Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSongs Of The Century: ATribute To Supertramp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Songs Of The Century: ATribute To Supertramp
    Posted: August 21 2012 at 23:53
this is a very interesting album, lots of prog and aor stars/musicians preforming Supertramp songs, people from John Wetton, Rick Wakeman, Roye Albrighton, Annie Haslem, Toni Levin, Peter Banks, Tony Key, Gary Green, Rod Argent, Jordan Rudess, Colin Moulding, Chris Squire, Billy Sherwood, Richard Page, Steve Porcaro, Steve Morse, Larry Fast, Mickey Thomas, David Sanchious, Robert Krieger and some others

1. Breakfast In America - John Wetton (Asia) & Larry Fast (Peter Gabriel)
2. Take The Long Way Home - John Wesley (Porcupine Tree)
3. The Logical Song - Mickey Thomas (Starship), Steve Morse (Deep Purple) & Tony Kaye (Yes)
4. Give A Little Bit - Richard Page (Mr. Mister) & Peter Banks (Yes)
5. It's Raining Again - Colin Moulding (XTC) & Geoff Downes (Yes/Asia)
6. Crime Of The Century - Billy Sherwood (Yes), Rick Wakeman (Yes) & Tony Levin (King Crimson)
7. Dreamer - Annie Haslam (Renaissance) & David Sancious (Bruce Springsteen s E Street Band)
8. Goodbye Stranger - Billy Sherwood (Yes), Gary Green (Gentle Giant) & Jordan Rudess (Dream Theater)
9. Rudy - Roye Albrighton (Nektar) & Steve Porcaro (Toto)
10. Bloody Well Right - Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow) & Dave Kerzner
11. School - Rod Argent (The Zombies) & Robby Krieger (The Doors)

Edited by aginor - August 22 2012 at 00:21
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 14:01
I love Supertramp, but hate that version of Rudy. Like most of these "tribute" albums, these things are best heard by the original artist.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 18:23
the version of Crime was actualy good, and the cover of Breakfast in America was cool with Wetton, added a cool vaudevillian twist to it,

but i recomend to listen to the Crime of the Century cover, sent me serious chills up my spine
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 19:15
I never liked this group, but I always listenned to it occasionally without displeasure. Illogical.Embarrassed
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2012 at 19:42
Like most cover albums by prog musicians, it's more interesting the fact that 'x' guy is playing with 'y', but the result is not necessarily good.

I think that Crime, like dozens of classic 70s albums, sound no good covered in this new millenium without the 70s production and analogue technology. But that's just me.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2012 at 14:39
Originally posted by The Quiet One The Quiet One wrote:

Like most cover albums by prog musicians, it's more interesting the fact that 'x' guy is playing with 'y', but the result is not necessarily good.

I think that Crime, like dozens of classic 70s albums, sound no good covered in this new millenium without the 70s production and analogue technology. But that's just me.

It's not just you, believe meWink
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Eleanor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 00:47
Yes, lazland, I agree.  If you're going to be listening to Breakfast in America, Take the Long Way Home, The Logical Song, Give a Little Bit, It's Raining Again, Dreamer, and School, why not listen to the original singer/songwriter, Roger Hodgson?  No one can sing Roger's songs like him.   Roger, co-founder of Supertramp, is currently on his Breakfast in America Tour and is in the midst of his largest US tour in 30 years!  I saw him last month in NH and am still thinking about that show.  It was amazing and honestly the best concert I have ever been to.   Check out his tour dates at http://www.facebook.com/RogerHodgsonOfficial.   His voice sounds even better today than on my Supertramp vinyls.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 01:48
I think sometimes covers can outshine the originals but in Supertramps it is probably to much of a sould that the indivual writers of the tunes have put into it for it to sound good if it is covered, both Ricks and Rogers songs sounds best with Rick and Roger singing the songs, but a tribute to a band is a honourable thing, and if the tributes is done by Prog giants like Wetton, Wakeman and the like I SEE zero problem with it, it is different takes of the songs, and yes what is wrong with honouring bands, and shed some light into the music, i find tribute to be a good hounrable thing, make more people who are not inot Supertramp listen to it, and then navigate towards the bands music, not one of the covers are as good as the originals, but they are doing a fine job, and im sure Roger likes it more then the Paris DVD, im prettty 90% sure of that, and im sure he is flatterd, that prog giants like Wetton, Wakeman, Squire, Gary Green and the likes is doing their best to houner the music he and Rick made...

this is my stance, but it will an can change Wink
NickHall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2012 at 10:30
My feeling about Supertramp is that they wrote a couple of great songs but not enough good ones. But this sounds a very interesting album, will definitely check it out, thanks!
Maurstar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2012 at 22:33
I really love the treatment that Supertramp commercial songs got in the tribute album. I only wish now that many non-commercial prog songs of Supertramp had been given the treatment, but those songs were clearly avoided, except for crime. I wish a full cast of prog musicians would have had a go at Fool's Overture, for example. The thought of it just brings chills up my spine.

Edited by Maurstar - November 22 2012 at 22:33
NickHall View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 15:52
sounds interesting, and has the best of Supertramp songs.
 Post Reply Post Reply