Topic ClosedSupertramp release live In Paris 79 DVD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supertramp release live In Paris 79 DVD
    Posted: August 23 2012 at 13:45
Supertramp will release the video portion of the live LP from Paris in 1979. Unfortunately, there is no US release for this, but you can buy it on Amazon UK.

Here's a article with the co-producer Russel Pope on the subject of how they have restored the tapes of that show.

http://www.breakfastinspain.com/supertramp-press-and-media/restoration-of-paris-tapes

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2012 at 13:52
I've often thought there should be more Supertramp live footage available.  Glad to hear this is coming out!

edit: the link doesn't suggest that they've actually approved it for release.  In fact, it states that Rick Davies has been blocking its release.  Has something changed?

edit: again. Google is my friend.  I just looked it up and it is in fact going to be released on Aug 27th.  Good news!

Edited by HolyMoly - August 23 2012 at 14:00
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2012 at 14:42
Good news indeed. A certain purchase on pay day!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2012 at 15:09
 hurray, the legendary concert hurray, Party
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2012 at 15:23
Originally posted by aginor aginor wrote:

hurray, the legendary concert hurray, Party

Yep. The album is still a deeply treasured part of my old vinyl collection. 
ImagineAllTheColours View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2012 at 17:18
This is a very pleasant surprise! Roger has been calling for this to happen for many years simply for the fans' sake. His voice sounds even better live today than in Supertramp's heyday. I'm planning on seeing him several times on his current tour. He simply loves what he does, it is clear that Roger is there for the fans! Can't wait for his just announced 2013 tour with an orchestra-- Fool's Overture will be a real treat! :) 
Fox On The Rocks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2012 at 23:22
Nice. Looking forward to this one for sure. Smile I don't think the band ever had an official, legitimate live dvd from the 70's, I think they were just all bootlegs and T.V. concerts.
JIF8882 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 23:45
Why won't this get an U.S release? It should be cleaned up and released on Blu-ray.
J Dawg
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 02:41
^ I checked on Amazon.co.uk and its in Blue Ray format and also region free. So just means a bit of extra postage. 
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 07:43
Read this from Roger Hodgson about this release, looks like i will get a illegal copy of the concert.

http://www.breakfastinspain.com/newsflash/rogers-comments-about-the-paris-live-dvd

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 10:04
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Read this from Roger Hodgson about this release, looks like i will get a illegal copy of the concert.

http://www.breakfastinspain.com/newsflash/rogers-comments-about-the-paris-live-dvd

Roger is really good at writing Shocked, very presice, almost a perfect handbook for newbie bands on how band relationships and ownerships to music shall never become like, this is the very dark side of music buisness which every young band should print out and read, and should be printed in every music school, Buisness school, conservatories coriqulum.

Roger is a very well spoken and know how to express him self pretty clear, thats what makes him also so good lyracist, he know how to write poigenant and clever, Clap , never give up your right Roger, never let rec comps run you over.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 12:01
Well, a fascinating and very well written article, which has persuaded me not to get this particular release.

ShameCry
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 13:59
So, I received my illegitimate Blu-Ray of that concert. Too bad for the illegal issues. Despite this, i enjoyed what i have seen so far, mainly because it's a rare item to have, but it left a bitter taste in my mouth thinking that we could have a more complete DVD, if all the 5 members had  approve this release and works together to make it something of a better quality.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 14:39
Well, I'd like to read the other side of the story from the guys, before deciding.  All I know is I'm tired as hell of great archival footage sitting in vaults because of the egos of these guys.  Not just Supertramp, lots of bands.  Get the material out so people can enjoy it. 

If anyone finds "the other side of the story" regarding this, please post.  Thanks in advance. 

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 14:54
I had already pre-ordered it and now its winging it way to me so I can't stop it unfortunately.
Anyway I assume (hope) that Hodgson and Davies will get their fair share of royalties?

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2012 at 15:00
^ ^Rick's opinion would be most useful cos he wrote as much material as Hodgson. But he is such a recluse we will probs never know. I do believe the other three members have a say but the DVD release should have had all five in sync on the matter

Edited by Chris S - August 28 2012 at 15:01
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Eleanor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 03:07
Here is the link to Roger Hodgson's Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/RogerHodgsonOfficial.  It has a lot of comments from fans regarding how they feel about the release of the Paris DVD.  I agree a lot with what the poster said, except I do tend to lean a little more in favor of the points Hodgson is making.  If only Bob, John, and Dougie had let Roger know that they were continuing with the project, things could have turned out so very differently.   In spring and summer 2011, Roger worked with them in a spirit of collaboration for months and invested a lot of time and money into it.  He actually has an agreement in writing from Eagle Rock, the label, as to what was agreed upon regarding what would be included in the DVD.   Roger was told the project would be shelved for the time being because Rick had artistic issues with it and that it would not be released until worldwide rights were attained, so the project was temporarily dropped.   The plan was to work on getting the worldwide rights and then resume collaboration.  

