Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMoogg for...Canterbury scene?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moogg for...Canterbury scene?!
    Posted: August 29 2012 at 18:09
Hello all!

I was surprised to find the following band not currently on the Archives, especially considering their debut album is a terrific Canterbury styled album, with enough unique musical elements of their own. Caravan is certainly a big influence on these Italian guys, but they’re hardly a straight rip off. I’d heard one or two tracks online and placed an order with Greg Walker’s Syn-phonic instantly. It’s been a huge favourite of mine for months now!

Their debut album `Le Ore I Giorni Gli Anni’ was released on Mellow Records in 2011, and is a combination of lengthy vocal pieces with long instrumental sections, and fully instrumental tracks. There’s quite an upbeat sound to much of the album, but with slightly more reflective and darker moments as well.

Here are some full-length Youtube samples from the album:

Le Ore I Giorni Gli Anni – the opening track, (pretty sure some Canterbury fans will love it straight away!:
Le Ore I Giorni Gli Anni

Classe 21 - My favourite track on the album, has a few little darker edges throughout – love the bit that starts at 2:15!!:
Classe 21

Gli Arroganti - The fourth track from the album, a lovely and catchy instrumental piece:
Gli Arroganti

Moogugni - Another nice fuzzy instrumental, with a confusing disco element in the middle!:
Moogugni

Finaly, here's a link to the band's website:
Moogg.net

Hope you guys will find plenty to enjoy here! I'm pretty sure there's even more proper clips on Youtube of this album, as well as live footage?

This is the first time I've tried to suggest adding a band/artist, so I hope my post is all in order! I did a search and didn't find any mention of this band, so I hope they haven't already been suggested.

I'd be more than happy to supply a very positive review for the band if they were to be added!

Aussie-Byrd-Brother (Michael).

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - August 29 2012 at 18:36
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 12:45
Hey Michael!

Been digging these guys all afternoon, thanks a lot (and yes you more than adequately make your case for an inclusion. I mean just take a look at some of the other threads in this part of the forum. They're basically a name and a couple of YouTube vids, and if we're lucky a website address. You've provided all of that plus some very accurately made viewpoints concerning the music, a history, how you feel about the music - as well as a reason as to why you consider them eligible for the siteClap

I'll throw them by the hibernating Canterbury team, who sadly don't get fed as much music as I'd like(Where are you new Canterbury acts?!?!?!) Great stuff mateThumbs Up
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 13:51
This sounds really nice.  I always hesitate labeling modern acts as Canterbury as that was more of a scene than a style, despite several foreign acts being classified as such here.  I've "retired" from evaluation, so I'll see if anyone currently has the job and alert them - though I'd be happy to take this on if no one is available and admin is amenable.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 15:58
I'm loving this album too, so being as the Canterbury guys get so little to listen to these days, I'm going to add some more tracks from it here, if that's ok with everyone:

Track 3: "Il perchè di esser me" (soundcloud): http://soundcloud.com/mauromoroni/moogg-il-perch-di-essere-me

The same track played live at Festival di Nistoc, 2009:

Track 5: "Responsabilità":

Track 8: "Welfare botanico":

So now with Michael's original four YouTube links, we have the whole album guys!   Big smile

And just for 'afters', here's their myspace page where you'll find four cover versions of well known tracks of similar style made famous by other bands: http://www.myspace.com/mooggtheband

Enjoy!!!   Thumbs Up

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 17:30
Thanks for your help, David!

Padraic, I know what you mean by the hesitation of labelling modern bands Canterbury, that was actually why I put in the question mark in the heading! I know I've had a few `arguments' with a friend over what constitutes a `Canterbury' band over the years, I even consider Camel as being something of a `default' Canterbury band!

Thanks for the extras too, Yam Yam! I noticed they've even got a cover version of `Nine Feet Underground' which I should check out!

Thanks guys, just happy to spread the word about that wonderful album!
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 23:29
Pat, just so you know, I know at least I'm still (semi-)active as a member of the Canterbury team. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 09:12
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Pat, just so you know, I know at least I'm still (semi-)active as a member of the Canterbury team. 

So what do you think?

edit:  Answer in genre team thread if you prefer to.

Edited by Padraic - August 31 2012 at 09:12
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 14:45
We added them to the jazz site in the Jazz Related Rock genre.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply