Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beardfish Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 10:56
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

I ordered the CD, but I bought it with my preorder of the new Marillion to save on shipping, but now I think Amazon is going to ship both them together.... in October. Cry

Why would they do that?
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 16:05
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I ordered the CD, but I bought it with my preorder of the new Marillion to save on shipping, but now I think Amazon is going to ship both them together.... in October. Cry

Why would they do that?

It saves shipping cost to send one box. I bought both from Amazon, so it's all coming from the same place.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 16:10
I bought the new one too, with the new Saga and the new Kaipa.  Expected delivery date is tomorrow, but with any luck they may be waiting for me when I get home tonight.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 16:15
I forgot about the new Kaipa. I'll have to go back to my local shop next week or something.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 16:26
I would love it if my local record shop had new prog albums. They tend to carry the big names in stock, but never the little ones. I could always special order them, but my other problem with them is their prices on new CDs are always unbearably high (I've seen new released priced at $18 before).
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 16:29
Sort of the same thing here.  Once in awhile I find a new Prog CD at the local store and I gobble it up.  I do find them at the FYE but I find them to be expensive, although I will still buy from there just to hopefully make somebody say hmmm..prog music is selling in this area.  It seems silly to have the local store order something for me though, when I can just as easily go on-line and order it myself.  The local store isn't going to give me any deals on a special order.
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 16:35
The FYE near me tends to have good prices and a half-decent selection, at least with progressive metals (I rarely see Symph X and the ilk there, but I've seen Ihsahn, Enslaved, Dir en Grey, Pelican, and other varieties). I got Dum Spiro Spero for I think $9 there, which was awesome. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 16:39
Honestly, the shop by me is really the only place to get CDs anymore, most of the FYE's have shut down or moved, and Best Buy has less and less CDs every day. I'm lucky that my local shop has a prog section, a jazz section, and a funk section that is generally updated whenever most new albums come out, and sometimes older stuff too. What's weird is the guys who work there don't really listen to prog rock, but I wonder who keeps up with it...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 16:46
I did buy Flying Colors and the Opeth's Heritage at the Best Buy when they came out.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 17:38
yeah, surprisingly best buy has been pretty good over the last year.  filled out some rush for cheap, new releases of fairly popular indie bands (arcade fire,wilco) flying colors and dream theater.  my local stores are either a rare vinyl shop or the hipster store which would laugh me out of the place if i preordered a third wave prog disc.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 17:41
No mail at all today.  Hopefully my order comes tomorrow.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 20:15
I thought for sure one of my local shops would have The Void, considering it's on the Inside Out label and they had The Flower Kings new album, but no dice.  Maybe they'll get it next week.  Otherwise, I'm yet again going to Amazon.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 21:00
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I came here to mention that I'm on my 4th listen of The Void, and it's starting to grow on me. I was kinda disappointed on the first listen too, except for Ludvig & Sverker which I liked right away (and the bonus piano version even more). The only thing I'm not getting is the epic "Note". It just seems to be there, for 16 minutes. But epics take time to appreciate so we'll see.
Interesting!  I too have found the piano version of "Ludvig & Sverker" to initially be the most memorable track on the album.
Only listened to it twice so far, though.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 21:04

I would love it if my local record shop had new prog albums. They tend to carry the big names in stock, but never the little ones. I could always special order them, but my other problem with them is their prices on new CDs are always unbearably high (I've seen new released priced at $18 before).
I got the new Beardfish and Kaipa, and also Headspace, all at my local shop on Tuesday.
Nice!  They were $13.99 and $14.99, which isn't great, but it's better than $18.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 21:37
I have listened a few times as well. I agree with everyone else that initially Ludvig & Sverker stuck out as the best at first, but the rest of the album has gotten better as well. The first half is more metal, but starting with Seventeen Again it's all classic Beardfish material. I'd give the metal half 3 stars but the rest I'd give 5 stars, coming in at just above a 4 star album, I definitely like it more than Mammoth just for the second half. The first half was quite disappointing however, but thankfully I'd already heard that from someone else so I was prepared.

Edited by Master of Time - August 30 2012 at 21:38
Hästfågel View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 11:41
I must say, The Void gets bette and better after every listening. First, i was like meeh. Then i found the amazing track Ludvig & Sverker, which imo reminds me of their masterpiece "and the stone said...". After a few more listenings, my other favourites are "Note" , "This matter of mine" ,"voluntary slavery" and "he already lives in you".

I have a feeling that this album will go straight into my top 10 list for 2012 after a few more listenings. Btw, 2012 might be the best prog year in a long long time. 
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 12:40
I've heard The Hunter and I like it. Reminds me a little of Gente Giant. I'll probably explore them some time soon.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 21:36
I picked up The Void today.  Let's just say while I like the album as a whole so far, the first half will take a few listens to fully get into.  The back half won't be that hard to get into, though.

On my first listen, I really enjoyed "Seventeen Again", "Ludvig & Skerver" and "Note".  I liked the first part of "Voluntary Slavery", but then the heaviness kinda got stale.  I'll definitely keep listening, though.  A pretty intriguing album.

Edited by MillsLayne - September 06 2012 at 01:52
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 18:37
The live DVD included with Mammoth is really fun to watch. I almost forgot about it until I decided to go through my Beardfish albums, and when I got to Mammoth, I decided to throw on the DVD first. 
Knobby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 18:54
I have not heard "Void" yet, but the three forums I frequent general opinion  is...this cd is best avoided altogether.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>