However, things did not go as agreed upon.   Bob, John, and Dougie continued working with Eagle Rock in putting the DVD together behind Roger's back even though they knew he was fully supportive of it and had worked for months on what the final product would include.  Not only did they and Eagle Rock go behind Roger's back in getting the DVD released, they also did not give him writers credit on any of his songs that were included, even though he owns the approval rights to them.    In fact, it appears the band members even want to hide from the public that Roger and Rick were the two songwriters of Supertramp because there are no songwriter credits anywhere on the packaging. A lot of the public doesn't  know who the songwriters were - they just know the songs as Supertramp songs. So, for Roger and Rick to not be given credit is underhanded and illegal.    Hodgson is rightfully speaking up not only for himself, but for all artists, as this sets a precedence for works illegally used. 
Candyfish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 12:33
It seems to me that’s incredible how these people can jump over laws on copyright, and put out a product with so fraudulent and dishonest way.

I'm a great admirer of Supertramp music in general, and Roger Hodgson's voice, songs and compositions particularly; the truth is that Supertramp hadn't ever been what it was, if Roger Hodgson hadn't been involved, because he composed all the great hits which led the band to the top in music history, some years ago ...

I'd love to enjoy this great Supertramp concert, Live in Paris 79's, which put me in connection to what today is still present in my life, and will accompany me forever, Supertramp songs led by
Roger Hodgson in that time and all Roger's albums and songs, when the band parted ways and he started his solo career. 

To me, personally, there is no comparison between what was Supertramp with Roger Hodgson, and Supertramp without him; simply, Supertramp was over, but we were very fortunate to can following his solo career, and can enjoy his old and new songs with the sublime quality he composes them.

As I've said before, I'd love to enjoy this concert, but only if this DVD-Blu Ray would be released legally, and not taking away songwriters rights who appear in this film, using unauthorized images or photos of them, and without the approval of songwriters and publishers... and of course, the way it has been made.

I won't be one of the people who purchase this DVD, BluRay, and I hope that justice and laws put in its right place to everybody, I wouldn't feel good to myself, and it would be like betraying the person who composed these songs and disappoint my own integrity .....

There's no better way to enjoy this concert, as attending a Roger Hodgson concert live, taste the quality of his compositions live; if you even haven't had a chance, try it, the connection will be fulfilled and you'll be thinking about attending the next one ......

Edited by Candyfish - August 30 2012 at 15:28
Maria Sinclair View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 15:21
Chris S., you said Rick's opinion would be useful.  Well, here it is...albeit through his wife, Sue:  

Sue Davies posted on the Yahoo Supertramp Group:  "Rick was unaware of the release of this DVD.  It was done without his consent and/or approvals which were not granted mostly for artistic reasons.  As to any of the other issues surrounding the release, Rick has no comment now nor will he have in the future."

So, there you have it.  Both of Supertramp's songwriters, Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies, are clearly stating the same thing - neither of them knew anything about the release of this DVD.   HIghly unethical and lacking in morals on the part of Bob, John, Dougie, and Eagle Rock.   Not to mention, the legal injustices.   They should all be ashamed of themselves.

Eleanor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 01:39

For those who haven't seen it yet, I thought you might want to read the letter that Roger Hodgson released to his fans.  It's on his Facebook page.  The outpouring of support is astounding.   Some of the comments are really touching.  Read the comments at https://www.facebook.com/notes/roger-hodgson-official-facebook-page/rogers-response-to-paris-dvd/491463960881633.

Dear friends and fans,

Many of you have asked me about the status of the Paris DVD, so I wanted to write to you directly with the latest news.  Unfortunately many laws, both legal and moral, were broken and the Paris DVD is now about to be put out using illegal and unethical methods.  It is now in the hands of attorneys to resolve the legal dispute between the publishing company and the labels.  I don’t know which side will win, yet what I’ve learned in the music business, it’s usually whichever attorneys have the most funding, not necessarily the ones who are in the right.

What Eagle Rock and John, Bob and Dougie (who are calling themselves “the Supertramp Partnership”) are trying to do is to take away our songwriters rights. Legally, a label needs songwriters’ and publisher’s approval to put this type of product out and instead they are twisting some kind of legal loophole trying to say they don’t need the required licenses. Songwriters are given legal rights and yet in the industry, they are getting ripped off in all kinds of ways and if this goes through, it is going to make things even more difficult for songwriters. What they are trying to do in claiming they can take away the songwriters and publishing rights could make it possible for other labels to do this to other songwriters in the future.  

An attorney friend of mine who has been in the music industry 40 years who is also a publisher and has worked a lot with the Beatles catalog said he has never heard of anyone doing this in the music business - for a label to try to put out a DVD without the publishing company and songwriter’s approval. This whole issue is much bigger than this one DVD.  They are not only trying to take away rights from Rick and myself as songwriters, they are affecting the rights of songwriters all over the world with what they are trying to do.  

