though, I love PT and Steven Wilson solo material. The guy is one of my favorite songwriters on the past century. He has a very unique approach to crafting his songs and an eclectic, musical mindset - one of a kind. The Sky Moves Sideways and Fear Of A Blank Planet are my two favourite PT albums. The concept of FOABP is something I can relate to and reflect upon.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 02:19
Hmm...I'd probably say Grace For Drowning.

Though my personal favorite is either Stupid Dream or Lightbulb Sun.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 04:22
Fear of a Blank Planet is my favorite, it has a great mixture of moods. Also it is accessible and interesting at the same time. Great drumming as well!
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 05:23
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 05:33
I was gonna ask why he  needed two threads./
kole View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 07:00
Porcupine Tree =/= Steven Wilson. Peter Gabriel has the Genesis thread, and yet...

My favourite album is, surprisingly, Insurgentes. Grace for Drowning is awesome, with that Steven Wilson touch, but leans too heavily on the 70's prog. Insurgentes is fresh, new, innovative music that combines numerous styles and genres and comes out as totally cutting-edge.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 07:11
Originally posted by kole kole wrote:

Porcupine Tree =/= Steven Wilson. Peter Gabriel has the Genesis thread, and yet...
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

I turned up nothing about a topic devoted to Porcupine Tree or Steven Wilson that wasn't a poll in PA's search engine, so here's a thread we all can use to appreciate the music of PT/Steven Wilson.

so... Tongue

He doesn't need two threads.
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 07:44
We don't have a Steven Wilson dedicated thread then?  This one should include IEM, Bass Communion, and no-man then since he only has two self-titled ones.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 10:25
What do you mean by most succesfull?
In sales? In fame? Or which one is our favorite?
In any case I will write my opinion and we'll see...
I believe both in sales and fame are 'Lightbulb Sun' and 'In Absentia'
Mine most beloved ones are 'The sky moves sideways', 'Lightbulb Sun' and a liiitle behind comes 'In Absentia'

If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 10:41
Originally posted by The Jester The Jester wrote:

What do you mean by most succesfull?
In sales? In fame? Or which one is our favorite?
In any case I will write my opinion and we'll see...
I believe both in sales and fame are 'Lightbulb Sun' and 'In Absentia'
Mine most beloved ones are 'The sky moves sideways', 'Lightbulb Sun' and a liiitle behind comes 'In Absentia'

I mean successful in an artistic sense. What album do you feel to be PT's greatest artistic statement to date?
The Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 10:49
ah, ok. Thank you! Smile
Then I'll go for 'In Absentia' I think...
Although I'm not familiar with their latest 1-2 releases...
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 14:06
I bought 'Deadwing' when it came out, never having heard Porcupine Tree before, but having heard good things about them. My initial reaction, and indeed my reaction for about a year was 'bleh'! I didn't care for it one bit, except maybe the song Shallow.

I was coming from the metal side of things though, If I was listening to prog generally it was Dream Theater, King's X, Rush, Queensryche, etc. (even though I got hooked on prog in '76 with Kansas - Leftoverture).

I tried listening to Deadwing several times, it just didn't take. Then one night at work I had my mp3 player on shuffle, and Arriving Somewhere came on....and I finally 'got' it. I've been loving Porcupine Tree ever since, and Deadwing is one of my favorite albums. 

I never thought I'd like the spacier early albums, so I never picked them up. But just a couple of weeks ago I finally broke down and bought The Sky Moves Sideways, and it's incredible. I should have gotten it long ago, but the spacey stuff on Signify kinda turned me off a bit on trying earlier stuff (Signify is probably my least fav, so far).
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2012 at 18:36
I suspect I may be not a hard-core PT admirer, because I don't care much for their pre-Harrison output. The earlier PT were profound and inspired, but a little too experimental and not sufficiently mature (to my ears). Speaking of the lyrics, the weirdness sometimes outweighed the wit, I'm afraid. 

Therefore, I think In Absentia and Deadwing were in a way what Rubber Soul and Revolver had been for the Beatles, a spectacular  transition from a "curiosity" into a "unique phenomenon". Thus, FOABP became their Sgt Pepper and beyond. There is simply no other album that could be compared to FOABP in terms of contents, execution, exquisite musicianship and extraordinary engineering. In my book, FOABP is worth as much as all of the Pink Floyd, King Crimson and Yes output in the early 1970's. . 

The Incident, while an excellent album in its own right, wasn't as fundamental and majestic as FOABP ('Let It Be?')

I also think that Wilson's recent solo albums again shifted towards more experimental contents (the absence of Gavin Harrison?), and I have no place in my heart for IEM, No-Man, Bass Communion, let alone Blackfield and Storm Corrosion.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>