Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour views on the next Opeth album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your views on the next Opeth album
    Posted: August 20 2012 at 04:39
Hey everyone.
Its been a while.
I was just figuring out what Opeth plans to do in the future
I found out Mikael Akerfeldt is working on Opeth's next album
It should be quite interesting in the direction they are going.
Its going to be a year since they launched Heritage
I wish they do growls and not fully dwelve into progressive rock. (Even though Akerfeldt has told he might look into growls again)
After Storm Corrosion got over, I am expecting Akerfeldt to do something soon
So, what are your thoughts?
Where do you think Opeth are heading? Will they have growls? Or will they stabilize in the progressive rock scene?
Do post in your inputs
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I personally feel they will probably go into a more "progressive folk" type of genre. Something along the likes of Famine or The Throat of Winter. Maybe a bit of growls but not predominant. Opeth never rests in a single genre. They always move onto something new everytime Smile
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 05:05
Holy Moley Its Moshkito!    

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 06:40
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Holy Moley Its Moshkito!    

LOL

As to the OP, I'm not sure I care anymore. Not since Blackwater Park have Opeth made an album that really wow's me, everything since has been prety bad to OK.

Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 07:21
I hope he got the progressive rock album out of his system and return to some mighty progressive death metal again. Well...actually I wouldn´t mind if there weren´t any growls on the next album, but heavier riffs would make my day. I personally found "Heritage" to be slightly boring and had a hard time getting through the album. I tried and I tried but eventually had to listen to the album in pieces over the course of many listens to digest the full album.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 07:36
^ I wasn't blown away by Heritage either, I still like it, but missed some of the majesty and darkness from them. Some really impressive pieces on the album, but I too hope it's a mix of progressive metal and prog.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 08:34
Mikael has said that the next album will be in the vein of hard rock.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 09:13
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

Mikael has said that the next album will be in the vein of hard rock.
Unhappy count this fan out!

Edited by UMUR - August 20 2012 at 09:14
Gard3n View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 09:46
Well, it can't suck harder than the last...
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 10:01
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Holy Moley Its Moshkito!    

That's what I think every time I see one of those candle avatars LOL.

I haven't seen him around much lately, which is a shame as his posts were thought-provoking, even though they were very hard to understand as English wasn't his first language.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
IMPF View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 10:07
Originally posted by Gard3n Gard3n wrote:

Well, it can't suck harder than the last...

don't be so sure about yourself...
treebeard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 10:43
I didn't like anything by Opeth until the last album.
There's plenty of mileage left in exploring the angle taken on the last album without going back to heavy metal.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 11:19
Here's the interview.

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 11:19
I'm a fan of virtually all stages of Opeth's development (progression? ) & if the next album were to further explore the areas touched on by 'Heritage' I'd be one happy man.

Then again, if they were to go softer still (toward say, the 'Damnation' album) or considerably harder, I'd still be a happy man.

To me, Opeth are one of the more interesting bands in their particular genre & Akerfeldt's leadership & songwriting so far haven't disappointed

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 11:20
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

I'm a fan of virtually all stages of Opeth's development (progression? ) & if the next album were to further explore the areas touched on by 'Heritage' I'd be one happy man.

Then again, if they were to go softer still (toward say, the 'Damnation' album) or considerably harder, I'd still be a happy man.

To me, Opeth are one of the more interesting bands in their particular genre & Akerfeldt's leadership & songwriting so far haven't disappointed

Agree totally.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 11:31
Heritage is pretty much why I've began to get back into Opeth. When Watershed came out, it seemed a little "more of the same" and/or "they might be actually running out of ideas". I see that album differently now, but it's still how I felt back then. That was more of me personally not being in the right head-space for Watershed.

It seems like Heritage is garnering similar opinions and statements online that were garnered when Damnation came out. Yet, nowadays, it's seen as one of their best albums. Opeth are actually being progressive, pretty much always have been. I feel Heritage will age very well.

In the words of Edgard Varese - "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs."

As far as them going in a hard rock direction: C'mon, Opeth have albums like Damnation and Heritage, which got people worried, but in my opinion, those albums are still classic Opeth, even a transitional album like Watershed is still an amazing album. I sense that people think it's going to be some 70s/80s hard rock inspired album. I think Mikael just wants to bring some aggression back to the music, either composition-wise, or production wise, considering Heritage was a very low-key album as far as production went. Even though I've fallen in and out of love with Opeth over the years for personal reasons, they have never truly disappointed.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 11:46
i'd love to love these dudes, but i just can't stand the death growls.  heritage was good.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 14:34
I liked Heritage a lot.  It's better than Watershed, which is also pretty good.

As long as they don't make another album that sounds like Damnation I don't care.
ValenceGuitar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2012 at 21:59
I felt that many of the riffs on Heritage could have sounded like something off Watershed, Ghost Reveries, or even Deliverance at times had they used a heavier distortion and growled instead of sung.

I agree a lot with darkshade regarding the general quality of Opeth albums, and I think they need to explore a different direction to keep the creative juices flowing without getting stale.  Heritage was good in my opinion, and I was glad that they changed up a bit.  I feel like Watershed was the end of any decent death metal for them.  I'd say that was their weakest album.  Evolve or die.
www.valence.bandcamp.com
www.valence-band.com
appudds View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2012 at 02:47
Nice inputs.
if Opeth were to dwelve into hard Rock, I would be a bit disappointing as i always wanted them to do something more folk. 
But hey. Opeth always make any genre sound awesome and beautiful. So, I believe the next album, even if its Hard Rock, will be amazing.
Heritage was not a single a listen appreciate album. It took me a couple of listens to fully like Heritage. But when you listen to it a couple of times, you will start loving it. The variation each song shows is really nice. But i don't know why, I didn't like the mix in the album. Yes, it sounds vintage, but it sounded dull to me.

Another interesting take would be Opeth taking on something more technically complex.
Imagine If opeth pull out something like Dark Eternal Night from Systematic Chaos by DT...
Crazy instrumental sections
[My imagination is going beyond reality lol]

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2012 at 06:31
Originally posted by appudds appudds wrote:

Nice inputs.
if Opeth were to dwelve into hard Rock, I would be a bit disappointing as i always wanted them to do something more folk. 
But hey. Opeth always make any genre sound awesome and beautiful. So, I believe the next album, even if its Hard Rock, will be amazing.
Heritage was not a single a listen appreciate album. It took me a couple of listens to fully like Heritage. But when you listen to it a couple of times, you will start loving it. The variation each song shows is really nice. But i don't know why, I didn't like the mix in the album. Yes, it sounds vintage, but it sounded dull to me.

Another interesting take would be Opeth taking on something more technically complex.
Imagine If opeth pull out something like Dark Eternal Night from Systematic Chaos by DT...
Crazy instrumental sections
[My imagination is going beyond reality lol]

I think Heritage was definitely an improvement over some of the growlier albums, that never really impress me these days. Maybe in short bursts but not the over indulgence in growls on some of Watershed, Deliverance and Ghost Reveries. I would say their best albums for proggers are Heritage, Damantion and Ghost Reveries without a doubt, though Still Life has to get a mention - there's some astonishing songs on that one. As long as they dont go back to death metal gravel spitting vocals I will be happy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>