Back in the spring and summer of 2011, I was working with the band and Eagle in a spirit of cooperation to release the Paris DVD.  I spent many, many hours reviewing and giving artistic feedback and edits – and this was only at the very beginning of putting together the DVD. There were many things I compromised on, yet we told them I would give my songwriters approval and other rights that I have as a founding member of Supertramp as long as they incorporated the minimal things I asked for – and that they agreed to in writing and then I heard nothing else about it. 

Last summer we were told that the DVD was shelved because of whatever quality issues Rick had with it, he did not approve of the release.  And we were told Eagle would not release the DVD until they got approval from the publishing company, who represent the songwriters - so I thought the project was dead.  Then a few weeks ago I found out the band guys had been working on the DVD all this time secretly behind my back, completely violating the spirit of cooperation I had been in with them up until then.

The only reason I even received a copy was because a fan let me know it was coming out and I asked Eagle to send me one, which I received just a few days ago - after it has already been shipped to distributors. I was shocked receiving the DVD completely manufactured and shrink wrapped before I’d even seen it!  There is a whole montage of pictures, bonus materials and liner notes which I have never seen and have never been given the opportunity to comment on. They are putting out a product that is supposed to be representing all five of us, and it’s not.  It is only representing the three of them. 

Bob, John and Dougie are representing themselves to Eagle as the ‘Supertramp partnership’ and the contract is just between the three of them and Eagle. Whether you are a Rick fan or a Roger fan or both, I feel all fans would agree that it’s not right for the three non-songwriters to control the Supertramp catalog, claiming I have no artistic voice, no input, no say at all in the creation of any Supertramp products, and yet they want to use my performances, my image and likeness and my songs. 

To have received this DVD all packaged at the very last minute feels very out of integrity.  They have not kept their agreements and have not honored my artistic, creative, technical or editorial inputs at all.  For example, I wanted the songs to have correct writer’s credit and for it to be delineated who wrote which songs. And instead they have gone so far as to completely bury who the songwriters are from the public.  There is no credit being given to the songwriters or the publishers on the packaging or the film yet credit is being given to the merchandisers, the trucking company and who dressed up in a monkey suit. They don’t list the songwriters at all, giving the illusion to the public that Supertramp wrote the songs, which is not true at all.  And they know how important it has been to me as a songwriter to have my songs delineated.  That is the only thing that I had to help me continue on with my career beyond Supertramp. 

I know the three of them are going to say they are doing it for the fans, but that is not what is really going on. If they were really thinking about the fans, they would know that fans would want me to have input on the DVD. This isn’t about the fans or about the music.  This DVD is about a power play, it’s about money, control, envy and underhanded music business tactics and I want nothing to do with it.

For me I truly was getting involved because so many of you have said you wanted a DVD from one of the concerts when I was with the band. And I hope you can understand that while I always wanted something like this out there, I cannot approve of a product that is created with this kind of manipulation and deceit because I believe that the energy and where you come from when you create something is very important.

The other reason I wanted to work on the DVD was to ensure that all five members could share their experiences from that tour, and I wanted to make sure it would be the best quality product possible.  Unfortunately, I also cannot endorse the DVD because of its technical shortcomings, editorial inaccuracies and poor quality.

So I don’t want any fans out there to be fooled, and for anyone who decides to buy the DVD, I wanted you to know this DVD was created out of very questionable legal maneuvering.  The band that you see playing on the DVD has not existed for 30 years. Now it’s all about business and the business part of music can be ruthless and backstabbing, just as any other business can be.  That is one of the reasons I left LA and wanted to get out of the music business all those years ago.  It’s not how I want to live my life and it’s not why I do music.  

This is one of the reasons that I’m happier now than I ever have been touring the way I’m touring – not caught up in the music industry and all the ugly parts of the business.  No record label owns me, no publisher owns me, no managers own me, no agents own me.  I can stay true to myself and tour when I want, how I want. I can play to 3000 or 85,000 or anywhere in between – I’m ok not playing huge arenas anymore, it’s about playing music to help make people happy, it doesn’t matter what size the audience is.

I became a musician when I was 12.  It’s what I love to do and it’s what I’m good at.  And I will continue for as long as I can travelling around the world doing concerts. For me, one of the most important things as an artist is to play music for the art, for the magic that’s possible with music to help lift people’s spirits, help open their hearts to receive some healing and relief from all the troubles in this world.

I want to keep this Paris DVD issue separate from what I’ve been striving for all these years as an artist, my reasons for touring and playing music. I know many of you wanted to know my thoughts about the Paris DVD, so that is why I’m just sending this to the fan sites and you’re welcome to leave any comments there on the sites.

For something more positive and uplifting, you can visit my Facebook or website guestbook and read some really amazing and touching stories from fans around the world. I so appreciate you all and am fully aware that if it wasn’t for you loving the music or my songs I wouldn’t be out here performing like this. Reading your stories and experiences from the shows is my inspiration.

With love, 

Roger

P.S. You can also find my tour schedule on the website and events tab on Facebook – hope you can join me.   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>