Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBelgrad - Xover or what ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belgrad - Xover or what ?
    Posted: September 01 2012 at 07:08

I think this band from Serbia is prog but even with some folk influence they are sometimes classic rock, sometimes floydian, sometimes punk sometimes jazzy with a touch of Canterbury so they are hard to classify. Prog for sure, IMO.

If you try them, listen to the whole album before deciding.

Here's a link from where the album can be bought which contains some basic info about the band.

they are signed with Oskar Records which distributes SBB, Colin Bass, Galahad, Black Noodle Project and so on.

You can listen to some samples here

You can also download the album but I don't know if it's legal. I haven't found a band's website.
Unfortunately no samples found on youtube.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 09:54
Belgrad is a five-piece band from Poland, and members include Jacek Zasada (flute) of Quidam. So, together with Zbyszek Florek (keys) and Emilia Derkowska (voice) from Quidam (at the time, anyway), Colin Bass (of Camel) appears on 3 songs (tracks 6, 7, 11). The general impression of the album is music influenced by British rock from the '70s with a bit of a punkish taste. Track 7 where Colin sings some backing vocals is a cover of the old T-Rex song. Track 11 is a mainly instrumental tune, and Colin's fretless bass has a great presence.

Tracklist:
1. Lawki
2. Uciekajac od Cywilizacji
3. Zlota Klatka
4. Moj Ulster
5. Chlopiec z Mojej Ulicy
6. Amfetamina
7. Children of the Revolution
8. Pierwszy Zbuntowany Najemnik
9. Ostatnia Noc
10. Republika Dupkow
11. Black Hills
12. Czas
This is fine progressive rock music imho, but the bomb-mp3.com link I found to be of rather limited use for samples.

This site lists all sorts of tracks which are vaguely related to the original search criteria, only three of which are relevant to Belgrad however, and these three tracks can all be legally downloaded from their record label's website: http://oskar-cd.com.pl/oskar/oskar_mp3.jsp (scroll down the page to Belgrad, about half way down).

The 'download album' link takes you to mp3va.com which is a cheap source of music, but which requires you to deposit a minimum amount of money before you can download anything at all. They don't actually have the Belgrad album in their catalogue either.

However, all the rest of the tracks except track 9 (Ostatnia Noc) can be listened to via a Polish mp3 search site called wyszukiwarkamp3.eu which is on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/wyszukiwarkamp3, so I'm assuming it's legal otherwise they'd have taken it off there, right?

To save you all the bother of doing the search and sifting through the non-relevant results to find them, I've listed links to all the album tracks in order, including those that are also available from Oskar Records:

No track nine found  Cry

The wyszukiwarkamp links will take you to a webpage where you can stream (or download) the tracks using a normal left click of the mouse, but the oskar-cd.com links require you to right click & 'save as', and you can then put the mp3 files wherever you like. Smile

Enjoy the music - I think it belongs on here.

Edited by yam yam - September 01 2012 at 10:09
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 13:49
The fact that their label publishes SBB and Colin Bass made me think that the band might have been polish Smile.
Many thanks for all the links. Which subgenre do you think they fit better?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 16:11
As you suggested in the o.p., the music is all over the map and hard to classify in terms of just one sub. Crossover is always a possibility, but as the album unfolds there are touches of Heavy Prog, Symphonic, Neo...you name it - but not enough of any one of these subs to get them accepted by that particular team, I fear.

I'd be tempted to throw them over to Eclectic for starters, but that team has a fair backlog and doesn't use progfreak, so it might be a while before we heard anything, let alone saw them added. I'd like to wait until one of the guys in the New Suggestions team has had a listen to the music, and see what they say.  Embarrassed
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 21:05
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

No track nine found  Cry

There is NOW!!!!    Approve
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 16:27
I think it's time for a Bump....
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 18:36
Indeed it is - no one from New Suggestions has passed this on yet...in fact they're not even on progfreak at the moment. Let's give it a day or so, and if nowt happens I'll ask my team what they think the chances are. I originally thought Eclectic though, so would still really like a second opinion before making a move on this.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 15:32
Thanks fellas! I've just seen this - don't have much time tonight but I'll make it a priority tomorrow evening if you still want a second opinion David. Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2013 at 14:55
Thanks Luca, I agree that they should be added to the site.

I can hear the Pink Floyd comparison, mostly in track 12 and also track 5 to an extent. Tracks 1 and 10 have something of Uriah Heep about them (Hammond and wah wah guitar) except not quite as heavy. Some jazz (track 6) and punk-folk (track 4), the remainder is mostly a psychedelic / mainstream cross. Overall it might be a wee bit prog-lite for Eclectic but (like David) I think it deserves a shot there first. David, will I pass it to the team or do you want to do the honours since you have already put a lot of work in to the suggestion? Thumbs Up  
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 04:02
Thanks for checking this one over Chris. Thumbs Up I think the passing on of artists to the sub genre evaluation teams should always be done by a bona fide member of the New Suggestions team. Embarrassed I love doing the research that I do in this particular forum, but am nowhere near qualified enough to make decisions on where to send bands like this one, who are quite difficult to pigeonhole. LOL  So it's over to you then! Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 04:38
Okay-doke. Now in the hands of the Eclectic boys.
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 10:37
And now in the hands of Crossover boys.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 10:39
And indeed, duly added to chart - http://progfreak.com/Belgrad-156665.html?path=pa/recent. Smile

And here's the full 'Czas' album on YouTube to save messing about with all those individual links I posted back in September last year:

Big smile

Edited by yam yam - June 11 2013 at 10:40
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2013 at 12:59
added
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud: