Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Beardfish Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Beardfish Thread
    Posted: August 26 2012 at 13:23
I thought we should have a thread dedicated to this great band. I couldn't find a pre-existing one, so I thought I'd start one. I love Beardfish, and their new album "The Void" has been getting rave reviews on other sites, I've even seem comments that it's as good as Sleeping In Traffic Part 2.

My local shop has "The Void" and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Big smile

Edited by darkshade - August 26 2012 at 14:16
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 14:59
This is a band I still have to check out, where should I start?
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 15:20
I heard that The Void will be more of a prog-metal album. Is that true, or am I dreaming?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 17:33
I didn't know they released a new album, this is great news. I love both Sleeping In Traffic albums, fantastic stuff really but couldn't get into Mammoth, it was a little boring.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 18:35
Originally posted by Anthony H. Anthony H. wrote:

I heard that The Void will be more of a prog-metal album. Is that true, or am I dreaming?

It appears so, i've seen a video where, once again, they make their sound much more heavier.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 18:45
But it still sounds like Beardfish, just heavier.  I think it comes out in a couple of days.  I'll be ordering on day 1. Big smile
Anthony H. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 18:45
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

It appears so, i've seen a video where, once again, they make their sound much more heavier.

That discourages me. Mammoth was a bit disappointing.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 18:47

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

That discourages me. Mammoth was a bit disappointing.

I liked it, just agreed. I wish they kept their symphonic style. 

Though this doesn't sound bad, i like it actually. More songs form album on YouTube.

Edited by Horizons - August 26 2012 at 18:49
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 21:25
I like Mammoth. I originally gave it 5 stars, but after the excitement died down, I lowered it to a rightful 4 stars. It's on the same level as Destined Solitaire IMO, just a little shorter, a maybe a little heavier. Their last 4 albums have been four stars, with Sleeping In Traffic part 2 five stars. That's a good one to start with too, Ambient Hurricanes, unless you want the full concept and get SIT1 first.

Apparently the first half of the album is heavy, whereas the second half, the epic in particular, is something completely different; according to a couple fans at the Dream Theater Forums. But you know what, even though they've been getting heavier, they still have that symphonic edge to them, with some quirkiness; they are under Eclectic Prog on PA.

Either way, I sense the music will be different even though they've been heading in a heavier direction.
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 22:17
aren't there a handful of side projects from these dudes?  weren't they all in tangent at some point too?  never really gave them a chance...going to now since the almighty darkshade digs them!
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
chanelhandbags2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Chinese Spam Admin k

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 22:22
I don't know why that I failed time by time in the past, I know today, just because I'm unstable and don't insist all the time.
________________________________________________________________________--
Actions speak louder than words. I'M A SPAMMER FROM CHINA. (Edited by DX)

Edited by DamoXt7942 - August 27 2012 at 00:11
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 22:22
They have side projects, particularly Rikard, who writes most of the music, as far as I know, but they are obscure I think. They were in The Tangent, but they're not featured on any studio albums, maybe a live album, but I don't even think there's that. Funny though, Andy Tillison from The Tangent makes an appearance on the new Beardfish album.

Zumacraig, I started with Sleeping In Traffic part 1 and went forward chronologically, and it worked for me. I later checked out The Sane Day, which is an earlier album, but haven't checked out their debut yet.
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 04:59
I like Sleeping In Traffic pt.1 very much, still need to check the other albums Tongue
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 11:27
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

They have side projects, particularly Rikard, who writes most of the music, as far as I know, but they are obscure I think. They were in The Tangent, but they're not featured on any studio albums, maybe a live album, but I don't even think there's that. Funny though, Andy Tillison from The Tangent makes an appearance on the new Beardfish album.

Zumacraig, I started with Sleeping In Traffic part 1 and went forward chronologically, and it worked for me. I later checked out The Sane Day, which is an earlier album, but haven't checked out their debut yet.

listening to Traffic 1 on spotify.  good stuff.  thanks for the recommendation.  i think one of the dudes has an organ/drum duo.  that sounds interesting.

the tangent connection is crazy.  can you imagine being in a band that is actually two bands with different sounds and ideas about music ;-)  now that's progressive.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 11:33
Originally posted by zumacraig zumacraig wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

listening to Traffic 1 on spotify.  good stuff.  thanks for the recommendation.  i think one of the dudes has an organ/drum duo.  that sounds interesting.

the tangent connection is crazy.  can you imagine being in a band that is actually two bands with different sounds and ideas about music ;-)  now that's progressive.

Cool! SIT1 is my least favorite of their last 4 albums, not counting the new one which I haven't heard yet. The sequel SIT2 is the best one I think.

I would love to have had a Tangent album with the lineup just being Beardfish, and Andy Tillison.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 14:08
I have the 2 Sleeping in Traffics and Mammoth.
Mammoth is my least favourite, while I like both Sleeping In Traffic on a very similar level, difficult to choose one of the two.

Mammoth is the special edition with a Live DVD so I know a few older songs as well. I'm not very fond of the sound becoming heavier, I prefer their eclectic with a bit of symphonic angle.

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 20:29
Just finished The Void, and while I can't make much comments and will need to give further listens, I can say that while the band have been moving in a heavier direction lately, this new album is pretty different from the last two albums.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2012 at 21:33
I hope you guys are all getting a copy of The Void. It's intense. On one hand, it's heavy, and different from past albums, but it's also pretty complex, and I'm still wrapping my head around the music. It's a grower for sure. One of the best in 2012, I'm sure.

This band seems to evolve stylistically every two albums. 

The first 2 albums--------Sleeping In Traffic I & II--------Destined Solitaire and Mammoth---------The Void
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 10:11
I came here to mention that I'm on my 4th listen of The Void, and it's starting to grow on me. I was kinda disappointed on the first listen too, except for Ludvig & Sverker which I liked right away (and the bonus piano version even more). The only thing I'm not getting is the epic "Note". It just seems to be there, for 16 minutes. But epics take time to appreciate so we'll see.

The band really upped the riffage and 'metal' in their sound, at least for the first 4 tracks (not including the introduction). But they still write great melodies. I didn't expect such a departure in their sound for those early tracks, but like I said, it's been growing on me.

Edited by darkshade - August 30 2012 at 10:20
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 10:52
I ordered the CD, but I bought it with my preorder of the new Marillion to save on shipping, but now I think Amazon is going to ship both them together.... in October. Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>